1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fish Symbols and Christian Spending

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 2, 2001.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When I have to make a decision about using services of companies, and I have no prior knowledge, I flip in the yellow pages. .. and I am not sure if I prefer those who carry the fish symbol or not. Sometimes they wear the symbol to get business... and have not a lick of godliness about them.

Sometimes, too, doing buiness with a non Christian allows me the opportunity for witness.

What do you do when you see the fish symbol?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Being in a small town, anda member of the largest church in the area(small by comparrison to some of your churches I'm sure) we have a lot of business owners in our church. I find that most people are more likely to give business to christian owned business when possible. I don't think any of them use the fish symbol though.
    Do the businesses use the fish because they are christians and they want to tell everyone who sees there sign(thinking of a resturant in the next town over, where all the resturants are). There are people who give business the a shop with christian symbols, so I wonder. I don't think we should be harsh on them without actually knowing. Now if someone wants to ask one in their area and come and tell the rest of us the results would be interesting.

3. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katie:
    . . . I find that most people are more likely to give business to christian owned business when possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I for one would always choose a Christian-owned/manufactured product over a secular product. No question about it.

One of the purposes of this forum is to find out about such companies, so if you know of any large Christian companies, feel free to start a thread.

4. Jack

Jack New Member

One thing to consider is the intent of the person displaying the "fish". If it is to profit by the name of Christ I believe that is what Jesus was angry with in driving the businessmen from the temple.

The "fish" sign was originally used in times of persecution so that one Christian could identify another for the purpose of edification not commerce.

I understand the other side of the coin also, but feel the name of Christ should be keep holy (separate) from the world's god business.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I notice how christian items in christian stors cost a lot more then comparable secular items in secular stores. Seems to me christians are the first ones to finacially profit from Jesus.
    I mean really $1.00 for and ink pen that at wal mart is 10/1.00, without something christian on it.

6. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

I don't normally worry about it, I just shop and don't give it a second thought. karen

7. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katie:
    I notice how christian items in christian stors cost a lot more then comparable secular items in secular stores. Seems to me christians are the first ones to finacially profit from Jesus.
    I mean really $1.00 for and ink pen that at wal mart is 10/1.00, without something christian on it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a very simple explanation for this. Volume and Overhead are the key words.

1.) Let's suppose Wal-Mart buys the same product for $0.05, while the Christian store owner can buy it for $0.25. Why the difference? Wal-Mart buys in quantity and gets volume discounts. Wal-Mart might buy millions of units while the Christian store owner may buy 100. So Wal-Mart has a $0.20 advantage already.

2.) In the retail industry overhead expenses (rent, utilities, salaries, etc.) are spread over the units sold. So Wal-Mart adds its unit overhead allocation of, say, $0.03 (and retains a profit of $0.02 on every item sold). Similarily, the Christian store owner has to allocate his overhead costs to the units sold (and since most Christians shop at secular stores) he has to add $4-5/unit to cover his overhead.

Hence, the difference.

BTW, Wal-Mart beats every competitor when it comes to pricing. Hope this helps.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: webmaster ]

8. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I tend to notice Christian establishments and try to keep them in mind when I actually have money *hehe*

There is a used car lot here in the town I live in (small rural area) and the owner flies the American flag alongside the Christian flag. If I ever want to buy a car, I'll try him first.

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

P.S. Thanks webmaster, for pointing out the business aspect of buying and selling and overhead and all that jazz...I too had some ill feelings about the prices they charge, but thanks to you I now understand and will continue to give my patronage. :D

9. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack:
    One thing to consider is the intent of the person displaying the "fish". If it is to profit by the name of Christ I believe that is what Jesus was angry with in driving the businessmen from the temple.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't worry about this too much [​IMG]

Unfortunately, adding a "fish" is more of a liability :( Just think about it. You decide to open a grocery store. Based on the above it's clear that the more you sell (volume) the better (for 2 reasons, you'll buy cheaper and allocate less overhead/unit).

So if you call it "Your Corner Grocery" there is a good chance that everyone in the neighborhood will stop by and if they like the service they remain customers for some time. However, if you call it "Christian Grocery (or add a fish, etc.), you can be absolutely certain that muslims, jews, hindus, buddhists, atheists, gays, etc. will never buy in your store if they can help it.

So why would anyone add the fish for profit?