1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured FEAR OF GOD

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alex2165, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    FEAR OF GOD.

Some Christians think we should not fear GOD, and they replacing word “Fear” for the word “Respect.” But I believe without question the right thing to do is to Fear the Lord, just like we fear those who have authority over us, and have power over us to decide who is going to live and who is going to die. Shall we then not fear and GOD as well, Who have much more authority and power over our souls than our earthly rulers?

Does respect for GOD goes far enough then it comes to the Lord? Respect sounds like, “He is OK”, “He is fine,” and it actually minimizes the glory and greatness of GOD to its minimum.

FEAR on the other hand generates not only terror and dread of GOD, but also and great respect for Him. I think without true FEAR of GOD no one can have and true respect for Him, because FEAR is a birthplace of respect and honor for One Who is feared. Those whom we respect, we fear them most.

FEAR of GOD is blessing for the family.

Exodus 1.17.21
    17.But the midwives feared GOD, they did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but the left the boys live.
    21.And because the midwives feared GOD, He gave them families.

FEAR of GOD is the source of believing in GOD and generates Faith in His Statutes and in His Commandments.

Exodus 14.31
    31.Israel saw the great work that the Lord did against the Egyptians. So the people feared the Lord and believed in the Lord and His servant Moses.

FEAR of GOD provides justice.

Exodus 18.21-22
    21.You should also look for able men among all the people, men who fear GOD are trustworthy, and hate dishonest gain, set such men over them as officers, over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens.

22.Let them sit as judges for the people at all times, let them bring every important case to you, but decide every minor case themselves. So it will be easier for you and they will bear the burden with you.

2Samuel 23.3-4
    3.The GOD of Israel has spoken, the Rock of Israel has said to me: 'One who rules over people justly, ruling in fear of GOD,

4.is like the light of morning, like the sun rising on a cloudless morning, gleaming from the rain on the grassy land.'

FEAR of GOD prevents people from committing sin.

Exodus 20.20
    20.Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid, GOD has come only to test you and to put the fear of Him upon you so that you do not sin."

Proverbs 16.6
    6.”By loyalty and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for, and by the fear of the Lord one avoids evil.”

FEAR of GOD also prevents wars.

2Chronicles 20.29
    29.”The fear of GOD came on all the kingdoms of the countries when they heard that the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel.”

Nehemiah 6.16
    After completion of the wall of Jerusalem by Nehemiah
    16.And when all our enemies heard of it, all the nations around us were afraid and fell greatly in their own esteem, they perceived that this work had been accomplished with the help of our GOD.

FEAR of GOD is also producing wisdom.

Job 28.28
    Words of Job to Bildad
    28.And He said to human kind, 'Truly, the fear of the Lord that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding."

Psalms 111.10
    10.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom
    , all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever.

In this case I don’t see how “respect” can bring any wisdom.

Proverbs 9.10
    10.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom
    and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.

Proverbs 15.16.33
    33.The fear of the Lord is instruction in wisdom,
    and humility goes before honor.

FEAR of GOD is the beginning of knowledge.

Proverbs 1.7.28-29
    7.The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge
    , fools despise wisdom and instruction.

28.Then they will call upon me but I will not answer, they will seek me diligently but will not find me.

29.Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord,

FEAR of GOD in serves and worship.

Psalms 2.11
    11.”Serve the Lord with fear, with trembling,”

Psalms 96.9
    9.Worship the Lord in holy splendor, tremble before Him all the Earth.

FEAR of the Punishment of the Lord.

Psalms 119.120
    120.”My flesh trembles for
    fear of You and I am afraid of Your judgments.”

Proverbs 24.21-22
    21.My child fear the Lord and the king, and do not disobey either of them,
    22.disaster comes from them suddenly and who knows the ruin that both can bring?

Isaiah 8.12-13
    12."Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what it fears or be in dread,
    13.But the Lord of hosts, Him you shall regard as Holy, let Him be your fear and let Him be your dread.

Jeremiah 5.22
    22.Do you not fear Me? Says the Lord. Do you not TREMBLE before Me? I placed the sand as a boundary for the sea, a perpetual barrier that it cannot pass, though the waters toss, they cannot prevail, though they roar, they cannot pass over it.

Proverbs 2.5
    5.then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of GOD.

Acts 5.5-11
    5.”Now when Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard of it.
    11.And great fear seized the whole church and all who heard of these things.”

First Peter 1.17
    17.If you invoke as Father the One Who judges all people impartially according to their deeds, live in reverent fear during the time of your exile.

Revelation of John 14.6-7
    6.Then I saw another angel flying in mid Heaven with an eternal Gospel to proclaim to those who live on the Earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people.

7.He said in a loud voice, Fear GOD and give Him glory, the hour of His judgment has come, and worship Him Who made Heaven and Earth, the sea and the springs of water.’

Romans 13.3-4
    3.”Rulers are not a terror to good conduct but to bad. Do you wish to have no fear of the authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive its approval.

4.It is GOD’S servant for you good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid, the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of GOD to execute wrath on the wrongdoer.”

Some people presented this verse as an argument against fear.

1John 4.18
    18.There is no fear in love but perfect love casts out fear, fear has to do with punishment and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.

Indeed, if you have perfect love for the Lord and His Commandments, and obey all His Statutes and Laws word to word, and do the works of faith, resist temptations and avoiding doing sin, because you do it out of your perfect love for the Lord, then you have no fear of GOD. Perfect love cannot produce sin, and the fear of GOD plays no part in such perfect love.

So in this case let examine ourselves truly and fairly, how much love we have for the Lord in order not to fear Him.

2. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we be saved without receiving the atonement?
    Rom 5 .11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
    can we be saved without the sealing of the Holy Spirit? Eph 1.13 -14

can we be saved without regeneration?
    Jesus summed it up when He said " What shall it profit a man if he gained the whole world but lost his soul " . So with this in mind we preach and warn the lost about Hell .
    Jesus Has reconciled the world we need to tell and warn the lost that Jesus has done this for them . But they need to recieve this provision through faith . Any other way by deeds of faith or offering up good works is disobedience . The only thing that pleases God is to believe the Gospel . Believe in His Son , Jesus for our sins , which He dealt with at the cross ,for whoever will believe. Your teaching the opposite and is the same teachings the cults teach . Now I say this not to name call , but as a fact .

3. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    //////
    FEAR of GOD prevents people from committing sin.//////

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Romans 2:4 – Or do YOU despise thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee repentance?

4. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of your verses have nothing to do with the Gospel . Your plucking verses from the Old testament out of Context about ISRAEL .They were judged as God's people . If they did well they were rewarded if not they recieved punishment.

5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this thread intended to be about the gospel, Barry?
    It seems the OP wishes to discuss how the Redeemed relate to God. What does it mean for God's children to fear Him? How does that actually play out in our lives?

When I was a child, I feared the discipline of my parents, not because I thought they would unmercifully beat me, but because I knew they had the power to do so if they ever chose to become that angry with me.
    James 2:19 gives us a glimpse of God's power, should he ever grow angry. Fear is a good thing when you know your Father loves you.

James 2:19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

6. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it affects the gospel . This is works salvation hinted at here .

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the OP talking about the unregenerate needing to fear God in order to be redeemed? I didn't see that as I read the OP, but let's ask the OP to clarify.

Is this thread regarding the unredeemed or the redeemed?

8. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    You hopefully never feared you would stop becoming their child if you upset them .

9. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    in order to remain saved ,yes he is .

10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did the OP make that statement. I may have missed it.

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you quote it for me?

12. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    To Barry.

You wrote:
    "All of your verses have nothing to do with the Gospel . Your plucking verses from the Old testament..."

How you missed verses from the New Testament in my post? According to you, verses from the New Testament are not from the Gospel? Do you know Barry what the Gospel is?

I am trying to read you Barry, and more I read you the more I convinced that you are some kind of very angry sectarian fanatic. All you presentations so far based on worthless demagogy, and slogans used too many times in the sermons of the church.

You was so angry for some reason that not a single word in you replies fit the theme of my post, the FEAR OF GOD.

Every single passage and statement in my post is related to FEAR OF GOD and contains word FEAR.

If you have some psychological problems, I will take a different approach to you and will try to reach you malfunctioned mind some other way.

And now, I would like ask you a straight forward question, and this time I am expecting from your straight forward answer, not your usual gibberish, but direct answer.

DO YOU HAVE FEAR OF GOD?

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alex, did you state or imply anywhere that salvation could be withheld if a person did not properly fear God? That seems to be Barry's thought, but since you are the OP, would you speak to that?

14. Alex2165

Alex2165 Active Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Of course not. Barry is the fabricator of lies, and this is not the first time he fabricated something that I never wrote or even thought of.

He completely made it up. There is something wrong with this guy.

I already explain my view on Salvation in the post "To be or not to be."

Fear of GOD is a part of number of godly qualities necessary for every GOD FEARING CHRISTIAN.

Those who have no fear of GOD, they most likely cannot stand against temptation, deceit, lies, and evil, the fear of GOD prevent Christians to sin, and this is very well explained in my post "Fear of GOD."

Concerning Barry, after his unfounded and provocative attacks against me, and fabrications and lies, who inverting, twisted, and bended meaning of my words, I have no desire to have conversations with him.

Life is very short Austin, and it is not worth to spend it on the people who are purposely, outright, refuse to understand you, more over, accusing you of something you never meant.

15. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a bit silly . Your slightly over reacting here ? This is a debate / discussion forum where we are to expect some push back on our comments. Your response here is actually ,well a bit weird ?? "I've never been soooo insulted, you scoundrel. Pistols! at dawn !!!!

16. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one in Christ should Fear God .
    damocles sword is not the motivation for a person in Christ . Grace is the motivation to holiness .
    17For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
    John 1.

17. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospel is 1 cor 15 .1-4 . where it says Jesus died for our sins .

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is false.
    Just as I feared the discipline of my dad, so we fear God as our Father.

Hebrews 12:3-29 Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled; that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears. For you have not come to what may be touched, a blazing fire and darkness and gloom and a tempest and the sound of a trumpet and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that no further messages be spoken to them. For they could not endure the order that was given, “If even a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned.” Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, “I tremble with fear.” But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel. See that you do not refuse him who is speaking. For if they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape if we reject him who warns from heaven. At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.” This phrase, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of things that are shaken—that is, things that have been made—in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.

19. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
    Proverbs 9:10

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
    1John 4:18

• Like Like x 1
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are missing John's context and severely missing God's Sovereign authority and holiness.