1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

First it was the Jews, then Koreans, now Arabs.

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Another whiny black civil rights leader making derogatory racial remarks himself. Former Atlanta mayor and UN ambassador Andrew Young who until Friday worked for Wal-Mart to help it improve its public image is complaining abour Jews, Koreans and Arabs "rippin' off" the urban communities and saying that Wal-mart should displace independent store owners.
    But like any backpedaling politician, his comments were "misinterpreted", "taken out of context". Maybe we should be asking this question. If it wasnt for the "Jews, Koreans, and the Arabs" who are ambitious enough to go into depressed run down neighborhoods and start a small business where would the blacks but their beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets?
    What is stopping THEM from starting a business of their own in their "hoods".
    If some of these young black men would pull their jeans up to their waste, wear their hats straight and leard to speak proper English, support the children they produce maybe they would be running the stoer instead of other ethnic groups.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2329936&page=1

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your comments about "young black men" appear to have been made in the same spirit that this gentlman made his about "Jews & Arabs".

3. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Next time, slow down and don't get so emotionally involved -- will help make your response look more considered.

As for Andrew Young, he doesn't even have Mel Gibson's drunk excuse. The man stated his viewpoint. Quite clearly.

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Thanks for saying this Rev Mitchell. I agree, what he is accusing Andrew Young of doing to the Jews and Arabs he is doing to the blacks. You have grouped them all into a catagory of saggy pant's looking for a place to buy smokes and beer. I hope that is not your true belief of an entire race of people.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Good point Rev!

7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Hey Ps, how many "hoods" have you been to? I find your comments about the black community ignorant, and highly offensive to boot. You are no better than Young. There are MANY black small business owners, they just don't fall under your preconceived notions and stereotypes. Get a clue.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Instead of criticizing my comments, will some of you geniuses please tell me what the problem is in the black community? There are many blacks (Bill Cosby for one) who would agree with me. Are they not afforded every opportunity that other ethnic groups receive? What hurdles do they have to overcome that the Jews, Koreans and others have had to deal with? It is not prejudice that is making me think this way, it is experience and evidence.

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I was born in the Germantown section of Philadelphia and I now live in Tampa Florida and work in one of the worst parts of Tampa. Where do you live Mr. big shot film producer, Beverly Hills?

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Oh please, if you knew anything about the black community you would not be accusing the majority of them of being lazy, complaining, smoking, drunks. First of all, did you even notice that other leaders in the civil rights community have admonished Young, (including other black leaders). Second of all, give me some statistics to support your claims, then I will GLADLY refute them. So far all you have done is insult an entire community, which Bill cosby did not do, btw. I find it amusing that some people will latch on to the comments of those trying to help their community, (i.e. Bill cosby), in order to justify their own uneducated stereotypes.

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

First of all it's Mrs. big shot filmproducer to you. Second of all my husband is black, therefore so are my children. He was born in Johnstown, PA, and grew up in Prince Georges Co., MD. Thirdly, if you would have looked at my profile I live in Orlando. I have also volunteered in some of the worst "hoods" you could imagine and know many African Americans (poor and working class alike, as well as highly educated and upper class). I basically live within the black community, do you? didn't think so.

#11 Filmproducer, Aug 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
  12. billwald

billwald New Member

Prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Johnson't poverty programs the black communities had all sorts of black businesses because of segregation. After deseg the black people apparently preferred to deal with white and other sorts of people. This is different than the Chinese and Japanese People who, no matter where they move to return to their China town or Japanese stores.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

>Second of all my husband is black, therefore so are my children.

And your grand children and great grand children and great great grand children. When does the sequence end?

In other words, If we prejudiced folk can't identify black people by visual inspection, then why are they classified as black?

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

well, drat! No one has ever called me a big shot! Mrs. film-producer, I'm so glad at least I know one!

I think any of us need to be careful not to make sweeping judgements about entire groups of people. This would include the honorable Andrew Young. I read his comments this morning and thought, "well, sometimes we move forward and sometimes we don't." I know, it was terribly profound . . . but it is the first weekend after the first week back in school.

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Well MC, I never had the honor before today of being a big shot, but hey I will take it while I can. :smilewinkgrin:

BTW, I agree with you completely. I found Young's comments just as despicable as I found Ps's sweeping judgements about the black community.

16. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Good question, could it be because of prejudiced people in the first place? Personally, I don't care that my children are classified as black, it doesn't make them any less creative or intelligent.

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Unfortunately, that comes in all shapes and colors, too.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

> it doesn't make them any less creative or intelligent.

Agreed, but it classifies them with a destructive sub culture that degrades education and honest work.

19. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Congratulations. But I am familiar with First Baptist Church in Orlando and I would be willing to bet that your husband is a conservative black who would not fit in with the predominant hip-hop inner city culture which is ruining the black community. I would also bet that your husband relies on God for his well-being and not the Federal Government. Why do you not attend a black church?

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I guess it ain't easy to justify being the a flack for Walmart - which really does drive out small owner-run businesses from neighborhoods.

He sure didn't do Walmart any favors making those racist remarks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.