1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fiddle or violin?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by AZfiddler_Oct1996, Nov 27, 2004.

?
  1. Fiddle

91.7%
  2. Violin

8.3%
  3. Don't know the difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. atestring

atestring New Member

Violinist usually have their bow tighter than fiddle players. </font>[/QUOTE]I think that their underwear is a little tighter also!!1

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, violinstix!

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]Fiddle to get the blood pumping, violin to relax.

4. AZfiddler_Oct1996

AZfiddler_Oct1996 New Member

I beg to differ with you. ;)

5. ralb

ralb New Member

I would LOVE to learn to play both. Alycia, you sound like a young person....how difficult would it be for someone on the threshold of geezerdom (an older person) to learn to play? And are lessons and instruments generally expensive?

6. AZfiddler_Oct1996

It depends on how much time you have, but also on the teacher. Most teachers know how to play but don't really know how to teach. I used to practice 10 hours a week but got next to nowhere b/c my teacher hadn't taught me how to practice. See, there is a difference between "practicing" and practicing. :confused: If you get a person who "practices" a song for 1/2 hour a day and you get another one that is PRACTICES for 15 min a day, the latter will be able to play the song 1000 times better than the other one when the week is up. I'll write more later, my dad needs the comp.

-Alycia

7. Dale

Dale New Member

Come on guys, the difference between a fiddle and the violin is the number of teeth the player has! lol

I personally like a more properly trained fiddle the best....somehting that is somewhat in between.
    I am a recording engineer and I have done some recording of a girl that was classicaly trained in a bluegrass family.
    She is awesome because she plays more of a bluegrass style (most of the time) but she plays with proper technique.

For what it is worth, ALison Krauss had "proper" training as well. If you have ever seen her play you will see that her form and posture is perfect.

8. Dale

Dale New Member

Violin- ALison Krauss :)

Ok, somewhat of a smart answer but have you ever heard the studio version of There is a Reason ? She sounds more like a string section in an orchestra.

I say the two are by no means mutually exclusive.

My iTunes library has 44 genres listen so I guess I like quite a variety! ;)

9. AZfiddler_Oct1996

Yeah, so anyway. :D I have advanced more in 1 year than I did in my first 3 years.

Lessons are generally rather expensive, my "first" teacher charged $10 but that is rare, the teacher I have now charges $25.

I'm sure you could learn if you really wanted to, it helps to be practicing instead of "practicing," though most don't know the difference. They learn the hard way. [​IMG]

You can buy a student violin outfit for $200 at the music stores. We are selling one for $125. ;) [​IMG]

It is fun to play, a friend of mine and I played a special in church tonight (we have church in Mexico on Thursday nites.) It was really pretty and she has just been playing about 7 months. Another one of my students had been playing for 3 months when we played the Star Spangled Banner at her school for the dedication of a flag. [​IMG] All of us (except the girl in Mex b/c she doesn't have a passport) are going to play at the Nursing Home the 17th, I really do have a lot of fun. [​IMG]

When you are just starting you should really work on intonation b/c it doesn't matter how slow you play a song (I'm talking about hymns, the OBS would sound kinda funny slow [​IMG] ) as long as it is in tune and not squeaky people will think you sound professional! (well, not really but- hey [​IMG] )

-Alycia

10. AZfiddler_Oct1996

Dale,

Do you happen to have relatives in AZ?

-Alycia

11. Dale

Dale New Member

Sure do! in Payson and in Sunsites which is way down in Cocise County

What part are you from?

12. AZfiddler_Oct1996

That is what I thought! When I went to the contest in Payson, we went over to Candy and Caleb's house... and had a LOT of fun! Are you related to Robbie? He came to our church once and played guitar and sang.

-Alycia

13. Dale

Dale New Member

Yes, I am related to Rob...(or Robby as my grandparents still call him) :)

In fact, I am coming out out there in just a couple of weeks.

I am assuming that you are about the same age as Candy and Kaleb then? Kaleb is 19 and Candy will be 21 next month.

I should get you in touch with my sister, she is quite the avid fiddle/violin player.

14. Dale

Dale New Member

Alycia, I am looking at all that I would have said and I am trying to figure out what I would have said that you would have thought I was related to people you knew :)

Small world!

BTW, do you remember Kevin? He is Kaleb's older brother. He lives in Missouri now. Anyway, I am the same age as he is (24)

15. AZfiddler_Oct1996

Where are you coming down to? We are closer to Sunsites than Payson. I am a lot younger than Candy but she is well, sweet. [​IMG] I found out b/c of your homepage. :D

-Alycia

16. Dale

Dale New Member

We are going to Sunsites first and that maybe all. I might be driving out with my cousin a little early. I think our plans are for the 19th...I would have to look at my calendar but it will be a couple of weeks after that.

Do I have our church web site on my profile?? I guess so. It has been a while since I set this account up and then I wasn't on here much for a long time.

Anyway, these "public emails" are getting a bit too much [​IMG]

You can send me a PM if you want or you can send me an email at [email protected]

How long has it been since you saw Kaleb? I recorded him with his brother and my brother last year...we want to do a full CD sometime if we ever have the time. My little (well younger, not smaller anymore, lol ) plays the mandolin and Kaleb of course plays the violin/fiddle. Kyle plays the guitar and the irish whistles and I play the bass and the trumpet.

Ok, this is not an email, it is quite public for anyone to see so I will close (-:}

Have a good day at church tomorrow, I am sure it will be MUCH warmer there, lol.

17. Dale

Dale New Member

Wow, I really need to update that website. I update the radio page every Monday but the rest of it....I still have pictures from our fall picnic of '03! I was in Michigan this year so I didn't even take pictures ( well I did just of different people)

18. Dale

Dale New Member

Alice, I sent you an email tonight but it failed for some reason. It said that wasn't a valid adress.

Let me know if you got it.

Dale

19. AZfiddler_Oct1996

did you put .edu on the end? I didn't get it.

-Alycia

20. Dale

Dale New Member

sure did. I can try to resend.