1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Financing source for Anti-Huckabee Travelers revealed!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by faithcontender, Dec 13, 2007.

1. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

Financing source for Anti-Huckabee Travelers revealed!

In this week's paper we reported that a group of Arkansas Republicans campaigning against Mike Huckabee in Iowa was getting outside funding, but that the anti-Hucksters couldn't reveal their beneficiary. Former state Rep. Randy Minton now says that the moneybags behind the effort is...Ron Paul. I don't know that it's going to get Paul much above the four points he's polling in Iowa, but guess he needs some way to burn the millions he's collected.

Minton brought onetime candidate for lieutenant governor Jim Holt along with him on the trip. They've been hitting up the talk radio circuit, including a show hosted by Jan Mickelson. Minton also reported that the anti-Huckabee crew was lighter than expected: He said a second group of former Arkansas legislators -- this one unaffiliated with Paul -- scrapped plans to go to Iowa to badmouth the Huck.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2007/12/financing_source_for_antihucka.aspx

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Is there any more to this story other than hearsay. What ever happened to burden of evidence.

3. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

BTW, is this the same Randy Minton who supports Fred Thompson, calls Huckabee a RINO. Randy Minton may have an axe to grind, be aware of dirty politics.
    Again there is no story unless evidence can be substantiated.How about it,faithcontender, have you got any real evidence?

4. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Why would Ron Paul single out any candidate? He criticizes all candidates and always has.

5. faithcontender

By ANDREW DeMILLO
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, December 13, 2007; 8:27 PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Two former Republican legislators from Mike Huckabee 's home state are in Iowa this week criticizing Huckabee's record on immigration and taxes on trips paid for by Ron Paul, Huckabee's Republican presidential rival.

Paul's campaign said Thursday it was paying former Sen. Jim Holt and former Rep. Randy Minton about $5,000 each to go to Iowa for a series of radio interviews criticizing Huckabee's 10 1/2 years as Arkansas governor.

"We just want to make sure Iowans get the full picture of what Governor Huckabee did when he was in office," said Paul's campaign spokesman, Jesse Benton. "There hasn't been a whole lot of information going out to Iowans and we want to make sure they get the full picture."

To counter the criticism, Huckabee brought in a group of longtime Arkansas supporters to defend his record.

Holt, who ran unsuccessfully for Arkansas lieutenant governor last year, has tangled publicly with Huckabee over immigration. Huckabee, a Southern Baptist preacher, spoke out against Holt's proposal in 2005 to ban state services to illegal immigrants and said "I drink a different kind of Jesus juice."

That same year, Holt opposed Huckabee's unsuccessful effort to make children of illegal immigrants eligible for state-funded scholarships and in-state tuition to Arkansas colleges.

Holt, who said he hasn't settled on a candidate for president, said he was called by Paul's Iowa field director last week. He'll be in Iowa through Saturday.

Asked why he was contacted, Holt said in a telephone interview, "If you do a Google search, you can see the Jesus juice quote anywhere."

Holt has been talking about Huckabee's stances on immigration, and his record on taxes and spending.

"He campaigned in Arkansas to the right and governed to the left," Holt said.

Huckabee singled out Minton by name last month in a letter to Arkansas Republicans asking for their support and their help advocating on his behalf.

Huckabee has vaulted to the top of the Republican presidential field in Iowa, but still faces some skepticism among Republican lawmakers in his home state.

On Thursday, he relied on a group of longtime supporters to tout his conservative credentials in Iowa.

"We want to let you know that he is a strong, solid conservative and he has not changed," said Anne Britton, who heads the Arkansas chapter of the National Rifle Association. She argued that Huckabee has long backed gun rights.

Huckabee spokeswoman Alice Stewart said the supporters were brought in in anticipation of Holt and Minton's visit.

"It's unfortunate that people are resorting to those types of tactics," she said. "We're focusing on getting a positive Huckabee message out there and making sure people know about his record."

Benton said Paul does not plan to bring in additional surrogates to campaign against Huckabee or any other candidate.

As he's gained in the polls in Iowa and nationally, Huckabee has faced criticism from rivals Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson but not from Paul. In a debate in September, Huckabee and Paul sparred over U.S. involvement in Iraq. Paul has made a pullout of troops the centerpiece of his campaign.

"Even if we lose elections, we should not lose our honor," Huckabee told Paul during that debate in New Hampshire. "And that is more important than the Republican Party."

Associated Press Writer Mike Glover in Des Moines, Iowa contributed to this report.

http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4119

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bravo for the Ron Paul campaign. :applause: Mike Huckabee had best be prepared. This is nothing compared to what will happen in January if he wins the Iowa caucuses - mainly from Republican candidates other than Ron Paul.

Jim Holt is far better on the issue of illegal aliens than Mike Huckabee. I am glad that Jim Holt was in Arkansas to fight against Huckabee's desire to spend taxpayers' money on the behalf of illegal aliens.

7. faithcontender

... And despite the attacks, Huckabee just keeps on surging.... Anyway Paul's campaign just paid them only $5000 each. Maybe they have difficulty spending a lot of their money for a positive cause.

#7 faithcontender, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enjoy it while it lasts, my friend. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Shhhh! Huckabee doesnt' want these secrets out. Huck is a cry baby who doesn't even play by his own rules
    The last time he ran for governor he wanted to run a clean campign but then that lady in the red dress on the ATV started to appear in campaign ads. Also typical as in the case of the phone call campaigns going on in Iowa is Huck will come out against them but won't stop them .

10. faithcontender

Of course I do.. I hope you enjoy too...Remember this is only politics. But I'm happy to support a candidate who I believe is more qualified to be the POTUS.

:wavey: :thumbs:

11. Tama

Tama New Member

I live in Iowa.
    I listened to the Jan Mickelson show today.
    The anti-Huck dudes admitted that Ron Paul funded their trips.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there is not a thing wrong or illegal about it. This is a non-issue.

13. Tama

Tama New Member

Correct ---- not illegal........... obviously.

Wrong? Non-issue? Depends on who you ask. One candidate hiring some political "hit men" to travel around the country and bad mouth a rival candidate? I don't know. I think it might be an "issue."

By the way........ I use the word "rival" lightly. Steven Colbert might be more of a "rival" in the class of Ron Paul.

14. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Which is hearsay. Now that Jesse Benton's name has been thrown into the mix I see that the story from the original OP may have some credence but before the mentioning of Mr. Benton's name it was hearsay all I wanted was some proof..
    I'm with Ken on this one what is being done is not illegal and people in Iowa need to see the other side of Huckabee. People are buying into Hucks charisma but substance seems to bear no importance.

15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

It appears that ronnie is just another politician who wants power and is willing to stoop to any level to get it. He runs on issues he doesn't support himself.

He is willing to pay money to bad mouth other candidates.

He speaks against earmarks and then requests them.

He speaks against term limits and never limits his own terms.