1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For our resident Baptist history

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Squire Robertsson, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    gurus: When did the Northern Baptist Home Mission(s)(ary) Society become the American Baptist HMS? I am trying to research a point of my home church's history. Regretfuly, the 1911-1912 entries in her business meeting minutes are not clear. They simply mention a C.W. Moody of the Home Missionary Society in attendence without any geographical designation of the HMS (North, South, or American).

I thought the Northern Bapt. Convention didn't change over to the American Bapt.... until the late '40s.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
    Keith

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: The Squire ]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From 1845 when the split occurred over slavery within the mission boards, there was NO NATIONAL ORGANIZATION for Baptists of the North. Until 1907 the congregations were joined only in local and state associations, and were served by national missionary organizations.

1907-1950 the Northern Baptist Convention existed, to which churches on that local and state level may/may not be affiliated.

1950-1972 this organization was known as the American Baptist Convention. Since 1972 it is known as the American Baptist Churches.

It presently has about 6000 congregations associated with the National Organization.

Answer to question? Don't know, but since the name "American" was not adopted until 1950, I would assume . . .

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Dictionary of Baptists in America (Bill J. Leonard, editor), the American Baptist Home Mission Society was formed "At an adjourned session of the national Triennial Convention at New York in 1832...(p. 24)" Could it be that is was just loosely and unofficially called the Northern Baptist Home Mission Society during the "Northern Baptist" years?

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Vaughn wrote <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>the American Baptist Home Mission Society was formed "At an adjourned session of the national Triennial Convention at New York in 1832...(p. 24)" Could it be that is was just loosely and unofficially called the Northern Baptist Home Mission Society during the "Northern Baptist" years?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sounds about right. The latest reference to the situation did mention the American Baptist Home Mission Society. I just wanted to be sure of the name. We are writing up a 120th anniversary history of our church. So, we are going through the references with a fine tooth comb. Cross checking the cross check, as it were.

Thanks for your help,
    Keith [​IMG]