1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For the Calvinists: What are Key Points of Calvin's Theology beyond TULIP?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ed B, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

:rolleyes:

God is the primary source/agent of the Arminian salvation process.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is amazing when we are not around how others will say things that are credited to us that we never said.

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

WHO then actually saves us though?

God deciding to save us, or us be freely deciding to accept jesus and get saved?

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (munch, munch) Actually, it won't require any work at all.

It's as clear as a buttonhook in the well water. You said God doesn't change a man's heart; He coerces him to do what he has no desire to do. And don't try to say you only meant God doesn't coerce "a profession." Your Jonah example was an example of how God works to convert a man.

You absolutely contradict yourself at every turn.

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

did Moses have the desire from the get go to be the hebrew deliverer? Gideon? Elijah always had his heart set same way as Gods?

Think bible FULL of examples of the Lord having to melt and mold/move herats and mindset of His chosen servants to see things the right way!

6. Skandelon

Yes.........

7. Skandelon

I hear munching, is that you eating pop corn or your brain engaging? ;)

Incorrect. I said, and I quote verbatim (something you should try), "I think it is a mistake to presume God is somehow inwardly manipulating the nature and desires of man to casually determine their choices. He could, no doubt, but in scripture He just doesn't work that way."

And again, I actually said, and I QUOTE, "With Jonah, did God work internally to supernaturally change Jonah's nature and desires so as to make him want to preach in Ninevah? No. He used 'normative' or 'outward' means so as to allow him to respond and be convinced to do what otherwise he didn't want to do."

If anyone of us believes in divine coercion, it would be you.

Actually, it was an example of how God persuades men to accomplish his purposes in bringing truth to the world; and to show that he doesn't use effectual inward means, but resistible outward means. AND to show that his unique usage of these outward means (big fish/blinding light etc) is for his divinely appointed messengers, not those who hear their message.

Only the strawmen in your mind are contradicting each other, Aaron. It might help if you use my actual words instead of putting words in my mouth at every turn.

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Well, its going to be either divine Election, faith, salavation OR

faith, salvation election!

its going to be God electing us based upon NOTHING but Hios own Will or based upon us cooperating with Him!

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charlie. Dude. The issue is you think the carnal mind can be reformed by outward manipulation. The Scriptures say otherwise.

10. Skandelon

Outward means (big fish, blinding lights, gospel, envy, signs etc) affect us inwardly too, Dude.

Jesus said, "I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town. 13 "Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. 14 But it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment than for you."

Clearly Jesus believed and taught that signs would have lead to repentance. Why don't you? Do you disagree with Jesus' assessment and think that Tyre and Sidon would NOT have repented even if those same miracles had been performed there? Why do you disagree with Jesus on this point, Aaron?

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

was jesus making a "fact statement" here, or was he using that to illustarte a point here? that they had the messiah in their midst and were refusing to heed and obey Him?

12. Skandelon

Yes....... I don't think Jesus would lie to make his point, do you?