1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Fixing America may be just too painful for all of us!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2012.

?
  1. Yes...

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No...

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No opinion...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Here is how I would fix America [see comments]...

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

You got that right!!!

Both You and Lady Eagle are right on target!!!.....I think our purpose here in this world at this time is simply this...and ONLY this.....Be faithful to our Lord and do all we can to advance and fulfill His Great Commission in the time that remains! I personally believe that time may be very short...but regardless...we must be about our Father's business!

Bro.Greg:praying:

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

First, I agree 100% that we should rely on God to keep His promises. ALL of them. I have no doubt about that. And, I often think about the "promises" that He did not make. -- an easy life -- a life without suffering and hardship.

Back to the technology issue. For 17 years I was a Data Processing Manager. That was during the time that electronics matured as a force to be reconnned with in today's society. I was first introduced to computers in the days of keypunch operators and paper punched cards. Personal computers were still a gleem in the eyes of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

Where I became DP Mgr, the second IBM mini-computer (smaller than an mainframe) sold in our area rolled into our business about 2 months after I was hired. Part of my responsibilites involved making the transition from manually prepared paper records to an automated system. Sales orders were typed. Accounts payable and account receivable were manually posted. Inventory was tracked by writing receipts and shipments on cards, using adding machines to maintain quantity on hand, on order balances.

FWIW, I watched with hands-on experience, what advances in technology did with regards to jobs. Starting with a 4 million per year company, it took 2 people approximately a week to produce the first draft of financial statements after month-end close. When I left the 20 million dollar company, I could produce financial statements, adjusted with accurals, within a few hours of the close. Within that was budget to actual comparisions and detailed account analysis. When at 4 mil, it took weeks after the year end close to produce Y/E financial statements. When I left, I was generating the equivalent of Y/E every M/E. Within a few hours, instead of days and weeks.

Over the years I grew to understand just how many jobs were not created to keep up with the growth of the company.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Just trying to establish the background for what I'm about to say.

Earlier, you wrote:

You've proposed a technology solution for low-cost labor. "Imagine being able to replace" a segement of our existing labor force "with relatively inexpensive machines".

Point 1: Job losses have already filtered down to many blue collar AND white collar jobs. Either new jobs were not created, as in my personal example. Or, people were laid off when inexpensive machines replaced them.

Point 2: We are no longer an agricultural society. We no longer produce much of what we need to exist. Thus, the old skill sets are fast fading away. There's only 1 foundry (last time I checked) that makes castiron cookware in the US. How many women today can thread a needle and sew on a button? How many men know how to safely cut firewood and build a cooking fire?

Technology advances, IMO, is a two edged sword. Yes, I am sitting here using modern technology to "talk" with you. Yes, I'm well aware of the benefits that modern technology has brought about. And, I'm also aware of the negatives, too. That's before "I know that the wicked will happily find some evil application for it."

As a pastor, what do you tell a man who has lost his job to technology, when there is no work in the area that can utilize his skillset? Whether its a certified fork lift operator or a lab tech skilled in quality control in a textile dye and finish mill. How does he put food on the table by the sweat of his brow, when he has become expendable? Maybe disposable is a better word. Toss him out when the robot arrives.

Especially when you are working towards the goal of putting more people out of work yourself?

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

The only way to fix America is with the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. We can't fix America by having a particular person in office. We can't fix America by people being forced to act good. We can't fix America by people willingly being good. The ONLY way to fix America is with the gospel!

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a difference between fixing America spiritually and materially. Spiritually, the only way is changed hearts through faith in the power of the Gospel and Jesus Christ. That is why local New Testement churches are here. If there was a change of heart, the issues of abortion, gay rights, and other moral issues would become a moot point. Legislation from corrupt politicians will never solve the problem. In the best of worlds, it might slow its progression.

Materially, we are truly a blessed nation. As I said in a former post, a lot of that bailout money that was wasted could have been used to fix our infrastructure. It was all squandered.