1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Food banks face high costs but feeding more people

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Crabtownboy, May 27, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Food banks face high costs but feeding more people
    AP
    Posted: 2008-05-26 17:19:07
    STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) - Jackie Hoffman sifted through a laundry bin filled with aging bread, choosing a loaf of white.

Like nearly a third of the first 50 customers to arrive at the Emergency Food Bank of Stockton that morning, Hoffman was new to the pantry. But since she lost her sales job at a local newspaper in December, she has not found work in Stockton, which has the highest foreclosure rate in the country and a hurting job market.

"I'm down on my luck," Hoffman said, squeezing and sniffing the bread. "And food is going through the roof. I need help."

Hoffman, 55, is one of the growing number of "nontraditional" food pantry clients across the country. They include more formerly independent senior citizens, more people who own houses and more people who used to call themselves "middle-class" - those who are not used to fretting over the price of milk.

"We're getting calls all the time from people who want to know how to get here," said Kristine Gibson, community outreach manager at the Stockton food pantry. "And when I ask where they live, they give an address of a nice neighborhood, one where you or I would want to live."

April saw the biggest jump in food prices in 18 years, according to the Labor Department. At the same time, workers' average weekly earnings, adjusted for inflation, dropped for the seventh straight month.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/food-banks-face-high-costs-but-feeding/n20080526171909990002

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

3-4 times a year, our students go out into communities (When we do it on a retreat weekend, we're able to hit over 1,500 homes), and collect 1-2 cans of food from folks, if they can spare it. IT goes to our local food bank.

Most food banks folks will tell you...Feb-August is quite lean. The fall usually gets a bit better, and Christmas sees a lot of donations. But they need food year round. That is complicated this year by more needs.

Donate if you can, guys.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

The food banks pay $0.08 per pound for the foods they give away. Means a box of cereal is less then $0.08, most canned veggies are around $0.08 to $0.10 a can.
    This where the foods at local food banks come from=
    http://www.secondharvestky.com/

I'm sure there is an increase of need right now. Here people lie and cheat to get free food, and not just what they need, but all they can get, no matter the need. And these aren't all needy or even low income people either. I have seen this personally when I used to have to visit food banks when I had children living at home.

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Donna, I am curious. Do people where you live have to sign up through social services? What is the procedure for being allowed to get food from the food bank?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Food banks are not government agencies, so not you do not have to sign up through social services or any agency at all. You just show up and get a box, most places you chose which foods you want, it looks like grocery store shelves. Some places though fill a box and give to you.They are the ones who usually have small food banks, and limited resources. All they want is your name(some don't even want your name), some want address, phone number, the only time I was ever asked about income was when we got commodities, which are given to food banks by the goverment, so there are goverment standards for the commoditites, which they use not only for eligability but to determine how much a family recieves.
    Basically to get food, just get in line, unless it's commodities. Which is why there are people abusing it, no need to prove income, so I've seen a lot of well to do people recieving food bank foods, ad yes it was for them, not others. You aren't allowed to go and get food for other people, each family has to get their own and only theirs.

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is very interesting. In Maryland where I live to obtain food form a food bank a person/family must be approved by social services. We have a list of people in our area who are approved. Each month we mail a post card to each family and they must bring the card with them to get the groceries. The card is kept and a check mark placed beside their name on the list. If a person fails to pick up their groceries we attempt to contact them. If they miss three months in a row, I believe it is three months, they are dropped from the list and must reapply through social services.

We also have a list of elderly or others who cannot pick up the food at the food bank and we deliver the food to them.
    You are right, at least for the food bank the church I attend helps at. It is not a government agency. About 7 or 8 churches have joined together to run the food bank and we follow the rules set down by the state in the operation of the bank.

I am quite amazed that in your area all you have to do is get in line. But I guess procedures vary from state to state.

#6 Crabtownboy, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2008
  7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why do you have to have government be a part of it if it isn't a government agency? Or does the food come from or partially funded by the government? Seems if a church wants to give away food, they could chose who to give it too, not the government. Here they have nothing to do with government unless they want to be able to give away commodities, and then the government only over sees that portion. Not all food banks give away commodities. Most are privately operated, like through churches. They have to follow the basic rules from the Second Harvest (where most of the food bank foods come from), but that is it.
    In the link I gave, under active members, I don't know a lot of them, but in BArren co. Pathfinders is a school agency, mostly to serve families in the school district, but I have taken mom there. She had to prove income, and they gave a her a couple of boxes of food. In Hart co. Wickerville Baptist church I've been too many times in the past, they box it up because they have a small food closet, no personal info needed. Others that I've been too not still participating you just walked up, no need to give your name even, one was open only 2 days a week in the afternoons and there was always a line.
    The other one just go in and get it. But that guy, a preacher, was stealing from it. They aren't allowed to charge or even suggest a donation, now not allowed to accept a donation, and he weighted and charged for the food. But it was still a small fraction of grocery stores($0.30 for a box of $3.95 cereal is still good). He didn't put all the money he collected in the box for future food bank purchases either, saw he many times stick it in his pocket, or wallet even. His family picked through the food to get what they wanted first.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any food bank I have seen is done through church or parachurch ministries. And there are plenty of them in Fla.