1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by GISMYS15, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browner

Browner Member

“I dwell in the high and holy place with him
    who has a contrite and humble spirit”.

I see this as an example of
    those whom God elects to live with Him in eternity.

The qvestion is whether God elects those whom:
    -- He created to be such and so
    -- developed such attributes on their own
    -- He transforms into such people

Re: the possibility of the transformative option, please do not forget
    that dese peoples must co-operate with the precious Holy Spirit
    whilst they become such people ... We gots no robots here, hear?

#41 Browner, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9:11 and Deut 7:7 say that you're wrong. His choosing is not because of anything we've done.

Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand.

It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples,​

• Like Like x 1
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Amen!... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
  4. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had never known joy until I knew that I was chosen for nothing good I had done, and I didn't come to understand that until over 20 years a Christian. I know know that you are not really loved until you are loved, "just because". Here's what I mean.

If your wife asks, "Why do you love me?", and you answer, "you're beautiful; you're smart. . ." She will immediately reply, or at least think, what if I lose my looks? What happens when my brain doesn't work as well? Will you love me then??? Even though it sounds like circular reasoning, at the end of the day, you must tell her, "I love you because I love you".

This is the love that God has for us. This is what makes a heart leap and brings a peace unshakable, and yes, this is the love that fuels our obedience. "We love because He first loved us". Conditional love is not love. Not a love that is of any good to us because we can't fulfill the conditions; however, there is One who did.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Browner

Browner Member

I'd love to believe that.
    SNIP He chose some persons for some reason!
    I have merely tried to find Scripture that indicates the answer.
    Your turn.

#45 Browner, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
  6. JohnDBaptiste

JohnDBaptiste Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Begging the pardon of all who hold Calvinism OR Arminianism dear...
    There appears to be at least one other alternative to both (which are typically argued as being the only alternatives). And I only posit it for your consideration. I believe it is true but I am not going to debate and argue the point until everyone sees it this way. Okay? O O

I find that when it comes to such things like the will of God or foreknowledge of God or the sovereignty of God versus anything (including the will of man, knowledge of man, or sovereignty of man) it is best to

• consider the abilities of God (omniscience, omnipotence)
    • sprinkled in with the love of God for his Son Jesus and for those of us who love Jesus
    • that he is willing to grant humankind a limited amount of sovereignty (within his sovereignty)
    • and to make salvation available to all†

it is available to all (1Timothy 4:10 / 1 John 2:2) but it is activated only by the individual's faith in Christ Jesus (John 3:16-18) so all are not simply universally saved but all humans have the potential to be saved... which apparently must needs be; to be able to offer to save any he had to offer to save all.

Matthew 22:14 (AV)
    14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Even with omniscience and omnipotence there apparently are restrictions or steps taken in the progression of God's plan. Either that or he could have wiped the slate clean in the Garden of Eden and started over (or better yet abandoned project humankind), but he did not.

Not to dance a jig about it, but even God has limitations (self-imposed mostly) with some attributed to his eternal character. He cannot lie. He cannot be faithless. Etc. If you think about it, God began limiting himself when he created anything to exist besides himself. God was no longer the only thing in existence.

To answer any who might be curious... I do believe God the Father knows beforehand who would and would not believe in Jesus Christ. PERHAPS for purposes of dealing with temporal beings like men and angels God the Word and God the Spirit emptied themselves of this extent of foreknowledge (Matthew 24:36, Acts 1:7, 1 Corinthians 2:10† ).

Why would the Spirit need to search the mind of God (the Father) if he were as omniscient as the Father?

I say "PERHAPS" because my conclusions in this matter may not even be close to reality. It just seems to make sense to me. And Philippians 2 speaks of Jesus emptying himself to become a man (while continuing to be God [the Word] in his Spirit).

But I believe the scriptures clearly teach that according to God's plan and abilities salvation is offered to all mankind, is attained only by those humans who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, is a free choice (which God went to all the trouble of history itself to provide for and protect our ability to choose), and the conclusion of each and every choice is no surprise to God who knew before the foundation of the world who would believe and who would not.

If we can't get our heads around this at points, it means there are apparently some things one must be omniscient to be able to understand.

7. Browner

Browner Member

John D,

IMO, it is more than mere believing in Jesus and His gospel.

For example, Jesus said several times:
    If you love me, you will obey My commands.
    Anyone going to heaven who does not love Jesus?

For example, Paul explained/warned in Romans 6:
    Choose to be a slave of ...
    obedience >> righteousness >> holiness >> eternal life

Satan is "the god/ruler of this world/age".
    Satan "deceives the whole world".
    Satan is "a liar and the father of it".

I'm here to warn you that Satan has deceived the
    churches into believing several false doctrines!

For example ... the false pre-trib rapture doctrine.
    You will NOT be raptured out of any persecution,
    or tribulation, or pressure to take the mark of the beast.

But, God's special overcoming remnant will be raptured
    to avoid God's wrath at the last trumpet on the last day.

#47 Browner, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  8. Browner

Browner Member

sorry, error

#48 Browner, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.