1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FBF: Being a Fundementalist....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrotherJesse, Jun 6, 2003.

1. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

Hello,
    I am curious as to what Fundementalists think about Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. Why do they take the Holy Bible word for word? Also, what exactly do Fundemental Baptists believe? :confused:

[ July 05, 2003, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

2. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

Hi Brother Jesse,

Fundamental Baptists believe all what was written in the Holy Scriptures and obey them strictly as they can.

Harry Potter, Lord of the rings and others promotes witchcraft, and the Holy God abhors such things. We obey the Bible word for Word because it is the Word of God.

Matthew
    5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

3. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

FaithContender,
    Thanks for replying. First off, I do not practice witchcraft. I find it morally and spiritually wrong. It is a sin against God the Father and our LORD Jesus Christ. However, I do like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. They are great stories. Both have expanded my imagination and I've made some good Christian friends on a Lord of the Rings forum and brought someone to Christ on the Harry Potter forum I go to.

One question: Is it OK for an American Baptist to be a Fundemental Baptist? Now, more than ever, I am fearing God and obeying His daily commands and speak out against things that are sinful. Such as witchcraft. You know what? I like being a Fundementalist. [​IMG] Part of this new belief system has to do with BaptistBoard.com and the other part has to do with my own beliefs.

When I immigrate to Inverness, Scotland, I will find a Fundementalist Baptist Church. Then, I will start my studies to get my degree in Biblilogy, Christian literature, & Pastoral studies from the Center for Distance Education at Northwestern College.

4. faithcontender

Hi Bro. Jesse,

God bless you for your desire to follow the Lord in all things. Every Baptist could be fundamentalist and your decision to unite with fundamental baptist church when you emigrate in scotland will surely bring glory to God's name.

For more information about fundamentalism please go to this address: http://www.wayoflife.org

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harry Potter does more than just promote witchcraft; it also promotes, in little ways, lying, stealing, etc. These things are presented in those books as "situational morality"; i.e., if it benefits the heroes of the story, it's okay.

Among other things....

6. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

Don,
    I appreciate your concern. However, I am using Harry Potter to bring people to Christ Jesus our LORD & Savior. On the HP forum I go to, I already have 1 convert. I'm praying for my second.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

I agree with Baptist Believer.

It's sad, but there is so much backbiting and mudslinging that goes on in the fundy group, it's difficult to know who to look to as an example of Christ honoring fundamentalism.

The person I would recommend (from reading most of his posts over the past year, even on the FFF) would be our own Dr. Bob Griffin. He's a solid fundamentalist, but not legalistic. There is much that one can learn from Dr. Bob, even though he wears a bow tie. [​IMG] :D

In Christ,

Laura

9. faithcontender

How do you define legalism? Is it because someone is following the word of God strictly as they can?

10. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

The Bible says it is a shame for a man to have long hair and so, you are opposed to men having long hair. That is NOT legalism. If you believe that if a man's hair touches his ears or is closer than 1/4" from his eyebrows that he is unspiritual then you are a legalist. Legalism attempts to put man made specifications which aren't in the Bible onto Biblical statements. It is easier than trying to discern what the Holy Spirit is telling you.

11. BrotherJesse

BrotherJesse New Member

I think we've gone off topic... :rolleyes:

12. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

No, it's not following the word of God that I would call legalism. It's adding things to the word of God that simply aren't there such as no dancing, dresses only for women, KJVO, etc, etc, etc. and maintaining a condescending attitude, at best, towards those who don't.

13. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

I apologize that a comment I made earlier has gotten the thread off topic. I won't post off the topic again. [​IMG]

FaithContender,
    If you wish to discuss legalism further, you should probably do a search and revive one of the many existing threads on the subject. [​IMG]

14. aefting

aefting New Member

The type of fundamentalism that I belong to does not adhere to the idea that the end justifies the means. "It is never right to do wrong in order to get a chance to do right," as Dr. Bob Jones, Sr. used to say. Winning souls has been the excuse for all sorts of abominable behaviour, both within fundamentalism and in broader evangelicalism. It's time that we all, but especially fundamentalists, step back and rethink what is most important Biblically -- winning souls or glorifying God. Our number one duty is to live for the glory of the Lord. Obviously, that will include a bold proclamation of the gospel but always within the bounds of God's law. 1 Sam. 15:22 should guide us in understading that God delights in obedience over sacrifice.

BrotherJesse, I don't mean to put you on the spot, exclusively or even primarily. I appreciate your zeal. To my shame, I'm sure it exceeds my own. It's just that your statement is representative of a wider problem, I think, within Christianity today.

Andy

15. aefting

aefting New Member

Edited duplicate post.

16. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Sorry Jesse but the Bible speaks against witchcraft so IMO potter should not be used in ministry. I cannot tell you what to do but I feel that we don't need to discuss hary's merits or lack therof on this forum.
    Murph