1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For calvinists: Has God loved every man who ever existed?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 5, 2007.

?
  1. yes

47.4%
  2. no

42.1%
  3. I don't know

2.6%
  4. other: please state

7.9%
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Talk about a strawman!

If I give my son a choice on two movies to see, I'm paying for the ticket, I'm driving him there, how exactly is he sovereign in my decision to allow him to go to the movies, how he got there, and how the movie was payed for? Plenty of times in Scripture God displays His sovereignty over the end result without displaying it through the means. One example: King Hezekiah (sp) was told by God he was going to die. Was He only kidding or telling a half truth in stating Hezekiah was going to die when AFTER listening to Hezekiah's prayer He granted another 15 years? Was Hezekiah sovereign over God in that instance, since God listened to his prayer and granted what He prayed for? God is NOT less sovereign for granting the ability to choose Christ or reject Him!

#41 webdog, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  2. larryjf

larryjf New Member

For the record, that wasn't the question.
    I don't think that anybody denied that God loves the world. What is being denied by some is that He indiscriminately loves every human being.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The one other did elaborate - see post 21. He believes God loves everyone, just not in the same way.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, I missed it.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since I started the poll, I know I didn't ask if He indiscriminately loves every human being. I asked has God loved EVERY man who ever existed. One camp states God hated Esau from before birth.

6. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Then you shouldn't have stated that about half of the Calvinists don't believe that "God so loved the world"...that wasn't the posted question. You are trying to make it look like those Calvinists don't believe the Bible by quoting a Bible verse that wasn't in the poll question. If you had a poll that said "does God love the world" you probably would have received different answers.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, if you believe God loves humans located on some other planet besides the world, you may have a point. If I would have labeled it "does God love the world" there would be mass hysteria on what the "world" means.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your accusation is with out proof and is false.
    I disagree that you could know what God knows. God is God the most high and knows what He wants to know and not necessarily what you think He knows. His Knowledge is not Sovereign over Him. By the way if He knows all, He also knows of your false accusations.

This verse says that Hell wasn't made for man but for Satan and his angles and Christ tells those on His left to leave Him and go to Hell which they them selves chose before they ever came into His presence.
    These explain why there destiny is hell fire which they chose. If Christ was sending them there himself and they had no choice Christ would have told them to go there with out explaining why. What you fail to see here is the difference between justice and your own unprovable extreme ideas of the doctrines of Christ. If man is predestined to hell he has a legitimate excuse that a just God would have to consider.
    MB

9. jellico25w

jellico25w New Member

Where in the world did you get that out of my reply? If God wills them to be saved if He has chosen you, you will be saved screaming,dragging your feet, or willingly.1Pe:1:2: Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.Eph:1:4: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:Ti:1:2: In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;Eph:1:5: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will. Our free will is to respond the way He already knows we will. According to God, Jeremiah did not have free will:Jer:1:5: Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. So before you were formed, He(God) knew your appointed place. Heaven or Hell. You however, did not until you accepted His offer of eternal life by faith, through His Grace.( which He knew you would)

#49 jellico25w, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If he chooses the movie, then you were not sovereign over that particular choice. You can't have it both ways. You restricted the choice to 2 movies, but in the end, he was sovereign over which of the 2.

The interesting thing about your analogy is that it's nothing like the choice you claim God gives us. You limited his choice to two movies of YOUR choosing, presumably both GOOD choices.

I'm not going to get into the issue about Hezekia, etc., because I know in advance there's no way you're going to see it any other way. Let's save us both the stress.

11. larryjf

larryjf New Member

The point is that we do look at the context of Jn 3:16 differently. So no, i did not answer any questions about God loving the world, i answered the question in the poll. Your post about not agreeing that "God loves the world" is simply fallacious. Nobody disagreed with that, only with your interpretation of it.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Simple: For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not persih but have verlasting life.

Too many attmept to tell God who the "world" is and isn't.:BangHead:

They will also try to tell God who "every man" is and isn't.:tonofbricks:

13. larryjf

larryjf New Member

"the world" is used in the same sense as in verse 17 bro., context is part of the text.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

OK, define "whosoever" in the confines of the world. Then explain how your view determines that God respects men's persons in that He "hates" men before they are created and then explain why He even creates them just to simply allow them no chance for salvation and becomes the tyrant you make him out to be for sending them to hell?

My God is not a tyrant. He's the Saviour for all men.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

No harm meant, I was just playing off your name, "Webdog," so that's why I mentioned "bark." Sorry, if I didn't convey it properly. :thumbs:

16. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Whosoever believes means whosoever belives. That verse doesn't even address the how of faith, simply that those who believe will be saved. So yes, Christ died for those who would believe, but as to who will believe...the elect (Mk 13:27; Rom 9:11; Rom 11:7).

Verses have already been posted that shows God's hatred for people before they were born.

He creates them for Hell. I am not under the misconception that the point to everything is the comfort of mankind. The point is God's glory. And He is glorified in His justice through those souls that will burn in Hell. He is also glorified more in His mercy for the elect when it is seen what punishment they deserve but were spared from.

What about the fact that God knows the choice individuals will make before they make it...either way, God knows someones destiny before they are created. Unless you don't think God is all-knowing.

My God is not a tyrant either, but He certainly is sovereign.

17. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

In your recent post in that other thread, you misunderstand what I mean in saying God loves everyone. He does, but not as He loves the elect.

18. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yes, God loves everyone with a benevolent love that provides them with temporal blessings.

From Matthew 6:
    These verses equate the temporal blessings of sunshine and rain which fall indiscriminately on those who are God's evil and unjust enemies with God's love for his enemies. It is not redemptive love, but scripture calls it love, so I do, too.

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen. And dead theologians have called it common and special grace.

20. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Matthew 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
    44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
    45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Would Christ ask us to do something He doesn't or wouldn't do Himself?