1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Footwashing, Such a Blessing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bobby Schuller:

"I had the privilege today of conducting a ceremony where a number of pastors and I washed the feet of the King family as an act of repentance for the church not supporting the civil rights movement in the Sixties."

(April 2016) Baptist Pastors Bernice King and Ronnie Floyd with others in vestments commemorating the racial reconciliation event at United Cry DC:
    [​IMG]

#1 Jerome, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmmm. Wrong people doing the foot washing. Foot washing was about forgiving the other guy.

The priests in the OT tabernacle worked in a beautiful structure, but walked, barefoot, on a dirt floor. As they ministered to the Lord in their magnificent vestments their feet would be dirty. Thus Jesus telling the disciples who were in the world, but not of it, that as they ministered they would pick up some of the dirt just as the priest's feet picked up the dirt of the world. Just by washing their feet they would be clean.

When Jesus told them to wash each other's feet He was telling them for forgive one another for the dirt of the world they had picked up while ministering. It was the person doing the forgiving who was washing the feet of the other.

Very misunderstood passage of scripture. Forgive one another is the message. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes , it has become a symbolic gesture reflecting the thought of cleansing from being in but not of the world along with forgiving our sins against one another.

The Primitive Baptist churches and some other Baptists (and even non-baptist pedigrees) see it as an ordinance of the church.

Personally, I'm not convinced it is an ordinance but would not object if I visited a church that allowed it of strangers (it's usually private) assuming of course they themselves could tolerate washing my feet (a true test of brotherly love would be to wash my gnarly feet).

HankD

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....there's TWO of them, it's FEET WASHING, not foot washing.... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank I need to correct you... In the Primitive Baptist Church I was brought up in communion was an ordinance if one wants to call it that but not feet-washing... Feet-washing was an example... For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you... The Lord said it and we do it... An act so simple yet so deep... (We understand that others don't and respect that not all see this act as we do )... Btw Hank I've washed a lot of gnarly feet and yours wouldn't be the first and until you participate you have know idea and words cannot convey the brotherly love you feel at your brothers feet... Brother Glen

#5 tyndale1946, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh huh. Like the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears. She was doing the forgiving, she was forgiving Him.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, completely different subject. Remember the three rules for understanding the bible.

1. Context
    2. Context
    3. Context

Oh, and did I mention "context?"

Here. I will give you a little help.

John 13:3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he came from God, and was going to God,
    4 arose from supper, and laid aside his outer garments. He took a towel, and wrapped a towel around his waist.
    5 Then he poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
    6 Then he came to Simon Peter. He said to him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?”
    7 Jesus answered him, “You don’t know what I am doing now, but you will understand later.”
    8 Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I don’t wash you, you have no part with me.”
    9 Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!”
    10 Jesus said to him, “Someone who has bathed only needs to have his feet washed, but is completely clean. You are clean, but not all of you.”
    11 For he knew him who would betray him, therefore he said, “You are not all clean.”
    12 So when he had washed their feet, put his outer garment back on, and sat down again, he said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you?
    13 You call me, ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord.’ You say so correctly, for so I am.
    14 If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.
    15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.
    16 Most certainly I tell you, a servant is not greater than his lord, neither one who is sent greater than he who sent him.

So, was Jesus asking forgiveness from the disciples? Of course not. He was demonstrating the daily need to be cleansed from the dirt we pick up in our daily walk. He is saying when we sin we don't have to get saved all over again, we are already clean, we just need to take care of the little bit of dirt we picked up along the way.

Then He says to do the same thing for others. Just as He forgives us our daily sins so we should also forgive others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. As Jesus forgives us our daily sins so we ought to forgive others. :)

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I agree with you TC and agreed with the scriptural references you submitted but what you say we put into practice in feet-washing and we fully understand that others don't see it as we do but our way is not your way... In Brotherly Love... Brother Glen

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you only wash one at a time. :Wink

:Biggrin:Biggrin:Biggrin

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is so true but when you are done both feet have been washed and not just one... Unless the brother whose foot you just washed only had one... Never washed a brothers foot who only had one... Those I have met during the feet-washing service had two... Just wanted to clear up that misunderstanding... Brother Glen:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa!

HankD

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected, but there is a dispute on the internet - some are PB's which say it is an ordinance and seem quite passionate about it as PB's are wont to be.

I am sure it would be as you say, some day perhaps I will.

HankD

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad I learned about foot washing in the Bible. One day when it was time for the daily take-a-bath conflict I pulled that verse, "He that shall be clean all over needs only to have his feet washed."

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for correcting me... I know in our church and those we fellowshipped with in all my 50 years in the church a never heard it as an ordinance of the church... Not to say that some of the other churches of the PB's and others who participate in this act don't see it as such... What I do know it is not part of the communion service and separate from it... Supper being ended!... To me and my understanding of it, communion is the relationship and fellowship we have with our Lord Savior Jesus Christ... As oft as you do this, do this in remembrance of me... Feet-washing is an example of our humility and servitude in the relationship and fellowship we have to each other in brotherly Christian love in action... Brother Glen

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some PBs do indeed consider it an ordinance and an integral part of the Lord's Supper. It's officially an ordinance for churches of the National Association of Free Will Baptists (and other free will Baptists.) I cannot say if it is honored in practice today among the churches. I had a friend who attended a Free Will church in the 1970s and it was still a regular practice then.

17. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's with the vestments? Is that significant among certain groups of Baptists?

18. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank (and rsr), any idea which group of Primitive Baptists are passionate about calling it an ordinance? I have run across some who are, but most I know will fellowship other PB's of like faith and order who do not practice it.

With the NA of Free Will Baptists it seems to vary by church and location. Although it is taught as a scriptural ordinance, there are some churches that just neglect to practice it. Some of the General Baptists churches hold to feet washing and some do not. Same with United Baptists. All Old Regular Baptist churches hold it as an ordinance. Some might be surprised to know that some Missionary Baptists practice it (usually as an example and not an ordinance), and even a few Southern Baptists (here I am speaking of churches who have continued it as an "old-time" practice rather than more modern churches who have added it as they move toward liturgical practices).
    http://praisegodbarebones.blogspot.com/2008/06/materials-toward-history-of-feet.html

In some churches that practice it the folks give lip service to adhering to the rite, yet when communion and feet washing time comes only about a quarter of the members show up. Of course others are very scrupulous about being sure to practice it.

Thanks.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is a rarity but here is an example of a PB local church that hold to the "ordinance" of feet-washing and that very loudly (upper-case) as an internet tag.

http://www.aberdeenprimitivebaptistchurch.org/Tracts&Articles/WashingSaintsFeet.htm

HankD

20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's more common, I would say, in the Northeast (for example, you will find historical photos of Riverside Church in full 'Reformed' vestments dating back several decades). But some "high" Baptist churches even in the South use them.

But in the South they are most commonly used in African American churches, in my experience. I assume there are historical and cultural reasons for that.