1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

First Ramifications of Tax Bill Hits Home

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Dec 20, 2017.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AT&T is giving $1,000 bonuses to 200,000 employees after tax bill

AT&T was quick to respond to news of U.S. tax reform, announcing it would give some employees bonuses once the law is official.

The telecom giant said in a press release on Wednesday that it would give more than 200,000 U.S. union members a special bonus of $1,000. The company also increased its capital expenditures budget by $1 billion in the U.S.

(if Tax Reform bill is signed before Christmas the employees get their bonus in 2017, so in the next 11 days!)

AT&T is giving $1,000 bonuses to 200,000 employees after tax bill

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish they had done a little bit for their retirees. Like everyone who retires from AT&T or almost all corporations these days, what you get for retirement medical is Medicare. Many but not all get a small amount annually to help pay for Medicare supplements. After working there for 38 years, due to the unique circumstances of the allied companies I worked for (Cingular and then AT&T Mobility for the last 10 years) I got Medicare PERIOD. AT&T contributed nothing to my retirement medical. This is why keeping Medicare alive is so important these days. Kill Medicare and you take most Boomer retirees off life support.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fifth Third Bancorp will pay more than 13,500 employees a bonus and raise the minimum wage of its workforce to $15 an hour after the passage of the Republican tax plan that will cut the bank's corporate tax rate.

Senior managers and top executives are excluded from the special payments. "It is good for our communities, employees and Fifth Third Bank," said CEO Greg Carmichael in a statement.

Wells Fargo, Fifth Third Bancorp unveil minimum wage hikes after tax bill passage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wells Fargo, meanwhile, also said it would be boosting its minimum wage for employees to $15 an hour, which was prompted by the tax plan. The San Francisco-based bank also said it would target $400 million in donations to community and nonprofit organizations next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Like Like x 1
  5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Like Like x 1
  6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A provision of the new tax law could bring as much as $400 billion in corporate cash from overseas back into the United States, per the Wall Street Journal. That’s because of the “repatriation” provision, which gives U.S. companies a one-time tax break to bring back overseas earnings and cash — meaning they’d have to sell foreign holdings and buy assets denominated in dollars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Like Like x 2
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrats say it's nothing but a political stunt to pay bonuses and raise wages when the tax rate is lowered. Denial at it's worst.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm wondering if they'll pay for their stupidity come mid-term elections.

I think it was on Fox News someone predicted Dems take Senate.

I guess it's going to show me if Americans in general have become as stupid as I sometimes fear they have.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or as stupid as the Progressives think they are - you know that Basket of Deplorables clinging to their guns and bibles...

You know the ones that booted them out of office

guess we will see 2018, 2020.

:)
    HankD

• Like Like x 1
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrats won't take the Senate in 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Calminian

Site Supporter

I'm no fan of Paul and Mitch, but I'm optimistic about that as well. I feel like they and Trump have come to grips with one another and learned how to work with one another. No political relationship is perfect. We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    U.S. Bancorp, the latest big U.S. employer to react favorably to the huge federal corporate tax cut signed into law by President Trump in December, plans to raise its minimum wage to $15 for hourly employees, pay a one-time bonus of $1,000 to nearly 60,000 employees and make a one-time contribution of $150 million to the U.S. Bank Foundation.

U.S. Bancorp will spend some of tax savings on employees

• Like Like x 1
  16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a political gimmick, doncha know? :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if it is, it's working quite well. What are the libs going to do with their call for a federal minimum wage of $15 when corporate America is instituting it all by themselves? The private market place is working.

My nephew is a network security administrator for US Bank and he is getting the $1,000 bonus. He also got promoted and got an 11% raise last year.

• Like Like x 1
  18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Southwest Airlines announced Tuesday the company’s plans to celebrate the new tax reform law President Trump signed right before Christmas.

The Southwest Board of Directors authorized a bonus to all Southwest Airlines employees to celebrate the recent passage of the tax reform legislation. All full-time and part-time Southwest employees with Southwest on Dec. 31, 2017, will receive a $1,000 cash bonus on Jan. 8, 2018.

Southwest Airlines have also donated an incremental $5 million to charitable causes as a result of tax reform.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

• Like Like x 1
  19. Calminian

Site Supporter

The good news keeps coming.

[​IMG]
    Winning: 100+ U.S. Companies Giving Trump Tax Cut Bonuses
    by KATHERINE RODRIGUEZ

I own a small business, and I can tell you, this month might be my best in years, and I'm not out of the first week yet. My clients are generally, larger corporations. Trickle trickle trickle.

From the article:

More than 100 U.S. companies are giving their employees up to $2,000 in bonuses after President Trump’s tax reform package became law.

The conservative taxpayer advocacy group Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) compiled a list of companies that gave their employees a little extra cash after the tax cut legislation passed, whether it be through bonuses or an increase in wages.​

• Like Like x 1
  20. Calminian

Site Supporter