1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Female Chaplains

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I personally hold that women should not be in a pastor position. I would also like to point out that this isn't what the thread is about, so I will not argue as to why. Also, I do view a post chapel as a local church, although there are minor differences, such as it being funded by the government.

With this in mind, I would most likely still attend on the weeks she was preaching if there were no other option. Better to be fed by a sinner than starve.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Woody, I don't believe that someone who is in sin and rebellion can feed the saints. If a sinner can feed the saints then we might as well attend the JW's or Mormons, or the teachings of Islam. I say that because the Spirit is not the one leading them if they are in sin and rebellion so it would be better to stay home and let the word of God do the feeding instead of subjecting ones self to someone who is not doing the will of God.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, this is a baseless generalization, and a nebulous, unclear one at that. It certainly doesn't hold true a majority of the time. Gender roles are not sanctioned by Scripture.

Well then jaigner, I suppose the answer is to just let the women join up as the men will soon be refusing to do so en masse...,

Women will then be defending this nation while the men are home changing diapers.

Yes indeed. A baseless generalization. If gender roles are not sanctioned by Scripture and/or common sense applied, who did the Lord lead to battle over the years? The women?

Your excuse for not joining the military is just as good as any other excuse, I suppose. As for me, I'm a veteran and now too old to re-up..., but I would if I could. Jesus died for our sins...., veterans died for our freedoms.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Okay. Hope this doesn't bother you. We can pick and choose what we let others see about us.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, actually it does bother me. We can certainly pick and choose what others see about us, and we can do that perfectly fine while still showing the profile page. One thing that should be required of each person on this board is that they display their denomination (though I hold that Baptist isn't a denomination) publicly.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Directing music in a Baptist church does not make one a Baptist. Has he been Baptized a Baptist and is his name on the membership role?

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You might pose that question to the owner of the website, AndrewT.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, here's a Southern Baptist one to watch out for:

NAMB Endorses New Chaplains

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I think you are in sin and rebellion by trying to tell God whom he can and cannot call. I feel sorry for you.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what you point is, but that article was from 1997. Also they are talking about all kinds of Chaplains - military, jail, fire dept, ect
    IMHO, a military chapel is very similar to a local church, wherein a - say fire dept chaplain would not necessarily be so.

So what you are saying is that if a homosexual says he was called to preach, I would be sinning since I would tell him God was in error?

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, did you notice the military chaplain quoted in the story is named 'Paige'? Now I know one prominent male CBMW board member/Southern Baptist seminary president sports that androgynous name too, but in this case this Southern Baptist military chaplain named 'Paige' is, yes, a woman [gasp]. And she's still out there, somewhere, ministering to soldiers!

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's not a sin to read the Word of God and see His qualifications - and hold the church to His guidelines.

13. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I wonder if Page Patterson is turning over in his grave?

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Southern Baptist Endorsement Manual for Chaplains (2010) clearly and pointedly distinguishes the two:

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

It is unbelievable and -- well, I can't think of an appropriate word -- that some of you equate women ministers with homosexual ministers. You should be ashamed.

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, and those who believe in women ministers are doing that based on the original meaning of the word headship in NT times, location, and context, as I have shown repeatedly. Do I need to post that very revealing link again?

Those who do not believe in women minsters are not doing as you suggest above.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I have no problem with female chaplains. In fact, recently I sat in an audience and was blessed by the preaching of a female chaplain.

You say that female chaplains are in sin for preaching. What text of Scripture are you basing this on?

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

freeatlast 4:12

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are putting words in my mouth. Key word = think

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The words came out of your mouth -- you were the one who made the analogy of women preachers and homosexual preachers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.