1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Five Books of Moses

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TheOliveBranch, Nov 28, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I stand informed.... :thumbs:

For the record, I never questioned Moses' authorship, I was responding to this statement.

On that note, anyone ever read the 6th and 7th books of Moses?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1564598578/?tag=baptis04-20

2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good article, Jonathan, well worth reading.
    When we study the scriptures we need to be open to changing our ideas, thoughts and opinions (yes, even our way of life).

Personally I've moderated my opinions of NT textual variants after seeing how God worked in the OT scriptures.

Rob

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Inspired the same way as the rest of the Bible. God gave the content to Moses. I don't think we know exactly how that process goes - I don't believe in a wooden verbal dictation. I believe in verbal plenary inspiration. See the Chicago Stmt on Biblical Inerrancy.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

1. But regarding the fact that the dead rise again, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God spoke to him, saying, ' I AM THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, AND THE GOD OF ISAAC, and the God of Jacob'?
    2. Luke 2:22
      And when the days for their purification according to the law of Moses were completed, they brought Him up to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord
    3. Luke 5:14
      And He ordered him to tell no one, "But go and show yourself to the priest and make an offering for your cleansing, just as Moses commanded, as a testimony to them."
    4. Luke 16:31
      "But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'"
    5. John 5:46
      "For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me.
    6. Romans 10:5
      For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness.
    There are several places quoting from some of the Pentateuch attributing it to Moses as the author.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It is entirely appropriate to reject unsustantiated attacks, which is what I was referring to.

This has been refuted. These theories you refer to are based mostly on scholars who did not believe in the inspiration of scripture and/or who rejected the supernatural.

Yes, it would because it contradicts God's word.

I do not think that requires "too much." If the books are truly inspired by God and a certain person says he is the author or he is given as the author, to not believe that would be to believe it is a lie. Then we could just pick and choose what we want to believe from the whole Bible (in which case, I would probably reject it completely as God's word for what it said plainly as I did before I was a Christian, and used it as an esoteric book with "hidden" messages).

7. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I remain unconvinced that it is necessary to stand with traditional authorship in order to maintain belief in the authority and validity of Scripture. To me, the "house of cards" theory sets itself up for disaster; if I am expected to think that every jot and tittle of the Biblical text is to be accepted at face value, or else the whole thing comes down, then rest assured that somebody, somewhere, will demonstrate some discrepancy, and then where is my belief system?

No, I place my confidence in God Himself and then read the Word to discover great truths about Him, about myself, about the world, about the church ... etc. ... and am not worried about historical minutiae, a prescientific worldview, or literary conventions.

Of course Jesus spoke of the Pentateuch as being written by Moses. That is what the tradition in His day said, and He was a child of His times in certain respects. Even if you stipulate that He did know otherwise (and I am by no means suggesting that He knew about J, E, D, and P :laugh:), it would have been beside the point for Him to argue about authorship. That is not what He was going for. No so incidentally, however, He did contradict, or perhaps you want to say, transcend, certain Mosaic passages. Revelation is always progressive in nature.

8. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Moses is behind the Pentateuch, but since the time Moses composed it it may have been updated by prophets charged by God with keeping the Word, and these updates (sometimes parenthetical notes) were thus inspired (whether this means written with foreknowledge by Moses himself [cf. Gen 36:31-39] or by one of God's prophets later may be debated, in which you probably must say that Moses wrote it by foreknowledge, which is perfectly fine). Even Gleason Archer said that the last chapter of Deut is "demonstrably post-Mosaic" in A Survey of Old Testament Introduction (updated and rev. ed.; Chicago: Moody, 1994) 276.

So Marcia, when you say Moses wrote the Pentateuch, what do you mean? Do you mean he wrote everything but the last chapter? If so, then he did not write every word of the Pentateuch. Nevertheless I think Moses is indeed the primary hand behind the Pentateuch, and I hope most Baptists would agree.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think he wrote that he died. Most people who ascribe the Pentateuch to Moses, as far as I know, do not say he wrote that part.