1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flag Burning

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jun 15, 2006.

1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Letters to the editor are words. Speech.
    The act of burning something is conduct.

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

They did not invent new rights. They extended existing rights to more people.

3. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

As you know, it is much harder to do that than it is for 5 of 9 Supreme Court justices to sweep away state laws with the flourish of a pen.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It makes a statement, so yeah, it's speech.

5. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes, right up there with rolling tires into the road and setting them on fire, running up and down Broadway naked, or urinating on the courthouse. Just making a statement. :rolleyes:

6. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

If someone wants to burn the Flag, that is their right, no matter how stupid and disgraceful I may think it is. The great danger is that many Americans want to turn a symbol of the USA into a idol.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Public safety problem; ok, but shoes are highly advisable; public health problem.

Hey Kiffen! Where you been to? :wavey:

8. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Hi Daisy! Oh, I have been busy in the ministry.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Mr. Speaker, let me summarize why I oppose this Constitutional amendment. I have myself served 5 years in the military, and I have great respect for the symbol of our freedom. I salute the flag, and I pledge to the flag. I also support overriding the Supreme Court case that overturned State laws prohibiting flag burning. Under the Constitutional principle of federalism, questions such as whether or not Texas should prohibit flag burning are strictly up to the people of Texas, not the United States Supreme Court. Thus, if this amendment simply restored the state's authority to ban flag burning, I would enthusiastically support it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]However, I cannot support an amendment to give Congress new power to prohibit flag burning. I served my country to protect our freedoms and to protect our Constitution. I believe very sincerely that today we are undermining to some degree that freedom that we have had all these many years." - Congressman Ron Paul(R-TX)[/FONT]

- more at www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul99.html

10. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

That was part of the argument against banning burning. If your going to enforce one part of US Flag code, then enforce it all. Then the quibbling started. Great points Alcott!