1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Flashing headlights to warn of police

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many folks will flash headlight to warn others of a police speed checkpoint.

Would you flash your headlights for that purporse?

A man was ticketed for just that.

How did the judge rule?

Do you agree with the judge?

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I flash my headlights when I see police. Why not, if it slows them down it may prevent a wreck and a ticket. But then again maybe a ticket is what they need. I know many years ago I got a speeding ticket and it did serve it's purpose, it slowed me down.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Years ago I worked for the American Automobile Association, we used to warn drivers of known speed traps on our "Trip Tiks".

The funny thing is, I've had one speeding ticket in over 40 years of driving, and I got it in one of those speed trap towns that I knew about. When I got pulled over I had been sitting at a stop sign for probably a full minute. When the police officer approached I asked what was wrong, and he said I was speeding. I said, "I wasn't even moving!" :tongue3:

I told the cop that everybody knew the cops were corrupt in his town. He said, "You about to talk yourself into jail, boy." My brother told me to shut up before I got us arrested.

Anyway, I agree with the judge that we should be able to warn others.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a long stretch of dangerous road between me and my job (in one direction) and me and my church (the other direction).

No shoulder. Too curvy. Too hilly. Can't pass, but some nuts try to. There's been many deaths (both directions) over the past decades.

And many times either state troopers are there - hiding - or local sheriff's deputies are patrolling openly. I'm grateful for them. And they will give tickets as I can attest to. :rolleyes:

Of course I flash my lights! It slows people down. And when lights are flashed at me - I wave my hand in thanks - it slows me down.

I've driven those roads for a long time and when one gets accustomed to doing something like that for that long - one gets careless.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

I would, and I have.
    Absolutely.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TAKE THAT GINA!!

TND does practice civil disobedience! He does not blindly follow stupid laws!

[BTW, I would also flash my headlights in a speed trap zone.]

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not flash my headlights. That is akin to owning a fuzzbuster. Planning to break the laws of the road and how to get away with it is not Christian behavior.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Owning a fuzzbuster does not necessarily mean one is out to break the law. True, a lot of people use them for that purpose, but others use them to remind them to stay within the speed limit. Most GPS units have a speed alert setting on them for this purpose as well.

Do you think Fuzzbusters should be illegal?

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In the 60s and 70s, while traveling, I used to get in an organized convoy with my CB. It was quite effective. I guess you guys remember the days of the CB. I never owned a fuzz buster, but did flash my lights when I was younger. As I have aged, I have stopped. Although I can understand the reasoning of slowing people down, I get so tired of reckless drivers on the road.

Here is one example. I am driving down a four lane road. There is a red light a few blocks up ahead. While I am slowing down, another driver will slam on the accelerator, then the brakes, to the point of making the vehicle lunge forward just so they can get ahead of me. Then, when the light turns green, they squeal the tires to take off.

On the opposite extreme, this drives me crazy. Going down a two lane road, I get behind an elderly driver. It is usually and Grand Marques. If the speed limit is 45, they will be going 20. They have their mouths wide open, and look in the rear view mirror every five seconds. Sometimes, their nose is almost stuck to the windshield. Now get this. If they want to turn right, they do not turn on their blinker. They slam on their brakes, execute the right turn, and in the middle of the execution, onto the other street, then turn on the blinker.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

They are in a lot of states. In Virginia, you can't even possess one in your vehicle, even if it's turned off. Washington, D.C. and all U.S. military bases at home are abroad forbid the use of Fuzzbusters. In California, Minnesota and New York, you can have one as long as it isn't attached to your windshield. They'll allow you to use a dash-mount suction cup stand or a visor-mounted clip for it. Further more, California, Colorado, Illinois. Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and D.C. all outlaw laser detectors. These guys just ain't no fun.

Remember the 85 mph trees? :laugh:

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's interesting. It's illegal to possess a radio receiver if it tunes to a particular frequency band of the electromagnetic spectrum. If you do, you are automatically presumed guilty.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

LOL!

I think he needs a time out. Where's Officer Joe when ya need him?

I've been known to flash my lights at speeding cars, just to enjoy watching them slow down. :laugh: No police cars in sight. I don't like it when people speed.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

You're probably the one who sits in the fast lane side by side with a car going under the speed limit, too, aren't you? You want a badge, go to the academy.

While rushing to fill out that application, don't forget to consider the huge irony in your unwillingness to obey or see enforced the laws governing marijuana, but you're perfectly willing to lie to other motorists about a non-existent police car when you judge them as going too fast.

[​IMG]

#13 thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hi TND. I hope you had a good day today.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Thanks, I did. Hope yours was equally good.

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It was decent. Thank you.

See? We can both be civil. :wavey:

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

I never doubted it for a moment. :thumbsup:

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Hmmmm - this may call to flash my headlights.....

19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did it earlier today, will continue to do so.

I respect the police in our area and love ministering to them. However, the police in our area have bonuses tied to writing citations. For many police departments, they purposefully go out and write tickets when their budget runs low. Too many moving violations are just an added tax.

While we need to obey laws, I don't mind letting other motorists know that there are watchers in the area. If they choose to heed that warning, its up to them.

As for the judge, this was a good ruling.

About ten years ago I received my one and only ticket. While visiting another state, I had stopped at a stop sign and then moved forward. The police officer who pulled me over said I didn't wait long enough...apparently I should have counted to ten in his opinion.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what State or Commonwealth you are talking about, but in NY State - there is no "waiting" at a stop sign. A Stop is simply a cessisation of movement. What we teach our students is they must feel a slight jerk to the rear.
    Just becasue a police officer writes a ticket - it does not mean you actually broke the law. Be sure to check it out. Nowdays, a ticket can drastically increase your car insurance rates.

Bottom line - what is the purpose of a ticket? For you to drive safer, or a way to raise funds for the town?
    Often the police are in the middle - they have a job to do - as prescribed by the officals we elect.