1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Following Christ - what is the difference

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 23, 2006.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As I read through the Gospels I find several instances where Jesus said "follow me." Most of them are in a general sense of an instruction or the importance of taking up a cross to follow Him.

There are seemingly two specific commands that require a particular action.

Matthew 8v22 - "But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead."

Matthew 19v21 - "Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."

On another thread some have claimed that going to the funeral of a lost person is in conflict with following Christ.

To be consistant would one also not have to sell all that he has to give to the poor to follow Christ?

What is the difference in the two passages that prohibits me going to a lost person's funeral, but allows me to keep any of my possessions?

2. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

As I'm sure you already know there is no difference in the passages.

I guess the point you are trying to make is that people have an inconsistent standard in interpreting the passages, doing so according to what suits and does not inconvenience them personally.

If so, I agree.

MR

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Mt 8:22, what I was told was that the man wanted to go and bury his father, who wasn't dead yet, so he was waiting till then(after his father's death) to follow Jesus, putting off following HIm till it was more convenient. I do not think it is reasonable to say Jesus is saying you can not go to a funeral of an unsaved person.
    Both instances Jesus was not giving us instruction, but talking to specific people about them, about where they were spiritually in their lives at that moment. But there is application for us, many are in the same places spiritually, waiting till convenient to follow, or thinking their works are the same as following, and not willing to do what it really takes to follow Jesus..

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You have the answer of course donnA. That is exactly what Jesus was talking about.

The question arose when the only Bible "proof" for not attending a Catholic funeral was "let the dead bury the dead."

I am wondering if they have sold everything they own and given it to the poor. I would assume they are posting here on a borrowed computer, since if they owned one they could sell it and give the money to the poor so they could truly follow Jesus.

Thus it goes when we adopt flawed reasoning for a "proof text".

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, everyone so far!

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Of course you are right Roger.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Bump - would love to see an explanation.

Surely one of you folks can tell me what I am missing here.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think it's possible to overanalyze Jesus' words. [​IMG]

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I agree with Johnv.

We don't know that the disciples father wasn't a follower of Jesus, do we? Is Jesus talking about the spiritually dead or the physically dead.

We go to funerals to comfort the living. They've got nothing to do with the dead really. Again, I keep thinking about the folks with whom Jesus associated -- I think we can do great harm to our testimony by seeming "holier than thou."

I also keep thinking that us Baptists aren't correct in all areas.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Neither. Jesus was calling the man to put God first, and people second. The man in question ws putting off following Christ until his father was dead and buried (we don't even know if his father was even dead yet). Jesus was not forbidding him from attending to his father.

If there were a song that depicts this, it's "Cat's in the Cradle" about a man who keeps putting his son second to other things. By the time he realizes his mistake, it was too late.
    Ya think???? [​IMG]

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I agree with Johnv.

We don't know that the disciples father wasn't a follower of Jesus, do we? Is Jesus talking about the spiritually dead or the physically dead.

We go to funerals to comfort the living. They've got nothing to do with the dead really. Again, I keep thinking about the folks with whom Jesus associated -- I think we can do great harm to our testimony by seeming "holier than thou."

I also keep thinking that us Baptists aren't correct in all areas.

12. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I agree, mcdirector. I have never been to a Catholic Church, but I would have no problem attending a wedding, funeral, etc., of a friend at a Catholic Church. Just because you attend a wedding, etc. doesn't mean you agree with Catholic doctrine.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I went to a Jewish wedding once. I must tbe hellbound.

14. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

In these verses and others Christ is telling us what it means to be a Christian. It means living our life so that He is our master rather than the world. He tells the one man that following Him is more iportant than burying his father because that is getting in the way of the man surrendering himself totally to Him. In the other case, the wealthty values his possessions more than his faith.

Christianity is not easy and it does not consist entirely of accepting Christ 25 years ago at a revival. It's an ongoing journey upon which we are constantly tested by Satan. Think of the one thing that YOU love most in THIS world. That's what Christ is saying you must make secondary to your faith in order to be a faithful follower(and to be saved).

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    Mat 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I agree 100% with your comments.

Now explain to me why I can't go to a funeral, but I can own a computer.

16. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I don't believe that not attendng a funeral or selling everything you have literally applies to everyone. I think these commands are specific to the individual and represent excuses or other gods that are preventing them from surrendering their life to Christ.

I'm an engineer and I love computers. Maybe I need to rethink how much time I spend on them relative to the amount of time I serve the Kingdom. Of course, the computer, like money, isn't intrinsically bad and can be used for His glory.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Good post - I wish I could get these other guys to tell me the difference in what they said was wrong (going to a funeral) and not selling all their goods to give to the poor.

I don't think they are going to tell me the difference.

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Neither. Jesus was calling the man to put God first, and people second.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree with you, I guess I was referencing the other thread where people kept talking about letting the dead bury the dead because they were spirtually dead. I was trying to make a point that it didn't matter :D (point obviously not made!)

We need to put Jesus first. That may mean letting all kinds of different things take care of themselves.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good words, mcdirector.

I'm still waiting for one of the local legalists to berate me for having attended a Jewish funeral. [​IMG]

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Hmm, it appears that these fols don't have an answer.

If I didn't know better I'd say they didn't have an answer for me.