1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Footwashing

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by deacon jd, Oct 10, 2006.

1. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

Does anyone on the BB attend a church that practices footwashing in a worship service? Here in North Georgia there are still several churches that do. I was just curious if it was a local thing or not.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't have much time right now but yes we practice footwashing once a year it is considered as part of the "communion". It is one of our "articles of faith" and we intend to keep it up until the Lord comes again. :)

3. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

Brother Bob, I noticed in your profile that you are an old fashioned regular Baptist, and I found that interesting. Is footwashing a part of being a Regular Baptist, and what is different about your beliefs and most other Baptists?Oh and how many "articles of faith" does your church have, our church has eighteen, but footwashing is not one of them.

#3 deacon jd, Oct 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2006
  4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We have 16 articles of faith and yes foot washing is one of them and is to be kept up until the Lord comes back.

5. DiscipleOfIAm

DiscipleOfIAm New Member

I know of the Church of the United Brethen in Christ USA (the part of UBC that did not join the Methodists) has this in their statement as well. I have attended the local church, much like a Baptist church, but this one locally does not practice it.

I have heard of another Baptist church in the area that used to do it, but no longer does. Not sure which denomination of Baptist they are. They are now "non-denominational".

So, I do not think it is a regional thing. I think it is a declining practice due to people not being comfortable with it or not knowing enough about it.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Beleive it or not in all my studies - I don't really know much about it other than what the bible states about Jesus and the disciples. I haven't found it anywhere else in the scriptures.

But for me- I don't really understand how it would be put into practice within the church. Maybe one on one but even then it was more of an illistration of humility and (as far as I can remember) not given specifically as an ordinance to the CHURCH.

Give a dude some enlightenment? :praying:

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

John, chapter 13
    "13": Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

"14": If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

"15": For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

"16": Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

"17": If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

How much plainer can it be.

1 Timothy, chapter 5
    "10": Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

Luk 7:44And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped [them] with the hairs of her head.

:flower:

Many of the Old Baptist washed feet if not all.

[Feet washing or foot washingis a religious rite observed as an ordinance by several Christian denominations. The name, and even the spelling, of this practice is not consistently established, being variously known as feet washing, foot washing, feetwashing, footwashing, washing the saints' feet, washing of feet, pedilavium, and mandatum.
    The foot-washing was an example, a pattern. Many groups throughout church history have practiced literal foot-washing as a church ordinance. However, present culture in many lands does not call for the need to wash dust from the feet of one's guests. Whereas the Lord's Supper was practiced by the early church, it apparently did not practice foot-washing as an ordinance in church gatherings. This passage, in Chapter 13 of the Gospel of John, emphasizes inner humility, not a physical rite.
    //

The root of this practice appears to be found in the hospitality customs of ancient civilizations, especially where sandals were the chief footwear. A host would provide water for guests to wash their feet, serve the guests by washing their feet, or even provide a servant to wash the feet of the guests. This is mentioned in several places in the Old Testament of the Bible (e.g. Genesis 18:4; 19:2; 24:32; 43:24; I Samuel 25:41; et al.), as well as other religious and historical documents. A typical Eastern host might bow, greet, and kiss his guest, then offer water to wash his feet. Though the wearing of sandals might necessitate washing the feet, the water was also offered as a courtesy even when shoes were worn.

#8 Brother Bob, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2006
  8. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I don't know about anybody else but I'm ready for a footwashing. Thanks for your input Brother Bob.

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There absolutely is nothing in the church like it. You are showing the deepest humility towards your brethren you could possible show and for that you will rejoice.
    Happy are ye if you know these things if ye do them.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

I appreciate it Bro. Bob

That was also the reason I asked about how it can be done in a cogregational setting.

Should everyone partispate or only beleivers or only members...

I also note that: Whereas the Lord's Supper was practiced by the early church, it apparently did not practice foot-washing as an ordinance in church gatherings. Not that it can't be but that was one reason I was asking.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It is for members only and apparently part of the early church did practice it. After the taking of the communion we then begin to wash feet. The brothers wash the brothers feet and the sisters the sisters. The Deacons serve the brothers with pans, water and towel and the sisters the sisters. After all have washed someone's feet and had theirs washed the Moderator inquires if all have and then as in the scriptures we sing a song and go out while singing.

#12 Brother Bob, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would have to be VERY humble to wash my feet.:laugh:

:flower: (flower wilting)

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

Now that would be quite humbling if you can still stand after all the retching.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish I had learned more of the Bible when I was a kid... such as, when told to take a bath, I could have shot back John 13:10-- "He who shall be clean needs only to have his feet washed to be completely clean."

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

:laugh: LOL :laugh:

I laughed so hard on that one, thanks!