1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Modern Versions onlyists

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Askjo, Apr 7, 2004.

?
  1. retail

35.7%
  2. peddle

21.4%
  3. huckster

42.9%
  4. adulterate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I have a confession. I am a MVOnlyist.

I don't use a version of scripture nor reference a text... why to be honest, I have never even held a Bible that was not produced 1400 years or more after the God-inspired originals. All of my Bibles are MV's... even the 1611 Anglican product.
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG]

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

None of all questions in this poll, I answer. All of them are almost same defintion. I like Webster's better, it defines more clear. Does not mean that I against KJV. Also, I am not Modern Version onlyist. I never hear anyone called them, 'Modern Versions Onlyist' before. I know many baptists use different verisons, do not mean that they against KJV. I know many of them do read any versions to comparing with KJV while studying at home. So far, I know none of many baptists saying that they against KJV, while use NIV, or NKJV, etc.

My understanding of corrupt means, to destruction, or to twisted something.

Didn't you know that word, 'corrupt' is not in Textus Receptus? In Greek word for corrupt is 'hawking'. I looked at Interlinear Greek-English New Testament by Jay Green. That is classical Greek word from Textus Receptus. I like King James Version word - 'corrupt' better. That does not mean that I against TR. More important that we able to understand English word better in our own language.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a difference in actually corrupting God's word and misusing it. Misuse would be to murder a homosexual because OT Scripture says to execute them, while to corrupt would be to change the Word itself, such as saying in John 3:16, "so that whoever works diligently in My name shall be saved". I believe Paul was referring to the hucksters of his time who carried copies of Scripture & pretended to be vehicles of the Holy Spirit, such as Simon the Sorcerer wanted to be, & who sold "blessings" for money.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

That is very interesting. According to the Greek, it has a few meanings for one word.

For example:

LOVE

1. agape
    2. phileo
    3. storge
    4. eros

Mom and Daddy love their children. Which greek word? Pick one.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda like the KJV, Askjo. With no knowledge of the Greek, how does a reader know exactly WHICH LOVE Jesus was asking Peter about?

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Use Strong's concordance. It is very helpful for you to understand the definition. [​IMG]

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use Strong's concordance. It is very helpful for you to understand the definition. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I have Strong's concordance, & several others, which I use to prove Will Kinney's version-by-version comparisons to be propaganda, among other things. However, my question has to do with where Jesus asks Peter, "Do you LOVE Me?" There's NO distinguishing the degree of love as expressed in the Greek.

Why does it matter? Because more than one KJVO refers to "the Greek" when hollering about the fact that MVs have replaced "thy, thou, thee, ye" with "you, your, yours". (as has English usage in general! This is apparently over the KJVOs' heads.) But again, the KJVO often thinks it's OK to use a double standard.

(Hey, Ed Edwards! Take note!)

8. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The poll shows the most word, "adulterate" on 2 Cor. 2:17.

The word in MVs is to peddle. These MVs advocates prefer "adulterate" instead of "peddle" on this verse than their MVs. Strange!

April 13, 2004.

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Moderator, please close this now. Thanks!