1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Footwashing, Such a Blessing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 6, 2016.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall it ever being presented as an ordinance here in E. Central KY, and I'm familiar with the churches of four surrounding counties. From the church at Lexington:

"9. We believe that baptism and the Lord’s supper are the ordinances of the church established by Jesus Christ and that true believers are the only fit subjects for baptism, immersion being the only proper mode. (Matthew 28:19; Luke 22:19-20; 1 Corinthians 11:24-25)

10. We believe that as our Lord and Savior washed His disciples’ feet, we ought to wash one another’s feet. (John 13:4-17; 1 Timothy 5:10)"

2. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Brethren, even if a man be overtaken in any trespass, ye who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; looking to thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
    2 Bear ye one another`s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. Gal 6

10 well reported of for good works; if she hath brought up children, if she hath used hospitality to strangers, if she hath washed the saints` feet, if she hath relieved the afflicted, if she hath diligently followed every good work. 1 Tim 5

#22 kyredneck, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes the same is true clear across the East Coast to the West Coast... This is taken from Little Zion Primitive Baptist Church in Bellflower California... Note also it is not a test of fellowship... Brother Glen

The following article on Feet Washing is not accepted by all Primitive Baptist churches, and the adoption or rejection of it is not made a basis of fellowship.)
    18. We believe that washing the saints' feet is an example of Jesus Christ to be observed by the church.
    John 13:4-5. He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
    14-15. If I then your Lord and Master, have washed your feet, ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

http://www.aberdeenprimitivebaptistchurch.org/Tracts&Articles/WashingSaintsFeet.htm

HankD

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those inquiring, the stole donned by SBC President Ronnie Floyd and other ministers was created by fashion designer Craig Coates:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must say, these garments are exquisitely beautiful.

HankD

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert, I certainly am no expert on the internal affairs of Primitive associations. I am aware they differ on some details and don't always fellowship with other churches.

Some examples of those who hold it to be an ordinance:

David Pyles, elder of Grace church in Pearl, Miss., whom I understand is a popular speaker among the PB, though he also seems to be a bit divisive. The church's statement of faith holds that
      • "We believe that baptism, and the Lord's supper, and feet washing are ordinances of Jesus Christ and that true believers are the only proper subjects for baptism and that the mode of baptism is immersion in water."
        The Sulphur Springs church at Caledonia, Miss., has a similar statement of faith.

To illustrate how difficult it can be to judge things from the outside, consider the church in Aberdeen, Miss.: the church's statement of faith says there are only two ordinances, but foot washing is an "example." Its pastor, Herb Hatfield, says "I believe the practice of literally washing of the saints’ feet is a New Testament ordinance for Christians of every age," but as a "personal" ordinance.

"Let me point out, that I am not advocating that the washing of the saints’ feet is a church ordinance, but rather a personal ordinance for individual saints to practice. I believe it may be observed in a church setting or in a private setting such as in a home. I believe it would help solve some of the carnal personality conflicts in our churches, if Christians would be willing to gird themselves with a towel, kneel down in front of a brother or sister and literally wash one another’s feet?"

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info. I had assumed they were made for the occasion. I don't think Ronnie Floyd wears a stole or tippet at regular services at his church.

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, brother. I'm sure the African American Baptists I know and whose churches I have attended probably only represent subset in the larger body, but I've never seen any vestments in any of those.

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it can be hard to tell. I don't know elder Pyles personally, but know some folks who do. Though they at Grace call feet washing an ordinance, I am pretty sure they will fellowship with churches that don't practice feet washing. So even the terminology can be tricky. I've never known any, though, among those who practice it, to practice it at any other time that communion. That said, there is almost always an exception to any rule!

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His daddy Elder Sonny Pyles has spoken in our church... I would like to add clarification for some who might visit this site as far as feet-washing is concerned... This is gender separate feet-washing... Even though Mary washed Jesus feet with her tears and dried them with her hair... Men wash Men's feet and Women wash Women's feet... I know we all know this but this is for those visiting who don't... As far as I know there is no exception to this rule... But I have heard of married couples feet-washing anyone knows who practices this?... Brother Glen

#31 tyndale1946, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard him a couple times at the Lexington Church and several of his recorded sermons; he is one very powerful gifted preacher. His preaching directed me down several gratifying tangents in the scriptures that had never occurred to me on my own.

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has Elder Joe Holder ever spoken in your church?... I know he's from Mississippi born there and settled in California and he is a good friend of Elder Sonny... Him and Sonny came in the ministry about the same time and both have been preaching over 50 years... I know Sonny's church is in Graham TX and Holder's church in in Bellflower, CA... Both these preachers are very gifted... I listen to them both online... Been to Joes church never to Sonny's... Joe has a church website and I visit it often... Don't know if Sonny does?... Small Primitive Baptist world... Brother Glen