1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feeding 5,000 (more or less)...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rubato 1, Mar 26, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

First, I'll take no stand on the feeding of 4000 in Mt being prophetic. That was merely for comparison and future study.

Second, please read my remarks to David and see if that helps.

Third, John was "The Revelator." His "sign" miracles concern prophetic signs, in my view. Taken together, they are really quite an exquisite overview of cross to 2nd coming. If you think you might be interested, I'll post them again (I have in the past to a not-to-enthusiastic response. Mox-nix to me unless I take the time to write a book about all these things.).

skypair

2. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Skypair,

Why do you call John the "Revelator?"

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

He was known for Revelating... :thumbs:

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But what (apart from the number 5) shows you that the foolish virgins are linked to the 5 loaves? Do you believe that every time the number five is mentioned in the bible, or at least in the New Testament, it is a "sign of the church that was left behind"? Could it not just be, as the disciples told Jesus, that there there was a lad there with five loaves and two fish?

As I don't share your eshatology, the whole idea of churches (in the sense of local bodies of people who are "in Christ") being "left behind" is strange to me. (It seems you are saying that I therefore won't get a crown - I'm not sure where that idea comes from, that a believer's eligibility for a crown depends upon his right understanding of eschatology. 2 Timothy 4.8 says that a crown of glory shall be given to all who love Christ's appearing, not just those who have a perfect understanding of it). I know Jesus talked about unbelievers being left, but churches?

I really appreciate the fact that we seem to be able to have a good-natured debate, even though we don't always agree. Thank you Skypair. :laugh:

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

He wrote "The Revelation" -- the last book of the Bible. I make the point because it seems he wrote more prophecy than people realize and it wasn't just in The Revelation.

Ever wonder, for instance, why Jesus took Peter, James, and John to all the "special events?" There are prophetic reasons here, too.

skypair

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

Ruins the theory, David! :laugh:

Mainly, John has already invited us to analyze the miracles as "signs." Dr Rogers used to have them all showing different details about salvation. I, by the Spirit, just happen to pick up on a prophetic thread. So no, every 5 does not speak to the left behind church.

Actually, there are 5 wise virgins, too, right? They can be verified in Rev 2-3 as well. And no, I don't think Jesus did serendipitous, meaningless "sign miracles."

David, do you believe in the "visible church" and the "invisible church?" These are what foolish and wise virgins respectively mean.

As to the "crown" thing -- it is required (as I see it) that one LOVE the Lord's appearing. Some -- and John suggests this is a possibility even among believers -- will not be so happy to see Jesus when He comes. Even Philly whom I believe ALL will be raptured will have those who lose their crown. They will not be "ready" and having us be ready is one reason why God hasn't revealed to us when that day will come.

skypair