1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBC Dallas and Christmas Wars: Is this Kingdom work?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Christians, according to scripture, are supposed to be "hated." Not sure how that accords with what you are saying above.

I wonder how the fanatical Catholics viewed Martin Luther? Wonder how they viewed all of the protestants? In fact, this is a freedom thing, not just a Christian thing, so I wonder how the Britains viewed the Boston Tea Party? I wonder how the slave owners viewed Lincoln?

People who stand up to tyranny, are always going to be disliked by those in favor of the Tyranny...

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Where has anyone advocated forcing others to do anything?

If you go into a business and they curse you out, will you keep going to that business? You won't? Shocking! Well, by your twisted logic, you would be forcing them watch their language. When we don't apply your twisted logic, we see that you are just exercising your freedom to shop at a place that treats you how you'd like to be treated.

You love to talk about "freedom", yet when conservative Christians exercise their freedom you cry foul. Isn't that a bit hypocritical of you?

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

It is not about "allowing" people to say other things. It is about the many stores FORBIDDING their employees to say it.

And no, Christmas is not a religious holiday. It is a national holiday. Wonder how the liberals would react if a bunch of skin head business owners got together and forbid mention of Martin Luther King day in their stores?

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Putting up a website with a naughty list, having people call in and report businesses not conforming to your point of view and then telling the businesses how they can get off the naughty list is threatening.

5. matt wade

No, it's called capitalism at it's finest.

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Calling it holiday instead of Christmas.

While I don't like it when stores do it, I do believe they have the right to.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not at all. Have you never heard of the Better Business Bureau? Stores that have oppressive, anti Christian policies, that they FORCE on their employees, SHOULD be boycotted.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The store has a right, I think to post posters that say "Happy Holidays" rather than Merry Christmas. But when they instruct their employees not to say it, that is going to far. It is a national holiday.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

While that employee is at work on the companies premises, and representing the employer they certainly have the right.

10. matt wade

I agree with you 100%. The employer has the right to do so.

The consumers also have the right to boycott the store and let others know about their boycott. That's all this is about. For some reason, the liberals on this board don't want others to exercise their freedom and boycott a store.

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So you would also be O.K. with Best Buy telling a Muslim employee that they cannot wear their religious garb, or pray on their prayer rug in their store, but they must refrain from all outward displays of Islam?

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Yes absolutely.

If not and it was your way then a Christian small businessman that owned a retail store would have no rights to ask his employees to refrain from anything they chose to "present" to the customers. Do you think that if he employed say a muslim he should have to allow the employees to promote Islam on their holy days? Or say a Wiccan promoting some weird witch type "holiday"?

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Good, now, do you believe there would then be something wrong with the Muslim choosing not to work or shop there? To inform his friends and family?

Or do you believe he should give into that secularization, and just divest himself of his beliefs?

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I can't speak for what a Muslim should do concerning his convictions.

15. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not see anything wrong with what FBC is doing. I can see how ultra liberals would have a fit over it. The ultra-liberals are more danger to Christianity in public than companies instructing their employees not to say Merry Christmas. (i do not intentionally do business with them)

16. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Havensdad,

Do you think the Christian businessman that owned a retail store should not have the right to ask his employees to refrain from anything they chose to "present" to the customers. Do you think that if he employed say a muslim he should have to allow the employees to promote Islam on their holy days? Or say a Wiccan promoting some weird witch type "holiday"?

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I think in such cases, they should inform their Wiccan friends, and boycott the store. The store is not friendly to their beliefs, and they should not shop there. This is a lot different, though; Christmas is a National holiday, recognized outside the Christian sphere.

For that matter, Wiccans (and other pagans) already do say their greetings, and it is one of the "Merry Christmas" alternatives..."Happy Yuletide"

18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

You didn't answer the question. Should the owner have the right to ask his employees not to promote their personal religious holidays in his store?

19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Is it a Nationally declared holiday?

20. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Can you simply answer the question, instead of avoiding it, by asking other questions instead?