1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foolish Prayers vs. True Prayers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, May 17, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have had The Minor Prophets by James Boice for quite some time now . It is a shame that it is a 537-page paperback -- it is getting frayed .

In his comments on Jonah , he has some words regarding Jonah's prayer in 2:1-9 . Boice cites four characteristics of all true prayer . I will just go into part of his first principle .

The first is honesty . The prayer is starkly honest . So often Christians are dishonest in their prayers . They come to the Lord trying to overlook some circumstance that He has caused , ignore some sin that He has highlighted , or obtain some request that He has already clearly rejected .
    What we do may be illustrated by a story freqently told by Donald Grey Barnhuse . On one occasion his daughter had come to him with a request that he had denied . " Well , then , what do you want me to do ? " She asked . He told her what he wanted and then went on with his work . She remained standing in front of him .
    At length Mrs. Barnhouse called to the daughter from another room . " Where are you ? What are you doing ? " she asked .
    The daughter replied , " I am waiting for Daddy to tell me what he wants me to do . "
    At this point Barnhouse raised his head and said to her , " Whatever you are doing , you are not waiting to find out what I want you to do . I have have told you what I want you to do , but you do not like it . You are actually waiting to see if you can get me to change my mind . "
    Any perceptive Christian can see himself in that story , for many of our prayers are attempts to get God to let us do something He has already clearly forbidden . If we go on to reject His will and thus reap the fruits of our disobedience , we frequently try to explain away the results .
    Christians ought to be the greatest realists in the world . But they are not , especially when they are disobeying God or running away from Him . Instead of being honest about their trouble , as Jonah was , they find themselves trying to explain their miseries away ...

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Rippon,
    I really enjoyed that story. Its a matter of sinful man thinking he can change God's will to his sinful desires instead of us conforming to God's will. The flesh is all about being self-centered. Jonah, even at the end of the book, was still angry.

3. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I am ultra honest with the Lord in prayer because I know he knows everything I have did or thought anyway. I want to be blameless and spotless when I stand infront of him one day.