1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For New Believers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gina B, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

"It's shoutin' time in heaven, salvation has been brought down!"

Welcome. If you're a new Christian let us know here in this thread so we can welcome you and answer any questions you might have. [​IMG]

2. Ronald

Ronald New Member

Thank you Gina. I am new here.We at our church are pretty conservative. So there is not much "shoutin" goin on as you call it. Although we inwardly rejoice in the fact that Christ has come and given us the opportunity for salvation and eternal life. Now each of us must carry that cross and not look back. Talk and promises are easy, but living the life of a Christian is truly the Pilgrim's progress.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hello Ronald, and welcome.
    Sorry it took so long to respond, I didn't see any activity on the thread and quit looking!

I'm also glad to see yet another person here from Ohio. I keep telling them here on the BB that soon we will take over the board if this keeps up. :D

If you don't mind telling, what part of Ohio are you from? I'm near Mansfield.

Gina

4. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey to the both of you:

My time in Hawaii is winding down and Ohio is a real possibility for my next base, Wright Patterson, near Dayton to be exact. What can you tell me about Dayton and the surrounding area? Thanks.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I can't tell ya nuttin! [​IMG]
    Move closer to here, I'll tell you a lot.
    Gina

6. J4KC35

J4KC35 New Member

Hello, my name is Jessica, and I'm what you could say a new Christian. I was raised in a Christian family(Catholic), but never truly believed any of it. I never went to church except for Christmas and Easter, and never touched my Bible. For awhile now I told myself there was no GOD, or Jesus, and all of this Christian stuff was bogus. I think part of it may have been because my mother constantly pressured me to believe exactly what she did, and told me if I didn't she raised me wrong.

However, about 3 months ago I suddenly started thinking, "You know I've been through so much in my life, and if there WASN'T a GOD or Jesus, I would NOT be here at all." I've looked into churches around my area, and next Sunday I will begin to go. I've started to read the Bible, and pray, and I'm just so much more of a happier person than I ever have been. I tried my best to explain me starting to believe this all but it really is so much deeper than what I said, and it's too hard to explain.

I do have one question right now, and if someone could answer it I'd really appreciate it.

What are the differences between the King's James Version of the Bible and every other Bible? Don't they all basically say the same thing except some of the words are a bit different? I'm just wondering, thank you.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hi Jessica, and welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your situation! [​IMG]

A number of people believe the King James version is a more trustworthy translation of the Bible into English. They usually say this is so because the KJV is the only one we have now in which that old Testament was translated from something called the Masoretic text, a text believed by many to be the most pure because of its origins.

Other bibles are translated from texts gathered from different sources.

I personally prefer the KJV. I love the language, and I feel most comfortable using it. I'm one of those that do trust the translation more than others.

However, the language can make some verses more difficult to understand. I have other versions that I will pick up and read sometimes if I am unclear on the meaning of a verse, because newer versions use language that is easier to understand.

There are a few versions out there that are translated by people that do not have the knowledge or desire to translate properly. I feel as if they take too much liberty in their interpretation of what verses mean, and this is most apparent in versions such as "The Message".

I hope all this doesn't confuse you. Your best bet is going to be to find a good church in your area and go with the version they use so you're not confused and reading along to different phrasing.

Let us know how your search goes!
    The only link for a Baptist church in your area that I could find was this one: http://www.fsbglendale.org/default.asp
    Sounds big from the number it can seat, but sounds like a friendly little church and I like that!
    There was another one but it doesn't have a link. The building is pictured in with the historical buildings though. :D Neat looking, but can't recommend that one based on a really cool building.. ;)
    Gina

8. J4KC35

J4KC35 New Member

Yes, thank you. I contacted the pastor at that church and I'm going to a class at 10 am this Sunday, and then to church there at 11 am. I passed by it and it's really pretty, and the pastor will be having someone waiting for me to show me to my class.

And thank you for telling me the difference. I'll have to take a look when I go buy myself one tomorrow.

Thanks again!

9. luvnlife33

luvnlife33 New Member

Hello all, I too am a fairly new Christian - I am a toddler... [​IMG] I always say I was a baby for a long time - now I have pulled myself up to the coffee table and taken my first step. God is sooooo good. I only wish that I would have found him a long time ago, but I didn't - I have him now though. For a long time it was hard for me to be obedient (baby) and let go of my old life and start my Christian walk, but I finally did - and wooohoo Glory - life is good. Spread the news - I try - I wasn't raised as anything but a heathen - now spreading the word to my family - they all think I am nuts - but that's okay. God loves me and I him and I will serve him and praise him always.....
    God Bless you,
    -Linda [​IMG]

10. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Welcome J4KC35, and praise God for your salvation. I am not going to get into a version debate here, but I just wanted to let you know that I believe the King James Bible is the inspired, infallible, inerrant word of God and that all you need is pray, the Holy Spirit and sometimes a good dictionary. I don't believe that you need another version to understand another. As a matter of fact, all that does is cast doubt on God's word.

So, with that said, J4KC35, I just wanted to let you know that you can put your complete trust in the King James Bible and you will never go wrong with it.

God bless
    R&R

11. originally posted by RaptureReady
    I believe the King James Bible is the inspired, infallible, inerrant word of God and that all you need is pray, the Holy Spirit and sometimes a good dictionary. I don't believe that you need another version to understand another. As a matter of fact, all that does is cast doubt on God's word. AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

luvnlife, sorry I didn't see your post! Welcome!
    Keep on being a good witness, your family can take it or leave it but we'll pray with you that your witness is effective, ok? [​IMG]
    Gina

13. Rooster

Rooster New Member

I am from an ultra-concervitive curch, as those who have read my post would vouch for that, yet a loud Amen, Halleluya, Glory to God, bring it preacher, is not uncommon in my church, except for women, they are not allowed to raise their hands up in church either, the only churches that I would immangine being quiet would be the liberal churches, not wanting to offend someone.

14. Gib

Gib Active Member

Yes. Let's keep them women in their places. :rolleyes:

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

AF Guy - Dayton gets REAL! cold ... ;o)

16. Pine_Island_Mrs

Pine_Island_Mrs New Member

To J4: For most of my christian life I was a KJV only person. After being backslidden and rededicated a couple of years ago I have since some to believe that God blesses and uses any Bible that presents Christ crucified and risen. The most important thing is to pray for understanding. The Holy Spirit will teach you personally. Right now, I'm using NIV and I love it. It's still very close to KJV but the language isn't as archaic. Some say that it leaves out some referanaces to the blood of Christ but after reviewing those items, I found that the surrounding context stated it or described it. I find nothing lacking. No one should limit themselves to just version of anything, in my opinion. God will teach. There will be a lot a christians in heaven that didn't use just the KJV. Each person must decide what's right for them. God will show you.

17. johnthewaterwell

johnthewaterwell New Member

[snipped - non baptist posting in reserved area for Baptists only]

[ December 14, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Welcome to the forum. [​IMG]
    I briefly reviewed your sites. Cheesy as anything, expected pink bunnies to pop up and blow kisses, but I do admire your desire to share the word. That's always a good thing!
    Gina

19. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Now this is what I like to hear coming from a Christian - consult all versions. Some churches like the one I presently attend almost has a KJV cult mentality, condemning the modern versions and claiming the KJV as the only divinely authorized version.

The NIV I grew up with and would be lost with out it. I find it to be more accurate than the KJV, especially with OT prophecies.

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina...I'm from Springfield, OH and reside in Lawrence County, the southern tip of Ohio.

Charles Meadows is in Milton, WV, about 15 miles from me.

For those interested in Bible versions or KJVOism, there's a forum on this board dealing with that subject.

As others have said, the best thing for new believers is the same as it is for "veteran" believers...READ YOUR BIBLE WHILE PRAYING FOR MORE UNDERSTANDING. One never stops growing as a Christian in this lifetime!