1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Flannery O'Conner

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Baptist Believer, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone else like Flannery O'Conner's short stories and novels?

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did you originally come across her work. Was it through "Christian" sources (church friends, a mention in a sermon/Christian school) or was it through school/university or personal reading.

I'm kind of interested to see how well her work in accepted in conservative Christian circles. [​IMG]

IMO, her short story "Revelation" is one of the best pieces of fiction (religious or otherwise) I have ever read. Simple, profound and biblical all at once.

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I really don't remember how I first found her.
    I've always been into Southern lit and I guess it's just from that.

Well, I can't imagine that they'd go over well here on BB because there's such a strong anti-Catholic bias and she was a devout Catholic and her work was heavily infulenced by Catholic teaching.

I think that's a shame, since her writing contains a lot of themes about redemption and grace that the church needs to hear.

I agree, it's very good.

I don't know if I have a favorite but I guess "A Good Man id Hard to Find" is her biggest.