1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fear For My Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by CJC, Jun 18, 2018.

1. CJC

CJC New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yesterday after the morning service our pastor announced he was leaving and this coming Sunday will be his last day.

The church is only 3 years and 9 months old.
    My family has been there since the beginning.
    Our oldest child works in the Nursery and makes the schedule.
    Our middle child plays the piano, sings and is in charge of Children's Church.
    Our youngest child is a greeter at the front door.
    My wife teaches the Children's Sunday School, helps our son with Children's Church and cleans the church once per week.
    I run the sound for all Services, record, edit and post the messages, run the website, help my wife with Sunday School and clean the church and I help in the Nursery but that is very rare.

We are all very active in our church and I'm afraid that with our church being so small, around 85 members, that this announcement is going to shut us down.

I know of two families that will not be coming back and I know of others that have the defeatist attitude.

I just don't know what to do to keep this church open and I need encouragement and prayer.

• Prayers Prayers x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can’t keep doors open but the HS can. Pray pray and pray.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CJC

CJC New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know I can't keep the doors open, I misworded what I was trying to say...my wife says I do that a lot, lol.

By the way, if your name is for the band, it's my favorite. Maurice White was a genius and Phillip Bailey is fantastic. "I Write A Song" is our song and has been since we met just over 30 years ago in high school.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First - do you have any ideal why the pastor is leaving?

If you are Southern Baptist or some similar group - can you request assistance.

Is there someone mature enough in the church that can take on a leadership role?

I would like to say - dont give up - but there could be several underlying factors.

5. CJC

CJC New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pastor says its because he believes he has taken the church as far as he can. I remember that first day and I remember telling him that it would be a long road ahead. That it will take at least five years before the church really takes off.

We are a Fundamental Baptist Church.

We have older members at our church that have been there with my wife and I since the beginning. All the "Founding" members are there except for one family who left six months after the church started.

Sunday Evening, we are getting together as a church to discuss things going forward. It will be here that we will see who is staying and who will be leaving I believe.

I just have a feeling that we are going to be starting completely over with the original 3 families starting next week.

I know God has a plan for us and while I don't understand what is happening or why, I must continue to have faith that everything will work out. If Gods plan is for us to shut our doors, then I'll be ok with it...it's Gods Will.

I'm here to serve God and to do what He asks of me.

I'm just scared.

6. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By UK standards, a church with 85 members is big - I presume you mean total attendance of families, rather than a baptised membership. Even so it sounds like a fully viable congregation. Even 20 tithing members should be able to support a pastor with the average income, plus expenses.

I do not think a faithful Pastor would leave a church giving one week's notice. Where is his love for the flock he has been serving?

Where were you all worshiping 4 years ago? Now with a building for worship. Are there capable men who would be able to lead the church as a team of elders, preaching in turn?

Where are those leaving the church going? Is there a nearby Gospel church?

May God give you & the other members wisdom as you pray your way forward.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely correct !!!

methinks there is much more to this story that the pastor is not telling.

Even if you are (only) a Fundamentalist Baptist church (as most Southern Baptists are)
    there should still be some other sister churches you contact for assistance.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of our rural churches in this area would be beyond pleased to have 85 members (or attendees). Some are doing well with quite a few less, and the loss of a pastor wouldn't be a major problem. But our circumstances are probably much different than yours, perhaps based on the area we live in, and how long some of these churches have been in existence. The prayer suggestions already given are most important at this time. Perhaps your pastor has been a one man show as well? I don't want to assume too much, but perhaps his own leadership has left you all in this lurch. The men who are capable of leading and teaching should step into the gap at this time, laboring together with God as you go forward seeking someone to supply the pulpit (as necessary) until you find a pastor for your church.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. RayBap

RayBap New Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. RayBap

RayBap New Member

Sometimes we rely too much on our independence. I have observed churches that began as a reaction or a splinter from another congregation and it was so dysfunctional that it became toxic. Nothing seemed to help it grow. One family did everything. What assets does this church own? It's own building or renting space? Sometimes limbs need pruning for healthy growth to flourish. I will pray for you in these challenging days.

11. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't keep it open but you need to put it in God's hand. God doesn't call quitters so don't quit on Him. God is probably moving the Pastor and you need to stay faithful and not give up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pastor DanL

Pastor DanL New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fell your pain as I went through it five times myself. I was fairly devastated when the organizing pastor left. As has been said by other 85 is not that low of a number. I know it may seem like it but God can and does work with the few as well as with many. There are examples where God choose to do His will through a few so that He would absolutely get all the glory. The Church I pastor has gone up and down in number with every pastor she has had including me. If I felt it was time for me to leave and did not would God bless my disobedience? Of coarse not. I am of the opinion that many pastors leave too early but that is between them and God, and He will deal with them as He chooses. About a year ago my sons pastor left with NO notice in what I would describe as a fit. My son who was ordained already was called about six weeks later and the Church has been growing fast since. My advice is wait watch and see what God can do! The Church I pastor is very low in membership currently but I know that this Church has touched thousands over the years and given them the truth and by God's Grace continues to do so. A lot of the time a Church's work is like an Iceberg with most of it's mass hidden from the sight of men.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I resigned my last church I experienced my greatest fear. I had been trying to get the church to make some changes to help the church grow. They fought me on every turn and my wife and I spent several day praying and trying to decided what was best. I felt the best thing for me was to resign and let someone else take over the reins.

I went in the next Sunday and turned in my resignation. I gave them a months notice so they had time to line up speakers until they could get candidates to come in.

Two weeks after my last Sunday the closed the doors and turned the building over to the association. They had a large amount of money in the bank and they gave that money to missions and the associations college. It broke my heart because there was no need to do this. They will have to answer to God. I did all I could do and then I turned it over to God..

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pastored a church for about 8 years. For several reasons, the membership steadily declined until we only had about 10 members. I loved those folks and they loved me. I buried several of them. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving them without a Pastor. The last two years I worked without a salary so we could pay the bills.

I worked with them to find a replacement. We had a man come preach in lue of a call. The fellowship voted against the call. They just didnt feel God's call for that man.

I finally resigned as Pastor and elder and advised the other two they must lead.

The next week, another Pastor filled the pulpit. He eventually became Pastor and the membership has grown to over 150 in less than a year.

God moves as He pleases. The only essential person in any church is God.

Dont fret, trust God, and never think anyone other than God is essential for a church to to thrive.

Peace to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord has not left the church has he?... You are putting to much faith in the Pastor... I agree with what Covenanter said and also rlvaughn... You are still the church!... The Pastor is not the church!... You don't go to church to worship the Pastor... Maybe just maybe the Lord is allowing your church to go through this trial for a reason... Let go and let God!... It will amaze you what he will do!... I speak from experience!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Cry :Cry