1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For our Catholic friends....

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by D28guy, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Singer

Singer New Member

Scripture urges us to "work out your salvation in fear and trembling"

I'm glad God called me 27 years ago because I responded (worked out my
    salvation in fear and trembling), received Him and now as a result,
    enjoy the fullness of His Spirit and the assurance of heaven.....

.....unless of course God decides to take his gift back at anytime.

1 Antiosas 6:66

"For God changes His mind often and seeks to separate his love from whoever
    fails to acknowledge and join a radical certain church (RCC) "

***Warning.....Scripture may be faked ***

2. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

So, do you believe that Noah and his family saved himself from death and the flood by building that Ark in obedience to God, or that he was saved by God's Grace? Or did God use Noah's faith and work to save Noah by Grace? Just wondering since Scripture says this corresponds to how we are saved in Baptism.

God Bless
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe in baptismal regeneration. The Holy Spirit creates faith in us through God's Grace received by Holy Baptism.

3. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Two problems with your smarty aleck little post:

1. I am not a ROMAN Catholic. Did you git that this time? As many times as I have said it, one must think that your problem is that you need a glass belly button to see clearly.

2. You don't understand the covenant of God AT ALL. Period.

Salvation is a covenant, not a contract. You think it is some kind of binding contract. It is not a contract. Jesus did not say "This is the contract with God in my Blood."

He said it is the covenant in His Blood.

Learn the difference and maybe you will stop making foolish statements.

4. Singer

Singer New Member

Yes, I believe in baptismal regeneration. The Holy Spirit creates faith in
    us through God's Grace received by Holy Baptism.

John, you cite a favorite Catholic doctrine.

How would you describe my faith (that the H.S. also created through
    God's Grace) that I received in spite of my unbaptized state.

It's a matter of: Which comes first; faith or baptism.

It's possible to have faith without baptism and it's possible to have
    baptism without faith. It might be honorable to include baptism after
    faith, but does a lack of baptism negate faith? I'm that experiement
    in progress.........27 years in an unbaptized state has not diminished
    my faith.....it has increased.

5. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

I am well aware what Pelagius taught. If you prefer the narrow definition of Pelagianism, the term still fits since pagans who have not received Word or Sacrament are going to heaven according to the Roman church.

Peter did not tell the people they had to do anything. Holy Baptism is not a human work. It is the work of Holy Spirit whereby we receive baptismal grace not through any merit of our own.

I agree that we can fall from grace by persistent unrepented sin. But, when we confess our sins, He has promised to freely forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Yes, I have studied many Roman Catholic documents (e.g., Council of Trent). Have you read the Augsburg Confession of 1530? I think you would be surprised how many reforms the Roman church has implemented from that document.

6. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Yes, saving faith can exist in the heart of those who have heard the Gospel but have not yet been been baptized. But, not in the heart of those who despise God's command to be baptized.

7. Singer

Singer New Member

Brother Ed:
    You have a guilty complex....as I was not directing that to you.

1. I am not a ROMAN Catholic. Did you git that this time? As many times
    as I have said it, one must think that your problem is that you need a
    glass belly button to see clearly.

Your comment here is humor....same as mine was.

2. You don't understand the covenant of God AT ALL. Period

Explain the "covenant" to me.

8. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Carson Weber,

Just to clarify, not all my previous comments were directed against Roman Catholic doctrines. Some were in reference to the Protestant sects. I'm sorry if I did not made that clear.

9. Singer

Singer New Member

But, not in the heart of those who despise God's command to be
    baptized.

John, is that biblical fact or opinion only ?

10. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 2:38

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:3,4

11. Singer

Singer New Member

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and
    the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:3,4

Like in "Keep the Sabbath Holy " ?

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Catholic Convert.

I said...

And you said...

Your entitled to your opinion.

I'll try to keep that straight.

It was probably a combination of both. And the reformers were trying to do the very same thing. They sought for the wickedness to be cleansed from inside the CC, but they were not succesful, so they obeyed God and rebelled against wicked authority. Many times bloodshed was the result.

I said...

And you said...

Exactly what people have been trying to do with the CC for 2000 years now. And if you are under the yoke of wicked religion masquerading as Gods church, and you flee, it is rebellion.

I said...

And you said...

13. D28guy

D28guy New Member

(continued)

They are not disobeying Gods authority. These believers were being told they must be under the authority of Godless opression and legalism. They were obeying God in rebelling against that.
    Just like the reformers who obeyed God in rebelling against a wicked, corrupt, apostate false church that was trying to keep them in bondage.

I said...

And you said...

God disagrees with you, and the scriptures I have shown you prove it.

Praise the Lord! Your finally getting it! Are you now ready to leave the heretical mess of the CC/EOC and enter the sanity found in true new covenant christianity?

God is not the author of confusion, therefore you have no choice but to flee the CC/EOC. God says one thing, in the scriptures, and those groups say "No! We know better!" We have our traditions!

With us, God says one thing, in the scriptures, and we say..."Yes Lord"

I said...

And you said...

Gods.

The one that does not come with man made traditions, hellish false "authority", and opressive hiearchial bondage

The only hiearchy for the church is the very simple, very localised hiearchies described in the scriptures. Pastors, deacons, bible teachers, etc. And they do not "lord it over" us, but serve us. We respect them, but we heed God 1st. Our pastors are not God. We check out our bible teachers against the scriptures, and if they do not line up, we dont heed the teachers. And any good bible teacher will encourage their people to do that very thing. Its called being a "Berean".

Right. And I have some ocean front property in Idaho I would like to sell you.

Oh, I was a Catholic for 24 years, so I was taught it, until...Praise God!\o/ I was born of the Spirit and entered the world of truth, sanity, and simple new testament life, and worship. Just as described in Gods scriptures.

I said...

And you said...

The difference, of course, is that the cults preach and teach a false gospel, just as the CC and EOC do.

In the evangelical world, we have absolutly no "Truth Police" telling everyone what to believe, yet we...worldwide...are in complete unity regarding the foundational doctrines, or a cult is identified. And again, no spiritual "gestapo" telling us what we must believe, what to avoid, who the cults are, etc.

Why is that?

God.

We do not all agree on periferal doctrines, and of course, God told us in advance it would be that way. And He told us, in Romans 14 and other passages, exactly how to handle it. "Let your brother be fully convinced in his own mind, who are you to judge your brother".

Right. Complete unity regarding error, heresy, and idolatry.

(continued)

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

(continued)

15. D28guy

D28guy New Member

(continued)

I said...

And you said...

And that is all the born again people on earth.

So, if that is true, what did God do...forget?

Was he just getting old and feeble during the book of Acts, and while writing His Epistles? When He completly neglected to start any grand hiearchieal monstrosities, and as He left absolutly no instructions regarding how later generations should build all of that?
    Why would God be so lax? He wasnt that way with the jews, was He? He gave then detailed instructions regarding everything. The dimensions of the buildings, exactly how many candles should be on each candle holder, where, and how, every little detail was to be built. What happened to God for this Hiearcial set up?
    Nothing happened to God. He gave no instructions because the one He did give was all He wanted. The simple, localised pastors, deacons and bible teachers that we find in evangelical fellowships.

I realise that you think that is what is what God is doing. Its what you are told, you must believe it.

lol! Its been flying for 2000 years now! It flew during the book of Acts, it flew during the centuries after that, in spite of efforts to exterminate it, and it has been flying triumphantly worldwide since the 1600's!

In heaven, Jesus Christ is the head of this church.

All the born again people on earth. Its a "temple not made with hands", but its everywhere!

By rubbing shoulders with us at work, in the supermarket, in the factories, in schools, at the barber shop, on TV and radio, on and on and on. Jesus Christ is everywhere, we are everywhere, and the Holy Spirit is everywhere.
    Its a beautiful thing!

I thought we went over that? Pasors, deacons, bible teachers, etc.

lol! Somebody has really sold you a bill of goods. Its been shining brightly for 2000 years now!

I said...

And you said

I'm sure that you really, really believe that it is.

Blessings,

Mike

16. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Sorry about the couple of botched quotes up there.

Mike

17. CatholicConvert

There was much more going on that that. If the Reformers wanted to reform the Church, they should have stayed in a cleaned it up from within. That is what God always did with the Church in the OT.

No, there were a lot of things happening during that time which had to do with political power and the transfering of obscene amounts of wealth by political chicanery. The Reformers didn't want to change that which was wrong...they wanted to introduce heretical doctrines which the Church had never taught in the past 1500 years, and they had to leave the Church to do so.

18. CatholicConvert

Singer --

Let's let the Bible define a covenant:

Eze 16:8 Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine.

It is a relationship It is when two people come together in the unity of love. It is when two become "one flesh". It is best shown by that which the Puritans referred to as "the covenant of marriage." It is union. If you read the whole chapter of Ezekial 16 you will see this being beautifully described.

A contract, on the other hand, is the exchanging of goods and services. No love, no unity, no "one flesh" relationship.

If you wish a very crude comparison, if you go down to 3rd and McClay streets in Harrisburg at midnight, you can find a woman who will make a contract with you. You have something she wants (money) and she has something you want (sin). The deal is transacted without love at all. You give her what she wants - she gives you what you want. THAT is a contract. Cold, impersonal, uncaring.

A covenant is the when two people come together in love. They unite as one, and this union is so personal that many times, in 9 months, they have to give a name to that "one flesh" union. They come together because it is an expression of the love and union of wills which they share. The physical expresses the spiritual, it is an extension of the spiritual.

The description of God's salvation plan as presented by Protestants, and especially Calvinists, reduces God to one who is merely making a business transaction. Think of how cold it is that God chooses to "save" some and to "reprobate" others. There is nothing of love or desire for familial unity in that. Very impersonal, and not a "god" I would wish to worship. Being that impersonal, He might turn on me in a New York City second.

But in the covenant, we are described as "the Bride of Christ". We are described as "beloved" not as property to be bought. God sees union with us through Christ, and the Eucharist is that peak of that union experience here on earth, an experience which points beyond itself to the heavenly reality of the eternal union in love that all the faithful will enjoy one day.

A covenant can be broken. The relationship can be destroyed by one party falling "out of love" with the other. This usually happens because the wills of the two do not meet together in unity. There is tension as one pulls one way and the other resists. This is what sin is. God wishes us to do His will out of love. We wish to do our own will. That sin fractures the relationship. Our covenantal relationship is broken. And if we really get out of bounds, it is severed completely. We are no longer "one flesh" with our Beloved because we desire and have pursued our own will instead of His.

Scott Hahn's work on the covenant really gives the best overall explanations I have ever heard. A FATHER WHO KEEPS HIS PROMISE is a good read. THE COVENANTAL KINGDOM is another. I think you could probably find them online.

Brother Ed

19. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Martin Luther was excommunicated by the Pope less than three years after posting his 95 theses on the abuse of indulgences in 1517.

From the Augsburg Confession, 1530, Nothing has been received on our part against Scripture or the Church Catholic. For it is manifest that we have taken most diligent care that no new and ungodly doctrine should creep into our churches.

It was the Evangelical Lutheran Church that preserved the Apostolic doctrine after heretical Rome rejected a return to the teachings of the Church Catholic. Attend a Confessional Lutheran church and you will hear creeds, liturgy, and hymns that date from the earliest times of the Apostolic church. "Falsely are our churches accused of abolishing the Mass; for the Mass is retained among us, and celebrated with the highest reverence. Nearly all the usual ceremonies are also preserved ." Augsburg Confession

Attend a Roman Catholic church and you will see that many of the reforms Luther advocated nearly 500 years ago have finally been implemented. But, unfortunately, changes were also made that show profound disrespect for the Mass. For example, women are allowed to distribute the Blood of Christ contrary to scripture and the Apostolic doctrine.

Confessional Lutherans require that all stewards of the mysteries be men. But Lutherans are considered the innovators!

20. Singer

Singer New Member

Brother Ed,

Thanks for your thorough description of what you deem a covenant.

It seems to me to be impersonal to be bound to God by a system of ''things to do''
    as the Catholic system is.....instead of based on love alone. God is love, we are
    to love and we are told the new covenant is to "love God with all they heart, soul
    and mind and our neighbors as thyself''.

Would God put away someone who came to Him in love which is the basis of receiving
    the Holy Spirit?

On the other hand, anyone could force themselves to Mass, to church, to confession,
    to emblem partaking, to baptism, to " repeating after me " and still be ''cold'' unto
    the Gospel and the Lord.

I see it everyday in Catholics around me. I see it in Protestants and even in some of us
    who are unchurched. It's simply a lack of "come unto me ye who labor and are heavy
    laden and I will give you rest" (Jesus' words). I've complied with that and call it a
    contract or call it a covenant....it works ! Outside of that method of pleasing God, our
    ramblings, doings and chants might just be empty sounding brass.