1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For calvinists: Has God loved every man who ever existed?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 5, 2007.

?
  1. yes

47.4%
  2. no

42.1%
  3. I don't know

2.6%
  4. other: please state

7.9%
  1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I thought about this awhile before I responded and see that Russell 55 and I were thinking along the same lines.

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

http://www.theopedia.com/Open_theism
    Open Theists further believe that this would imply that God does not know the future exhaustively. Proponents affirm that God is omniscient, but deny that this means that God knows everything that will happen.

We have God's Word to tell us what God wants us to know about Him.
    How can one argue with your logic? I don't even want to.

My answer to your assertion that God does not send anyone to hell? You are the one who said it. I was simply supplying the verse of scripture that says Jesus commanded them to go to hell. If you have a problem with what Jesus says..... that is your problem.

Again, your logic and not exegesis.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Not being a Calvinist I would share a Calvinists view that he sets forth.

Now this Calvinist doesn't specifically say God loves everyone the same, And I do not hold that God loves everyone the same - but God does love all His creation.
    This Calvinists shows the scripture states God DOES desire the salvation of all (every man) and that they would come to a knowledge of truth. So I do not become accused of saying something he does not - I will let he speak:

Spurgeon Sermon: Salvaiton by knowing Truth. EDIT --->(1 Tim 2:3-4)<---
    Does this sound like God hates some and loves others before they ever did good or evil from the authors reasoning. If God 'wishes' knowledge and salvation to and for all mankind, does it stand to reason that God does not hate the non-elect in the sense so often accused of Him.

God loves His elect with a different type of love than He loves the world on the whole (He perfers one over the other). For as the author above states :
    But it was not His will that it be so.

#63 Allan, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  4. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Are you sure that Scripture reference is 2 Tim 2:3-4...
    Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.

It doesn't sound like the desire of saving all men, perhaps it is a different passage?

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, all of Israel was his chosen people by blood but He put her away and surely some will go to hell. I believe John the Baptist called them a generation of vipers.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Thanks Larry. :)

I editted it. It was 1 Tim not 2 Tim.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I think Paul says that not all Israel were chosen of God; God had a remnant within Israel (Rom 9:6-8).

8. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Spurgeon was an excellent preacher, but I have questioned many times his skills as an exegete. While I admire his desire to be biblical, I find that his answer is contrived, kinda playing both sides of the fence, not consistently free-will or Calvinist. It is impossible to embrace limited atonement, which Spurgeon does, and then make a statement such as "God wishes all men to be saved", and then plunge into some explanation of how God can wish all men to be saved but not save them, all while believing in limited atonement.

There are many Calvinists who believe as Spurgeon does, but they definitely aren't consistent.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If this is Calvinism, then I am one.

I need to read some Spurgeon sermons.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Even "free willers" (I totally dislike that name) believe in election.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ol' Spurgeon believed in unconditional election and not conditional election.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

True but the main reason for that is Spurgeon will not allow his theology to dictate scripture but that scriptures dictates his theology as he understands them.

I find it amusing when Calvinist call him a mighty preacher and defender of the Calvinist view and then turn around and bite their tale when he is quoted saying something that stands in stark contrast to their theology (notice I didn't say scripture).

But then Spurgeon himself is noted saying that there were Calvinists of his day that called him a mongrel Calvinist. LOL.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Was he a Calvinist?

Sorry, TC. I don't know the difference in those terms. :eek:

Could you explain?

14. rmered

rmered New Member

Unconditional Election means that God chose all who would be saved not based on anything outside his own will.

Conditional Election says that God looked forward into the future and foresaw who would believe and chose them.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Yes, Spurgeon was a classic, convinced five-point Calvinist.

2. Unconditional Election means that God chose you with a electing love, irrespective of anything he saw in you or anything you did.

3. While Conditional Election says that God chose you because He knew you would believe and therefore His choice of you--He saw faith in you.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, it turned out that way, I don't know if I understand it completely though, for they were very strict about the blood line. Was it always that way, or after God divorced Israel?

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, but let us also not pretend Ol' Spurgeon didn't believe in mans free will, though not libertarian.

He does state and is noted for it concerning Calvinism and Arminians (using two people as examples - Wesley and Whitefield) toward the close of His
    Defence of Calvinism:
    As you read it Amy you will see he is a staunch Calvinist, but you will also see he does not deny scripture regarding the 'responsibility of Man' also known as 'free-will'

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Even the prophets would speak of a Remnant from time to time (Jer 6:9).

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

No well-bred Calvinist denies human responsibility.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

His choice could not happen without my sovereignty in the first place.
    Wrong. God gives us a choice to believe or not. My analogy was only an analogy, and not meant as a theological lesson.
    What I figured. There is no other way to see it than what Scripture teaches...unless you redefine words and read it through your theological bent.