1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

February - Reading 10

Discussion in 'Bible Reading Plan 2017' started by Clint Kritzer, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Matthew 14 is quite a story. It's remarkable to think how much an oath meant to people in Christ's time compared to know when they mean very little because they are almost always broken. Do you think if the king did not behead John it would have hurt his reputation or even damaged his ability to control the land he had charge over?

UNP
    Adam

3. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good evening -

First of all, I would like to refer you back to my last night's entry and the link I offerd. I perused this site a bit further and, if nothing else, it is very aesthetically pleasing. Here is the site's homepage.
    Secondly, we keep seeing the word "consecrate, and so I looked up the meaning in the King James Dictionary and found this definition: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> King James Dictionary

Consecrate

To regard as set apart or separate.
    And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to CONSECRATE him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office. (Exodus 28:3)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I want to supply you all with another link that you may find useful in your reading. This is the dictionaries that crosswalk.com supplies on line: http://bible.crosswalk.com/Dictionaries/
    I hope some of you may find use for this resource.

As for Adam's question, it is "admirable", for lack of a better word, that Herod had John beheaded on his oath. The fact that it happened in front of Herod's guest suggest that it may have been pride, but I would encourage others to contribute their thoughts as well.
    I, also, like in the Matthew reading how Christ had compassion on the masses awaiting him on shore even though it appears that he was looking for quiet time to meditate on John's death. I don't think anyone would have blamed Him for saying, "This isn't a good time, folks. I need some 'Me' time." Christ just didn't work that way.

Finally, in Acts, I actually smirked a little bit when I read about Eutychus tumbling out of the window. I guess it's dark humor on my part, but it's kind of funny that even back then people would fall asleep during a long sermon! I wonder if Paul himself learned a little lesson in this?

If the Lord is willing, I will see you all here tomorrow.

- Clint

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Hi Adam: [​IMG]

It's too bad people don't take oaths that seriously today. That has definitely changed.

Something that stuck out to me that has NOT changed is...how far will a man go to satisfy his lust. :confused:

[​IMG]
    Sue

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I noticed a verse in Psalm 33 that makes me think of the terrorism we are experiencing today and another good reason to have the 'peace that passeth all understanding'.

"The Lord bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought; he maketh the devices of the people of no effect."
    Psalms 33:10

Moral of Acts 20:7-9

No matter how long the sermon lasts....don't fall asleep! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Sorry....couldn't resist that one)

[​IMG]
    Sue

6. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith: