1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Female Chaplains

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what would you do the other two weeks?

ktn4eg Would that have been Roy Grisby, in Sembach?

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is a good post. Of course, Paul supported gender equality in ministry.

And I wouldn't join the military because I cannot be involved in slaughtering other image-bearers at the whim of a government I don't trust. Protection is one thing. Aggression is another.

But that's not the point of this thread, anyway. I think the attitudes I've seen here are unbelievable. Why would you skip the female sermons? Afraid you might learn something from a woman? There is nothing wrong with it, and we won't even be having this conversation in 25 years because evangelicals will be embarrassed they once opposed women in ministry.

3. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. I have no issue with female chaplains.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Should one consider a chaplain to be his/her pastor?

Strictly speaking, would you say that the NT would view a chaplain to be exactly the same as a local NT church pastor?

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

God, through Paul, wrote the Scriptural standard here. The idea that He called for "equality in ministry" is wrong. That teaching is a sad result of the sexual revolution. There is equality in salvation. However, people...men and women, have been given different roles in the home and in the church. This is seen clearly when we stop handpicking verses and keep them in context instead. While Galatians 3:28 is a stronghold for the liberal scholars on this issue its context is salvation alone and is not a call to end gender differences in all areas of life. This is seen by God telling us, again through Paul, in Ephesians chapters 5 and 6 how people are to live in their God-ordained roles as husband, wife, parent or child, slave and master. 1 Peter 2 and 3 also addresses our behavior in specific positions.

1 Timothy 2 addresses the authority issue in church, telling us women are not to have authority over men. This is the context that we move into 1 Timothy 3 with. Men alone are to elders. Men and women can be deacons.

Therefore, by refusing to sit under the preaching and teaching of a female chaplain for a church service we are holding to God's own biblical standard. That is a good thing as it honors God, honors His Word, and one would hope it also encourages men and women to do the same.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You are reading these passages through lenses colored by your own perspective. You're the one who isn't reading the passages in their context, and you're the one who is choosing to ignore the passages that do deal with women in ministry. All of the verses you mentioned, when interpreted in light of their context, do not prohibit a woman from fulfilling any role in the Church. Without reading them in their proper historical and grammatical context, you cannot determine what the passage has to say.

And this issue was most certainly not borne out of the sexual revolution. That's just when you began hearing about it.

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You are assuming I did not spend a great deal of time studying the passages, including word studies and considering the historical and cultural contexts. You are wrong in that assumption. It is in fact what I did and that was how God led me to no longer believe as you believe now.

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jaigner, the difference is that men think with their minds while women think with their hearts. Men are by nature hunters while women are by nature, nesters.

A man's role and responsibility in life are different. Our Lord ordained it that way. Not saying that women should not ever bring forth a message..., it just isn't their responsibility to do so.

Regarding the military you should consider Sgt. York from WW I.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

In other words we need a sort of book in comparison to the pearl of great price or the book of mormons to decipher what the bible means by what it says?
    How about just believing what the bible says? When Jesus was questioned about the OT that is what He did.

#29 freeatlast, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  10. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Actually, I wouldn't go to a church that allowed women to preach since scripture is clear that they are not to do so.

11. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Agreed.

Although this begs the question, which Salty was getting at earlier.....do we consider the congregation of a post chapel to be a church?

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Hmmm...I did the same when God led me to no longer believe as YOU do now. What are we to do, then?

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Uh...no. You have no idea what this is about.

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

With all due respect, this is a baseless generalization, and a nebulous, unclear one at that. It certainly doesn't hold true a majority of the time. Gender roles are not sanctioned by Scripture.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Jon, you still haven't answered my question. What would you do the weeks the female is preaching? Stay home, - if overseas there isn't much in Christian radio - nothing on AFTV/AFN. Hopefully you would have a computer to at least watch a church service.

Monty, you and I as well as any other GI who served overseas would be best to answer this question.
    IMHO - for all intensive purposes, yes the Chapel is the "local church" for the military. Has regular services, provides counseling, ect.
    GI's do you agree with me?

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MODERATORS:

WHY IS JAIGNER allowed to continued to post in the Baptist only section, when he does not identify himself as a Baptist?

I purposely put this OP in the Baptist only section

Rule # 1 states: 1. Be aware of forum Categories. We offer a wide range of forums. Most are for BAPTISTS only, to post opinions, views, beliefs and ideas. We also have a few forums for BAPTISTS and all other CHRISTIANS, with pertinent topics that relate to everyone.

I request proper action be taken

17. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You need to use the report button.

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I take God at His Word. I pray you will do the same.

19. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I believe in his profile, Jaigner states that he is Baptist and that he is directing music at a Baptist church.

20. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Really? We wouldn't know that. He hides his entire profile from all of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.