1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Firing a coach during the season...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Nov 26, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other day, Western Michigan played Marshall in Huntington, WV. On paper, Marshall was by far the better team, but the Broncos gave The Herd all they wanted, and a lot they didn't want. Although Marshall won 31-21, the issue was in doubt till late in the game. Hard to believe the Broncos were coming in 1-9!

What made this ironic was that WM had fired their coach Gary Darnell on Nov.14. Therefore the Broncos were playing under a "lame duck" coach obviously admired by his players, given their showing against a Marshall team that has one of the nation's best home-field records, having blown out several excellent opponents there.

Now I ask...Do YOU think it's right to fire a coach during the season because his team isn't winning enough? (No question of firing a coach ANY time for serious wrongdoing!)

The Bronco players are to be congratulated for their show. Marshall had their worst season this year for many years, had been walloped the week before 56-35 by Bowling Green, dashing their Bowl and MAC championship hopes, were ready to punish someone and woulda beaten WM 100-0 if they could.

I believe it's not fair to the players to fire the coach during the season simply because he's not winning. That's common in the NFL; the players on a losing team are always prepared for the coach, or THEMSELVES, to be released. But in college, the COACH recruits the players, especially those who hadn't considered that school. They play from loyalty to the coach, and even if they opt to not transfer, they HAVE to be affected by firing the coach during the season.

Not that I've run my electronic "mouth", it's YOUR turn!

2. NateT

NateT Member

I don't think a coach should be fired mid season. I think that any and all coaching changes should not be evaluated until the offseason. Once the season starts, focus on the games, after the season focus on the staff all you want (except the case of misconduct.)

What's the point of doing that? In a college season, you have 10 or 11 games usually, so by the time you realize your coach stinks, you're probably bowl inelligible anyway (figuring it would take at least 4 losses to fire a coach.)

Let him and the players work it out the rest of the season. All you're doing is putting a fear of insecurity over everyone's head.

Just my 0.02

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You fire the coach mid-season to show the potential recuits you are going another direction, hopefully a winning direction. Alumni play a huge part of mid-season firing. The alums give the university money, they stop giving when the teams don't win and they don't like the coach, therefore since you can't fire the alumni, the coach is fired and the money keeps coming. See Florida as an example. Former Nebraska coach Frank Solich was fired after going 9-3, so I guess the 4 loss theory isn't always true. Also you can't ignore how the teams lose. A team that starts strong early and finishes weak may have the same record as a team that started weak and finished strong but the coach of the strong-weak team is in more danger then the weak-strong coach. Also who you lose to is important. Texas is 10-1 and there is consistent talk about replacing the coach because they can't seem to beat Oklahoma! Go figure!

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. But in this day, you need a "head start" in seeking the right NEW coach, so you ditch your old coach after the season becomes clear and start "under-the-table" negotiations for the next great white hope!