1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Final written authority?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 5, 2010.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Please stop trying to change the topic.

You did not answer the question in the OP. If you believe there is only one final written authority what is it for an English speaking missionary in Japan today? There is no quality translation from the traditional text today. John of Japan is working on one. Did God lie when He promised the Japanese people a perfectly preserved final written authority?

You cannot have two final written authorities. English and Japanese translations will be different. Do you really believe that translation work must be from the KJT into another translation?

#41 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I posted a warning a few posts ago. Any off topic comments will be deleted from this point on.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I thought I answered the OP.

When you say one final written authority, does this mean God has to provide a text in that langauge? We didn't have the scriptures in English until it was translated, it would work the same for all nations.

I believe the text used for the KJB should be the text used. [off topic]

#43 Winman, Aug 12, 2010
  4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

So you do not think the Japanese people (for example) have a Bible today?

What about God's promise to preserve His word for them? They do not have a final written authority unless they can read the English KJT?

#44 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 12, 2010
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is the same argument people use when they ask where the scriptures were before the KJB. The scriptures were in those texts from which the KJB was translated. It is the same now for Japan. A translation could be made from the Scrivener's TR into any language, as long as it is accurate it would be the preserved Word of God in that langauge.

[off topic]

[false statement veiling a personal attack deleted] If he preserved it, it has to be somewhere. I believe it was preserved in the texts used to translate the KJB, and is therefore preserved in English today. God was not so hung up on languages as some here are, even you must admit he used at least three languages, Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic to write his scriptures. So why couldn't God preserve his word in English?

#45 Winman, Aug 12, 2010
  6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is my point - why could He not do it in Japanese?

What is the final written authority for a speaker of one language who is ministering in another? You still have not answered that question in the OP.

In the scenario of Japan, does he tell his people that he alone has the final written authority and until they have an acceptable Bible in their language they just have to trust him?

7. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Hi C4K,

I think I would probably tell them that the final authority is the Word of God, that I speak English, and that the Word of God does not change even if translated into their native tongue.

Great Question,
    J5Grand:)

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I will try to expand on my previous answer, in my opinion these texts are :

The Hebrew Masora represented by ben Chayyim.
    The New Testament Traditional Text represented by Scrivener's Edition.

The KJ Translators gave the scriptural reason:

IMO, it is not enough to answer with the names of the texts themslelves but to make the addendum that they must have the marks of inspiration being the tongues wherein God was pleased to speak to his Church by his Prophets and Apostles.

The native tongue of the one who is ministering is of no consequence.

The resultant translation cannot be perfect unless the one who is ministering is a prophet or an apostolic spokesman with the authority and actuality of being "guided" by the Holy Spirit.

Some ecclesiastic bodies claim this authorirty, to be accepted or not is at the disgression (soul liberty) of the seeker and the consequences thereof.

1) No.
    2) Only if they claim that they have another.
    3) Yes, at their disgression.

No.

HankD

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

I basically agree with Hank except for this:

I do not agree with this, if those translators are expert in the language being translated into and are faithful to the texts I believe a perfect and pure translation can be arrived at.

[off topic]

#49 Winman, Aug 12, 2010
  10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Fine - but what is the final written authority for an English speaker ministering to those who speak another language? Is it his Bible or theirs? If they don't have an accurate Bible from the traditional text body did God not preserve His word for them?

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, prior to the translation of the KJV in 1610 the scriptures were in the texts the KJV was translated from?

Well, the KJV was not translated directly from any Hebrew or Greek texts but was a revision of the Bishops Bible. When there was a problem with the reading of the Bishops Bible the KJV translators relied on the 1598 Greek Text of Beza and the Hebrew text of Bomberg from 1523. And, of course, Scrivener's Greek New Testament did not exist until 1894, 283 years AFTER the publication of the KJV!

So, ignoring the error of assuming the KJV was translated directly from the Hebrew and Greek texts, and ignorning the error of thinking the KJV was translated from Scrivener's Greek text, all you have managed to do is push the question "where was the inspired scriptures prior to 1611" back by 13 years for the New Testament (to 1598) and back 84 years for the Old Testament (to 1523), which, of course, begs the question, "where were the inspired Old Testament scriptures before 1523 and where were the inspired New Testament scriptures before 1598?"

Until you can answer that question you cannot answer the OPs question.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank I think you have fallen prey to the neo-orthodox redefining of the word "perfect" by the KJVOs. Any translation that is complete, mature, lacking nothing necessary to the whole is "perfect" according to the correct definition of the word "perfect." :)

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

The fact that inaccurate copies of scripture exist does not negate the fact that accurate copies exist. [personal snipe deleted]

I would say an English speaking missionary should teach and practice from the KJB and have it accurately translated into that language.

#53 Winman, Aug 12, 2010
  14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thank you for clarifying your position.

What if a Japanese Christian was ministering among English speakers? What would his final written authority be?

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

If a person believes that the KJB is the pure and preserved Word of God in English (which I do), then you must believe the preserved and pure Word of God existed before that. The fact it was not compiled into one single book does not negate the fact that it existed.

[off topic]

#55 Winman, Aug 12, 2010
  16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Boy, you never run out of questions do you? :laugh:

Well, he must either speak English or have a translator. Still, he should use scriptures based on the RT.

[off topic]

#56 Winman, Aug 12, 2010
  17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And what would he tell the people in his church to read and study for their Bible?

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

If accurate scriptures were not available he should rely on preaching.

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks again for clarifying.

So when John of Japan tells the people in the church he pastors to go home and read and study the scriptures they have while he is working on a good translation is he misleading those people?

I ask again - what happened to God's promise to preserve His word to the Japanese people?

#59 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 12, 2010
  20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand, and indeed I was using the word from the redefined venue you mention.

However it was by convenience to those here who use in it the way in which you speak since presumably this thread seems focused upon them.

My own use is the same as you have defined it.

So, in those terms yes, one can have a perfect translation which can be held in one's hands, one which will accomplish in terms of spiritual growth what God has intended for the children of God.

HankD

#60 HankD, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010