1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Finding First Pastorate

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by mckestev, Feb 24, 2010.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah again, I don't think this is a "Church of Christ" school. Unless I'm mistaken it is associated with several independent Christian church denoms.

You are attending Kentucky Christian University correct?

Anyhoo, while I wouldn't the college is a help if you go to a respected Baptist seminary you will probably not see a major mark against you for attending this school just my $.02

2. mckestev

mckestev New Member

Yes, I am attending Kentucky Christian University. For the most part the only major doctrinal difference I've run into is what role baptism plays in salvation. The only other theological difference I've had so far is on eternal security, and a local Freewill Baptist pastor and I have the same disagreement. I would also like to note that I'm not a ministry student; my major is Advanced Biblical Studies. My studies focus around the content of the Scriptures with an emphasis on the languages and history of the Greco-Roman world. Another thing I've found is that there are two groups that go by the name "Church of Christ." One I would call cultish, not allowing women to speak during services. This is not the one affiliated with my school.

preachinjesus, you're right. The school affiliation is independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are still going to have major problems even being considered in SBC churches.

4. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I am still with Revmitchell on this one. I know of some SBC churches that will only consider candidates with a seminary degree from the "Big 6" seminaries, Mid-American or Liberty. In many churches, it would be better for you to have no degree than the "wrong degree".

A further example- I have a friend that interimed a church that would not even consider Non-denominational seminaries like Moody and Dallas Theological.

I am not trying to discourage you; I just want to make sure you realize that this can make things more difficult. Just pray and trust the Lord, He knows what He wants you to do.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are you doing now in your home church besides going with the Pastor on visitation?

You asked about a resume. Those kinds of things would be important to even have any thought of overcoming the college thing.

btw,
    for most SBC churches they are pretty big differences.

6. Crucified in Christ

I just realized that I focused on your college without ever really answering your question. First, the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary has a wonderful PDF file online on preparing ministerial resumes...look it up.

If you are without ministerial experience...you may have a truly difficult time getting a job as pastor. You might look at beginning to get the type of experience churches are going to want- Pastoral experience.

Perhaps, you could talk to your pastor about finding you an official post and letting you supply the pulpit occasionally for him (assuming that this would be possible). Perhaps, you can find a nursing home that needs someone to fill in a spot on a rotation (Been there). Perhaps, you can begin as a supply preacher in your association (also been there).

These experiences will be very valuable in your development and the development of your resume. Many people become childrens ministers or youth ministers or associate pastors while they are in school. This way they leave school with a degree and experience. Above all, don't be discouraged (which is easy to happen); the ministry, just like the Christian walk is a lifelong calling.

You are in my prayers,
    Your brother,
    Crucified

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I know on my first resume I listed all the jobs that I had held in serving in two SBC churches. Get all the experience you can in serving. It will help demonstrate some type of experience in the local church.

Even though I had been in a full-time pastorate for over ten years I still include this section on my resume that I put at the top of my first resume. It demonstrated practical experience in the life of a local church. Youth and Adult Sunday School Teacher, Nominating Committee Chairperson, Prayer Ministry Coordinator, RA Counselor, Young Adult Discipleship Training Teacher, Deacon, pulpit supply, music minister supply, choir member, Community Survey team member, Visitation Ministry team member... When the Lord opened the door I served and the experience was invaluable.

8. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would Luther Rice fit into the same category as the "Big 6", Midamerica, or Liberty?

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the biggest difference is the lack of regional accreditation, which may give some pause.

10. Crucified in Christ

Speedpass,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Let me start out by saying that Luther Rice is an excellent school. Having stated this, my comment was based on the situations that I have seen. In fact, the situation that primarily came to my mind was of a family member that served on a pulpit committee. They had a representative from their association come and speak to them (he was an area pastor that was given this charge by the association). He brought a list of seminaries and his advice was to avoid any seminary not on the list. The eight seminaries that I mentioned were the only ones on the list. I have heard other similar stories.

Certainly, not every church will feel this way, but many do.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That associational rep over stepped his bounds.

12. Crucified in Christ

Rev.

I totally agree. I failed to mention that he did not distinguish between seminaries and undergraduate institutions. Colleges like Union University, Samford, etc. were not on the list which is why the family member asked me about it. Anyway, I told them to check the SBC website for associated colleges and universities and to look closely at any seminaries attended. I think my advice was that the ones on his list were obviously good seminaries, but that there are others as well.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Pulpit committees need to do their homework. There are many very good seminaries out there that are not necessarily SBC. Columbia International Seminary in Columbia, SC is a good example.

14. Crucified in Christ

I know that we are beginning to move a little off-topic here, but I think that this is so true. I know of a few churches that didn't do much homework (background investigation) and really lived to regret it...and I am not speaking of education here. Still, this principle definitely applies to education.

I am sure that I am not the only person who has experienced a pulpit committee that did not seem prepared and did not represent their church well. It is an awesome and prayerful responsibility and I believe that churches should be very careful who they appoint to such a task.

If others have any desire to speak to this point, perhaps a new thread should be started on the difficulties and needs of pulpit committees.

15. Johnathon E

Johnathon E New Member

While we are discussing seminaries, as I understand it there are a few churches around here that actually have it written in their bylaws that their pastor must be a graduate of an SBC seminary. I know that in the "help wanted" ads of the Baptist & Reflector I have seen it listed as a requirement for several positions.

To The OP: I would reiterate the need to be willing to serve at any level to build your experience. You may also want to check whatever newspaper your state convention publishes. They will often times list ministry needs throughout the state.