1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Better or Worse? - "Independent Baptist Merger"

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Jul 22, 2003.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Better or Worse, What is your perspective? - "Independent Baptist Merger"

www.tribune.org/Archives/Tribune/2003/May/MayPg17.shtml
    www.tribune.org/Archives/Tribune/2003/JuneJuly/JuneJulyPg4.shtml

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first hurdle will be picking a name; with all the various Baptist groups and "nongroups," the supply of less-than-12-letter names must be running short.

OK. I'll shut up.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is worth noting that the groups mentioned the BBFI, the WBF and the SBF are all descended from folks who separated from the Southern Baptist convention. The differences being primarily in their initial leadership. As these groups are now into their third if not fourth generation, it is not surprising or a "bad" thing for these folks to smooth over "their" differences.

It would be surprising to see the GARBC or FBFI to get organicly involved with these folks. This as the GARBC and FBFI are descended from the Northern Baptist Convention. Please notice I wrote "organicly". At least in the FBFI, there is a certain amount of cross pollination in the area of missionary support. In other words, you will find FBFI churches supporting BIMI missionaries.

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From where I sit as an outsider, it's hard to see much difference between these various "independent" Baptist fellowships. It seems that much of the impetus of their origins would be personal and political. Be that as it may, according to the Plains Baptist Challenger, Raymond Barber & the IBFI oppose the merger. Plains Baptist Challenger June 2003
    The resolution found at the link above indicates issues the IBFI feels make a merger impossible.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Plains Baptist Challenger is opposed to something!!!! What a shock.
    These groups are all basically the same, it makes sense that they join together.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Squire has this one nailed. These groups all split/splintered from the Southern Baptists and would be better served joining back together.

Egos are fragile. Whenever we talk "merger", we are talking about only ONE president, ONE board. Right now they have 3+ so everyone can have a job or a position.

If they merge into one, we'll probably have a surplus of bogus "doctors" who will need to find publicity and glory in something else. Mission agencies will multiply; so will tiny so-called colleges.

This started as personality conflicts and I don't see that changing any time soon.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    go2church, the Plains Baptist Challenger may be opposed to everything, but the point of my post was to show that the IBFI (to which the PBC is also opposed) is not in favor of the merger. The resolution lists THEIR reasons. The Challenger only happened to be where I found the report available online.

8. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Considering that the very nature of INDEPENDENT Fundamental Baptist churches is to not be part of any organized leadership outside of the autonomy and authority of the local church. I don't see this really happening. I'm sure my church won't be part of it.

9. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Calling this a "merger" is coming to an inappropriate conclusion. This is a preliminary effort to find some grounds for cooperation instead of competing and or conflict.

Just because our church may cooperate with another for a project (youth camp, etc.) does not mean we are merging. Same with these fellowships.

Will a merger or some other closer format eventually develop? God only knows.

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The organizations mentioned are set up as fellowships. All this "merger" means is that a given area won't have competeing BBFI, WBF, SBF regional meetings. Nor will there be three annual meetings of men who, more or less, are on the same page on most matters.

11. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

All you Independent Baptists can come on home to the SBC if you want to. You've been too long in the far country as it is.
    :D

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardsheller, men like Dr. Bob and I do not have a lick of SBC DNA in us. So, we would not be coming "home" if we affiliated with the SBC. We are from the northern side of the Triennial Convention breakup.

13. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Squire,

So sorry you got started out on the wrong side of the Triennial Convention. :D

14. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardsheller, I really don't want to go into that dust-up. The issues then at hand were real ones and not to be taken lightly even in retrospect. One consequence of the breakup was we northern Baptists did not form a full fledged convention until early in the next century.

15. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

The issues today are real ones also and the most "real" one is that most Independent Baptists have nothing good to say about us Southern Baptists and vice versa.

16. Sean Van Pelt

Sean Van Pelt New Member

All you Independent Baptists can come on home to the SBC if you want to. You've been too long in the far country as it is.
    :D
    </font>[/QUOTE]

17. Sean Van Pelt

Sean Van Pelt New Member

Okay Hardsheller maybe if some of these SBC preachers would quit preaching and teaching with the so called "new" King James Bible such as for example Charles Stanley and Adrian Rogers you just might get your membership up. I happen to be an Independant Fundamentalist Baptist but, I have SBC friends who tell me other reasons as to why they left the SBC. The compromise of removing the word "Baptist" from their church signs because it might offend the heathen world or scare folks away. and, just the general loss of their baptist heritage, such as one time preachers who once knew how to bang the pulpit and with leather lungs preach against sin. Now, like I said before I'm not with the SBC and all of this is hear say.I don't have anything against the SBC let them go their way I'm just not going that way that's all.

18. Sean Van Pelt

Sean Van Pelt New Member

And to add to my last post.....I know several SBC friends who were furious when W.A. Criswell had an audiance with the Pope and when Jack Van Impe implied that the Pope was a good Christian. See they don't think that the Pope is a good Christian but rather they believe that he's the Vicar of Hell. I understand that those comments seem to be cold hearted but, that's the feed back I'm getting from ex-Southern Baptists.

19. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardsheller: leaving aside such matters as were settled at Appomattox Courthouse. We, Northerners went on to organize ourselves into bodies that were task orientated in their focus. E.g multiple "the Northern Baptist...." (Foriegn and Home Missionary Society, Bible Society, ect.) We did not want a unitary type of organization ala the SBC and were quite content with a more federative type of situation. I offer for you perusal Francis Wayland's book Notes on the Principles and Practices of Baptist Churchs c. 1856. Brother Wayland was a leading figure in the Northern Baptist movement in his day. Mind you all of these matters occured years before men like J. Frank Norris were even in knee britches much less long pants.