1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

First-grader told to stop talking about Bible

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Jan 17, 2014.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The parents of a 6-year-old girl said their daughter was humiliated when a teacher interrupted the child’s one-minute speech and told her to sit down because she’s “not allowed to talk about the Bible in school,” attorneys for the California family allege.

The incident occurred Dec. 19 inside a first grade classroom at Helen Hunt-Jackson Elementary School in Temecula, Calif. The previous day the teacher instructed boys and girls to find something at home that represented a family Christmas tradition. They were supposed to bring the item to school and share the item in a classroom presentation.

Brynn Williams decided to bring the Star of Bethlehem that adorned the top of her family’s Christmas tree. She also worked on a one minute presentation to explain that her family’s tradition is to remember the birth of Jesus at Christmas time.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/01/14/first-grader-told-to-stop-talking-about-bible/

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The school will lose this one.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

No war on Christmas.
    No war on Christians.
    No war on Jesus.
    No war on faith.

Yeah, right ...

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

As I'm sure everyone here knows, most of the world hates God and any mention of Him--except as profanity. I joined an online forum and proceeded to tell them of the Saviour and what He means to me. I received a PM from one of the moderators telling me that they did not want me to "talk about religion." I told her that I won't go where my Saviour isn't welcome, and I never returned there.

You can talk about any subject you want, but don't mention God or Jesus--unless you're using them as profanity. I'm always amazed (and offended) by people who can't talk without a LOT of useless and offensive (to me anyway) words that are not needed except to fill in where the speaker lacks the vocabulary. I had a couple of neighbors (I hesitate to call them "friends") who helped me erect a storage shed I bought from one of them, and they seemed to be competing with each other to see who could out-cuss the other with the grossest language--especially the "f" word that I find so gross. I was so glad once the shed was finished, and they went home.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If this is as reported...

That is NOT teaching. Teaching is exactly what she started out doing - having everyone share their own traditions surrounding a culturally significant day, whether they ignored it, tolerated it, or celebrated it, and no matter how.

If they weren't allowed to talk about it, she shouldn't have asked what they do, but it's ridiculous to expect such things will not be discussed in school. That's what school ends up being - a place where this stuff gets discussed, no matter how young a child is, and it's usually not an issue that young because they're just sharing at that age. The prickly stuff comes later.

No child, no matter what religion, should be shamed into being quiet about who they are.

I would be interested to hear if the child had been coached to give a "salvation lesson" in the speech. That could change things if this was a set-up for media attention, and would be sickening if the parents used a precious little child and set them up to be the fall person for them in order to get their five minutes of fame. Without hearing the other side, I'm wondering if there was an issue with parents setting kids up to proselytize their different religions, or even just this one, and stopping it was an attempt to keep this from turning into every parent sending their child in coached to proselytize. That's not what the school classroom is for.