1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feeding the Sheep or Amusing the Goats

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 28, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved".

Not "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and commit upfront to a lifetime of discipleship and be saved"

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Paul told the Philippian Jailer to believe on the LORD Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31). I ask you, What does it mean to believe on Jesus as Lord?

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Saving faith involves a trust and commitment to follow Jesus as Lord, but I don't believe it is a trust or commitment that involves something like: This is what you need to do to begin with.

2. Rather, I see it as a surrender of self to Jesus as Savior and Lord.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Exactly - the gaoler was told to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. It is not that obedience to this glorious Master was a prerequisite of his salvation, but once saved, out of love for his new Master, the gaoler would want to serve Christ. Ephesians 2.10:

10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.​

And with Saul/Paul himself, it was only after the Lord had met him on the Damascus road that he asked, "Lord, what do You want me to do?"