1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Female RC Priests

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DHK, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That objectivity is impossible. We are all - even those of us who deny it - influenced by our various ecclesial traditions or Traditions. For instance, the Baptist ecclesial tradition rejects baptismal regeneration, and therefore it has of necessity to interpret I Peter 3:21 in a non-regenerative/ salvific way; Baptists are therefore just as interpretatively biased as SDAs.This is where I have a hard time with the "bible only" crowd. You most certainly do have a faith tradition, and it is either woefully ignorant or disingenuous to state otherwise. If you don't think "bible only" is a particular tradition, that puts you in the woefully ignorant column and you would do well to read some history of Christianity. Otherwise you're being disingenuous. "Bible Only" theologizing isn't in the Bible, and its beginning can be traced back to man. Very recent man, as these things go. Far more recent by many centuries than infant baptism.

And whilst we're on the subject of 'Tradition', what do you think compiled and produced the Scriptures which you 'sola' hold to? What I think the nonconformist "sola scriptura" tradition needs to learn from this is that the Books on which "sola scriptura" authority is based were in fact selected by others. The NT by the Orthodox/Catholic Councils and the OT by Jewish scholars. They did NOT descend in all purity from the sky on gold tablets a la Book or Mormon. They were derived by human processes under the human control of non-protestants and non-Christians. We may claim the protection of God the Holy Spirit over the processes - but our evidence that He might indeed do so is in these very books collected, sifted and preserved by others with whom we disagree. Now when was the last time any of us heard a Baptist sermon on that theme? "Let's be grateful to the Traditionalists! We wouldn't have a Bible at all if it wasn't for their faithfulness and hard work! Thanks be to God."

Yours in Christ

Matt

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Objectivity is possible. It is for that very reason that I left the RCC and became a Baptist. I was able to read the Bible objectively and compare it with Catholic doctrine and find that the two contradicted each other. I chose the Bible over the damnable man-made doctrines of the RCC which were based on Tradition and not the Bible. I choose the Bible every time. The Bible is my final authority in all matters of faith and practice. I have an outstanding challenge for any Catholic. Show me from the Bible where your doctrines are Biblical, and I will go back and become a Catholic once again, but if I show you from the Bible that what I believe is Scriptural then you leave the Catholic Church and accept my teaching. I wonder why no Catholic (none of my relatives or even their priests) are willing to take that challenge. The reason: their doctrine is based on man-mande Tradition and not the Bible. I base all of my doctrine on the Bible alone. Show me where I am wrong Scripturally wrong and I will change my doctrine, according to the Bible. I will base my beliefs entirely according to the Bible, and the Bible alone (sola scriptura). Tradition has nothing to do with it.
    Again you are absolutely wrong. There have been many discussions on this forum (with COCers especially) on the doctrine of baptismal regeneration, and the meaning of 1Pet.3:21. This verse has been adequately explained again and again. Refusal to accept a proper exegetical meaning is no reason to deny the Scripture and remain in one's stubborness. Baptism doesn't save; it never did. The verse doesn't say it did. Read the whole verse in its context and find out what it is saying.
    There is no tradition here. It is only proper Bible study. It is not just Baptists that Believe this. Answer this: Why do I have a commentary written by an Anglican, that teaches the same thing that I believe on IPet. 3:21? The only way to answer that question is that this Anglican must have believed in sola scriptura. He studied the Bible rather than adhered to church tradition. I have more commentaries written by Presbyterians than any other denomination because they were the most prolific in writing. But also there are Lutheran, Anglican, Brethren, and many others that I have. Baptist commentaries are hard to come by. They are in the minority. One can hardly say that I go by a "Baptist" tradition. I study the Bible, once and a while referring to the commentaries that I own (mostly non-Baptistic). Go to www.ccel.org and look at the world study Bible. Tell me how many of the commentaries on any given book you choose to study are Baptist? Usually none; sometimes one or two. So what Baptist tradition are you talking about? We interpret the Bible by the Bible.

Let's not be greatful to the Traditionalists for taking any credit at all for the Canon of Scripture which God gave to us. The Catholic Church had nothing to do with us. I had this discussion with you before and we are miles apart on our views of the canon of Scripture, needless to say that in 2Pet.3:1,2 Peter knew already what books were inspired. He gives notice to those that he was writing, to take heed to the words of 1. the prophets, and 2. the words of the Apostles and of the Lord. In the same chapter he refers to the epistles of Paul as inspired Scripture. The Apostles knew which books were inspired and which were not. They passed that knowledge on to the early believers who in turn passed it on to other faithful believers. The early churches knew what the Word of God was all along. They didn't need the RCC to come along and declare what was and wasn't the Word. The only reason that was done, was because there were some heretics (much like the RCC itself) trying to insert some heretical books into the canon of Scripture itself (like the Apocrypha) which were not inspired of God. But the early believers knew from the Apostles the true inspired canon. The RCC wasn't needed, never was. The RCC has always made such outlandish claims. They claim that they discovered the "trinity" as well. :rolleyes:
    What an absurd claim.
    But for the grace of God, we wouldn't have a Bible at all because of the RCC, who throughout the centuries tried their best to destroy the Bible, and keep it from the people. Ask William Tyndale.
    DHK

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

DHK,

And that is a mirror image of my experience.

Keep in mind, at the time I 1st started encountering born again people whom God was sending my way, I knew nothing of evangelical, pentecostal, charismatic, or protestant teachings. I only knew what I was taught by the Catholic Church. So...I had absolutlly no bias of any kind. No pre-set evangelical leanings. No lifetime of evangelical teaching to supposedly "cloud" my objectivity.

And yet when I started searching the scriptures myself it was absolutly clear...crystal clear...that the many teachings of the Catholic Church that they claim are essential and so very important to live right and gain heaven are completly and totally foreign to the scriptures.

They are not in the least supported by Gods scriptures.

Over and over and over again I found that....

Catholic Church says *this*....but God says *THAT*.

What a sad thing it is to see folks choose such heresy, idolatry, and wickedness when Gods good truth stream of living water is available.

God bless,

Mike

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

This absurd claim that if it werent for the (((Catholic Church)))) we wouldnt have the scriptures is one of the weirdest and most bizzare things I've come across in my 23 years as a born again person.

I dont know how to describe it...maybe "absurdly weird and hilariously misplaced arrogance" or something. :D

Its usually good for a chuckle of two. [​IMG]

Amused,

Mike

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So, how do you assert that we ended up with the Bibles we have today? I suppose they fell miraculously out of the sky?

DHK, you know as well as I do that the Catholic Catechism is shot through with Scripture quotations. Now, doubtless we will be having the usual tired old phrases from you and Mike about their alleged 'mangling of the Scriptures' and this and that being 'thundered' from the Scriptures, but all it boils down to is that your interpretation is different from theirs.

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. riverm

riverm New Member

Hey, my mother actually believes this! Actually she has no idea how we got the bible. I’m anxiously waiting DHK and D28guy’s response, if we get one.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you read my posts. If not go back and read them. I have alread explained this.
    Your explanation is absurd. Let me answer your objection the same way you answered me.

So, how do you assert that we ended up with the Bibles we have today? I suppose they fell miraculously out of the sky?

Matt, you know as well as I do that the Koran is shot through with Scripture quotations. Now, doubtless we will be having the usual tired old phrases from you and BAC about their alleged 'mangling of the Scriptures' and this and that being 'thundered' from the Scriptures, but all it boils down to is that your interpretation is different from theirs.

Yours in Christ
    DHK

P.S. The Muslims do believe the equivalent of the Koran "falling out of the sky," with the only reliable portions of the Bible contained therein.

8. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi DHK:

Matt asked So, how do you assert that we ended up with the Bibles we have today? I suppose they fell miraculously out of the sky?

You replied to go back and review your posts that you’ve already explained this. I went back and couldn’t find any explanation from you concerning Matt’s question. Could you kindly tell me what page and post (dated) that you answered how we ended up with the bible? I’d like to know who collected and decided what letters were acceptable and what letters weren’t that make up our New Testament portion of the bible.

Thanks.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

page 3, August 12; 3:09 p.m.

10. riverm

riverm New Member

page 3, August 12; 3:09 p.m.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hi DHK,

Thanks for the post pointing me to your response, but that doesn’t answer the questions posed. There was no bible, as we know of it today in the first half of the century. Granted they had an Old Testament, but my question revolves around the New Testament.

Peter, Paul and John all wrote more letters than those we see in our New Testament. WHO determined which of these were authoritative and which of these weren’t?

I’m not a Catholic, but would like to know, how we got the bible in the final condition it is in and who was responsible for determining which books made the cut and which didn’t.

Concerning the “Trinity”, my Pastor just done a bible study on Islam last year and he used The Story of Civilization, by Will and Ariel Durant for all his research. I went to my library to read some of these books and research the Authors, since he was promoting these books so heavily and found that these books claimed that the “Trinity” was a rip off from pagan ancient Egypt. When I brought this to his attention he ‘bout flipped out. Now I wonder just how much information he used about Islam was the actual truth.

So how did we get the term “Trinity”? The word isn’t found in the bible, but the idea is certainly there. I also remember seeing a discovery channel special, maybe a year or two ago and the special stated groups believed in the Father and Son, but other groups were adding the Holy Spirit and this was causing a problem and a council was called to research this and make a doctrine. Was all this fact or fiction? I guess it depends upon the source as I stated above conflict using The Story of Civilization.

I would seriously like to know the above questions, please feel free to PM me any resources that I could investigate this on my own.

Thanks

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is where you are wrong. There was a Bible in the last half of the first century. Every book of the New Testament was written between 50 A.D. and 98 A.D. Thus the entire canon of Scripture was completed by the end of the first century. It was completed by God the Holy Spirit, not by the RCC. They had nothing to do with it. Think for a minute. And you must think outside of your western mindset. I am a missionary. I travel to variuos third world nations. I know one nation that has the Word of God published only in the Gospel of John. That is all they have in their native language. Does that mean that the Word of God does not exist elsewhere? I think you know the answer to that. When I go witnessing from door to door, I often take a New Testament with me that contains all of the NT plus the Book of Psalms. Does that mean that Bible is incomplete? I hardly think so! To those that are interested in further information I give out booklets of John and Romans. OOPS!! Only part of God's Word are in their hands! Does that mean that the whole of God's Word is not in existence? I think you know the answer. Many people even in our own country do not have ALL the books of the Bible in their possession, even though they are available to them. In the first century, and especially the second century (when all the books were completed), just because believers did not have all the books of the Bible in their possession, did not mean that they did not exist.
    There are forgeries today, and there were forgeries then. Ask the Catholics? They claim that those 14 forgeries in their Bible are actually inspired! Imagine that, even though they weren't officially accepted into the canon by them until 1532. :rolleyes:

Paul wrote as many as four letters to the Corinthians alone. He also wrote a letter to Laodicea. Why are they not included? Because Paul knew which letters were inspired of God as Scripture, and to be preserved as such. That knowledge was passed down and shared with first the other Apostles, and then with the other early beievers. The Catholic Church had nothing to do with this. The preservation of the Bible was done through Bible Believing churches entirely outside the corrupt Catholic Church. Lets look at Scripture itself.

2 Peter 3:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
    --Peter outlines to his readers that they be mindful of the words of the: prophets, and of "us the Apostles." He says that the words of the Apostles are just as important as the holy prophets, which the Jews regarded so highly, and whose writings they considered inspired of God. Thus the writings that the Apostles claimed as inspired were to be accepted as inspired by others. Theirs was the final authority.

2 Peter 3:15-16 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Note that Peter refers to the epistles of Paul were Scripture. Apparently he knew which of his epistles were Scripture and which were not. He speaks of thos that "wrest the Scriptures to their own destruction," as the many cults and also the RCC do.

Are we to be so naive to think that the Apostles could not ascertain which books the Holy Spirit were giving them by inspiration and which were simply their own writing. Christ himself gave this promise in this regard:

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
    --Christ promised that would bring to remebrance whatever he said unto them. Although this Scripture may have other applications, I believe that the main interpretation here is Christ's promise to His disciples is the retention of His Word's that would be accurately recorded and inspired by the Holy Spirit. We have an inspired Bible. Its inspiration comes from God, not from the RCC. The RCC takes too much credit. They are proud, arrogant, puffed up, and ungodly. Throughout the centuries they have been the murderers of true Christians and the destroyers of our Bible, not the keepers of it.
    The Holy Spirit was instrumental. The Apostles taught the early believers which were inspired, and which was not. If you read the First Epistle of John, he teaches his readers how to recognize false teachers, the spirit of antichrist, etc. It was the early churches that preserved the Bible in its original form, not only in the Greek, but also in other translations. There is a very early translation called "Itala," one of the earliest. It is virtually identical to the Bible we have today.

The "trinity" as pertaining to the God of the Bible is not a pagan concept. If you want to argue that way, then monotheism as opposed to polytheism is a pagan concept that Christianity adopted. Ridiculous!

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Recent theological terminology do not refute that which has been taught in the Bible throughout the ages, ever since the Bible has been written:
    trinity,
    rapture,
    eschatology,
    theology
    Christophany
    anthropormorphism,
    antinomianism,
    ex nihilo

We use terms that are not in the Bible. So what! That does not mean that the Bible does not teach the concepts that are behind the terms. Christ appeared as a man in the Old Testament in the figure of Melchizadek. This is verified for us in Hebrews chapter 7. We call this a Christophany. Or, do we say that the RCC invented the word "Christophany," and there were no such things in the Bible as "Christophanies" until the RCC came along. That is pure garbage. And thus it is with the trinity. The trinity is taught in the Bible, and has been for ages. It may have been taught with other words, and terminology, but it was taught nevertheless. I don't give the RCC any credit for that at all. What else do they want credit for: that Christ is the Messiah??

I am not sure. I haven't looked it up. Any reliable dictionary can give you that answer. It really doesn't matter, since the theology of the trinity is taught in the Bible.
    If you study world relgions, you will find that Satan is a great imitator. Many world religions have gods that come in triads. Hinduism has some triads of gods. Many of them do have a concept of Father and Son, and then go off into some other kind of spirit or god. Our authority is the Bible. What is taught in the Bible, not in Tradition, and not in anything outside of the Bible, is our final authority. Thus what the RCC or others say is not important. Thus Baptists believe in sola scriptura.
    John MacArthur has a good series of messages on the Bible. He deals with the canon of Scripture, and the sufficiency of the Scriptures for us today. You can find his website at the following URL, and then scroll down until you come to "Bible"

MacArthur

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Every book now in the new testament was inscripturated and were being read, circulated and studied by approximently the time of the destruction of the Temple in 70AD.

The religious professing christian group known as the Catholic Church was about 300 years from coming into being and had absolutly (((ZERO))) to do with the giving of these scriptures to Gods people.

Mike

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

That's rather a bizarre claim since the Gospels were not written until after the destruction of the Temple, and Revelation not until c.95AD.

I asked on the "What did Constantine actually do?" thread how you assert that the Catholic Church came into being some 300 years later. I'm still waiting for an at least half-decent answer to that one. As far as I have always understood, the Church that existed in the 4th century was the same Church as had existed in the 1st century; the onus is on those who assert otherwise to adduce evidence in support of their contention; so far, zilch.

DHK, you gave stated quite correctly how the Canon of Scripture came to be written (50 to 98AD is far more accurate than Mike's assertion of "everything before 70AD"); what you have failed to do is to assert HOW the Canon came to be determined by the Church ie: how did the believers understand which of Paul's letters were canonical and which weren't; how was the Gospel of Thomas excluded etc. The nearest you get to an explanation is

Be careful! You're coming dangerously close to making out a case for your dreaded Tradition there! I'd also like to know which were these "Bible believing churches entirely outside the corrupt Catholic Church"? When and where did they exist? And when and where did the Catholic Church exist? What documents and writings from that period (whichever that period actually is) are you relying on to support your claim?

Yours in Christ

Matt

14. AdrianDavila

AdrianDavila New Member

Actually, the canon of scripture as we know it today was decided by a council in the late fourth century. Jesus Freaks II gives the date 393 AD for the canonization of the 27 books of NT scripture we have today. This was decided by a Council of Bishops at a local North African synod called the SYNOD OF HIPPO. Many bishops of the Church came together and prayerfully constructed the canon with the aid of Augustine's writings on what constituted inspired, canonical scripture. That is simple history.

But, the Catholic church had nothing to do with it. At that time there were no divisions in the Church. The Arian heretics were running rampant, but there were no divisions. Catholicism, this group we so like to demonize, didn't begin to become a seperate entity from the Church until the 8th century. The formal break with what would be called Eastern Orthodoxy didn't occur until 1054. And, the complete split didn't occur until the late 12th century.

Also, the assertion that all scripture was already written by the Fall of Jerusalem is fallacious. John's Gospel was written after the fall of Jerusalem. As was Revelations, which is dated by the most conservative scholars at 96 AD.

15. AdrianDavila

AdrianDavila New Member

DHK, you said:
    "There are forgeries today, and there were forgeries then. Ask the Catholics? They claim that those 14 forgeries in their Bible are actually inspired! Imagine that, even though they weren't officially accepted into the canon by them until 1532. "

Actually, the reason why Catholics and Orthodox (they include the Apocrypha too) include these books, is because the Church decided that the Septuagint (a Greek translation of the OT), which included these books, was the OT scripture for them. This was decided in a council. I want to say that it was the Council of Hippo as well, but I'm not sure.

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The Councils of Rome (382), Hippo (393) and Carthage (397) defined the NT Canon. To say either of them defined the OT canon is more problematic and controversial; definition of the OT canon sprang more from usage, in this case usage of the LXX, complete with the DCs/Apocrypha pretty much from day 1 of the Church spreading beyond the confines of Judaism. That, plus the fact that the purely Jewish 'Jamnia process' from c80AD rejected the LXX as their Scriptures because it was written in Greek (and used by those pesky Christian 'splitters'!) and accepted only Hebrew Scriptures, which of course excluded the DCs.

The Christians, however, continued to use the LXX version which formed the basis of Jerome's Latin Vulgate OT, until Luther unilaterally decided to remove the DCs because he didn't like some of the doctrines revealed therein; he also wanted to remove the Letter of James which contained the rather inconvenient (to his sola fide doctrine) phrase "faith without works is dead" and Revelation (because he thought it was wierd) for the same reason, but fortunately he was stopped. It was the Catholic Council of Trent (which started meeting in 1545 not 1532, DHK) which therefore had to reaffirm the inclusion of the DCs in the OT Canon as a reaction to Luther's unauthorised action.

Yours in Christ

Matt

17. riverm

riverm New Member

Hi Matt: That’s pretty much what I’m reading in my research using respected historians such as Jaroslav Pelikan from Yale and J.N.D Kelly from Oxford, but boy, I have to say a new world is emerging for me and to be this deep in history is to almost cease to be a Protestant.

I feel like Neo in the Matrix and Morpheus is freeing my mind, but it just never in my 30+ years occurred to me “how” these books that make up the bible were collected and “who” or “whom” decided which books or letters were authoritative. I guess I just took it as it was.

The jury is still out on this one…

18. AdrianDavila

AdrianDavila New Member

Riverm,
    Don't worry. The Holy Spirit worked through these doctors of the Church to give us the Scripture that was breathed by Him. Know that. The bishops were men of God, representing the Church of God. The Scriptures, as we have them, are true and good.

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

riverm asked of DHK...

And DHK quoted himself....

And now riverm, incredibly, says this...

Unbelievable.

Let me take the liberty to bold some of what DHK posted, in an effort to make it easier for you....

I sincerely hope that helps.

God bless,

Mike

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Personally, I couldnt care less because I almost never use that word. I like to say instead "the triune nature of God".

THAT is scriptural, so I use that. The word "trinity" is a concoction of man so I prefer to not use it.

Mike