1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured First English Baptists

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Rebel1, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I was not able to reply in the Martin Luther and Free Will thread before it was closed, I wanted to start this thread to show some facts -- you know, those stubborn things that cannot be changed no matter how much revisionists desire to do so.

Now, I don' t know why anyone would want to slander any Baptists, especially those first ones who gave so much to defend our Baptist heritage and principles. Maybe because those Baptists were General or Arminian Baptists and not Particular Baptists.

Here are two articles on the founders of the Baptist faith in England:

John Smyth (Baptist minister) - Wikipedia

Thomas Helwys - Wikipedia

In that other thread, it was said the following about John Smyth, that he "taught that Christians could believe whatever they wanted to believe regardless of what the Bible taught." That is a patent falsehood.

Also, Anabaptists did not hold to the Latin version of original sin, but they were not Pelagians. Charging someone with Pelagianism is a centuries-old tactic to try to damage an opponent, someone who holds to something other than poisonous Augustinianism.

I know it obviously really gets to some people that the founders of the Baptist faith in England believed in free will, but I'm so glad that history cannot be changed, regardless of how hard some kick and contort.

#1 Rebel1, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2018
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody in this thread slandered anyone.

Okay. Now I see the problem. You are using Wikipedia for your "history." That would be funny if it were not so sad.

That is the truth of history. Sorry you don't like it, but you can't change the truth. Why do you think Thomas Helwys excommunicated Symth?

Original sin is not a "Latin" teaching. It is a bible teaching. And those who deny we are completely fallen due to our bent toward sin, under the federal/seminal headship of Adam, are Pelagians, pure and simple. "In Adam all die." (1st Cor 15:22.)

Yet you deny the fact accepted by every competent historian that Particular Baptists existed in England as far back as the reign of Edward VI (1547-1553) although not distinct from other dissenting groups such as the Congregationalists, which date back to Robert Browne in 1582.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me, taking their own words, John Smyth could be considered Pelagian -- rejecting the doctrine of original sin -- while Thomas Helwys could be considered Arminian -- holding original sin, but denying points of Calvinism, such as irresistible call.
    In his Short Confession of Faith in 20 Articles of 1609, John Smyth:
    In A Short Confession of Faith of 1610, John Smyth:
    In Propositions and Conclusions concerning True Christian Religion, followers of Smyth after his death:
    A Declaration of Faith of English People Remaining Amsterdam Holland of 1611, Thomas Helwys:
    Setting aside arguments over how to label these beliefs, the above sets forth the beliefs of Smyth & his followers, and Helwys & his followers, in their own words.

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was pretty generally known that Smyth and Hellwys were the originators of the first General Baptists. However, these fell into Quakerism and Unitarianism during the early 18th Century and disappeared for a time.

The Particular ('Calvinistic,' 'Reformed') Baptists developed quite separately and survive to this day. We know that there were seven congregations in London by 1644. I occasionally preach at a church that dates its foundation to 1653.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer is there were both General and Particular Baptists. Though, over the last 400 years, there has been some mixing of the two streams. Even among the Particulars, there was a dividing between the Gillites and the Fullerites.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and that divide still exists, the Hyper Calvinists who followed John Gill, and the more moderate Calvinists who followed Andrew Fuller.

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    One problem I see over the last hundred or so years is the men like John R. Rice and B. Myron Cedarholm conflating the two by not making the distinction. So, when they "rail" against "Calvinism", they are railing against the Gillite flavor. The Fullerites get caught in the cross fire.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't agree more. :)

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't say re Cedarholm, but best I can remember Brother Rice disagreed with all flavors of Calvinism. He did print Spurgeon's sermons, but seems like he edited them. I have a book by his successor, Curtis Hutson, on Why I Disagree with All Five Points of Calvinism.

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, I understand that was the general consequences for the English General Baptists, but weren't their a few who survived this? Is this Old Baptist Union a part of this remnant?

Thanks.

11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm unable to say that no General Baptist churches whatsoever survived into the mid-17th Century, but certainly most of them disappeared. Although there had been a General Baptist Statement of Faith issued in 1678, it seems not to have had any great following among the churches and many of them followed Mathew Caffyn, their leading spokesman at this time, into Unitarianism.
    Dan Taylor was a Methodist who espoused Believers' baptism later on the 18th Century, and revived the General Baptist cause. He wrote of his predecessors, ”They degraded Jesus Christ and He degraded them.” It was his successors who founded the Baptist Union in the next century, which many Particular Baptists also came to join (unfortunately), and out of which Spurgeon led his church.

Today, the B.U. is largely apostate. There are a few good churches that remain, but some of these are now seeking to come out. Unfortunately, as with Brexit :Rolleyes it is easier to decide to leave the B.U. than actually to leave it.

I heard just yesterday that most of the deacons have resigned from the largest B.U. church in South West England because of the B.U. stance on homosexuality. I await further developments.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which county?

13. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to have a few more details before getting specific. I'll get back in a day or two.

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry! :Redface That should say, "mid-18th Century:" i.e. mid 1700s.

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, you know I couldn't resist asking that question. It's like saying the same thing about the largest SBC church in the Southwestern US.

16. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was the opposite way around -- that the Particular Baptists organized the Baptist Union in 1813, and then later reorganized in order to allow for General Baptist membership.

Re the "Old Baptist Union," I have a document from them that is probably about 20 years old. I'll have to find it, but I'm pretty sure they are/were a small body of General Baptists -- maybe no more than 2 dozen churches.

17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely right. :Redface That will teach me to rely on my memory! Sorry!
    I'll be interested to see what you come up with. :)

18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, I decided to create a separate thread on this group, Old Baptist Union in the UK.

19. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just compiled some Baptist History from: Tracing Jesus' Churches in Baptist History's Invisible Spiritual War will record Visible Martyrs;
    8. 5.1: Tracing Jesus' Churches in Baptist History's Invisible Spiritual War will record Visible Martyrs - 8. THE GODHEAD in HIS CHURCHES.

THE WELSH BAPTISTS; 8.5.28: The 1st Century- 21st Century: The LORD'S BAPTIST BELIEVING CHURCHES, know as THE WELSH BAPTISTS - 8. THE GODHEAD in HIS CHURCHES.

Baptist Churches in England
    The 1st - The 21st Centuries; 8.5.29: 1st-21st Centuries: The LORD'S Welsh Baptists of Wales & other BAPTIST BELIEVING CHURCHES in England - 8. THE GODHEAD in HIS CHURCHES.

20. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alan, welcome to the Baptist Board.