1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"...Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." - Matthew 4:19

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by LarryN, Aug 6, 2004.

1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

My home state of Minnesota is called "the land of 10,000 lakes". Therefore it's no surprise that a very large percentage of the population purchases a fishing license every year. In my case, one of my grandfathers taught me how to fish decades ago.

Now, anyone who has ever cast a line into any type of waters knows that not one single type of bait will attract or catch every kind of fish. In fact, what catches one kind of fish like crazy on one day may not even get a nibble from that same kind of fish the next. That's why most fishermen/women will carry a large tacklebox with a variety of lures/baits. Depending on the circumstances, live bait might even be used.

Jesus called among his disciples some fishermen; and many of the people who flocked to hear & see Him were either fishermen themselves, or certainly familiar with how to catch fish. On the Sea of Galilee, oftentimes nets were used then- and they still are to this day. I myself took some photos a few years ago of two men fishing with a net from a small wooden boat along the south shoreline of the Sea of Galilee.

Getting back to the present times, every avid person who fishes seems to have some favorite type of lure or bait- their own "top-secret", if you will. Since Jesus Himself used fishing as an analogy for spreading His Good News, I got to thinking this morning (during my commute) that I'd be curious to see if some BB members might like to share or discuss their own "top-secret" baits in being "fishers of men". In some parts of the country/world it might be a particular type of ministry or a certain type of music. Perhaps you have a favorite "bait" that seems to attract lots of youth, or the elderly. Maybe you use a certain type of bait that draws in numbers of families with small children, etc.

"Fishers of men", let's hear about some of your favorite, or even "top-secret", types of bait.