1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For The Teens on the Forum

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Smellin Coffee, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Smellin Coffee

Smellin Coffee New Member

Our church is in the process of hiring a full-time youth pastor. I know what we adults expect from a youth pastor (family-wise, doctrine-wise, spiritual-wise, etc). What do you as teenagers expect from a youth pastor? What do you like about the youth pastor(s) or leader(s) that you have had? What didn't you like? If you could tell a new youth pastor anything about teenagers, what would you tell him?

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Though I haven't been part of a youth group in a while (and I was only part of one for a short while), I have to say passion for the job and a passion for youth is a #1 must. Good humor is a BIG plus, and a youth pastor that can get down to "our level". In other words, one that does not carry himself to be above us, but one of us, the only disctinction is that he is our leader.

UNP
    Adam

3. Matticus

Matticus New Member

The big big thing, in my mind, that has not been mentionned is this: a youth pastor has to be very in touch with youth culture. If a youth pastor does not understand youth culture, then why would he/she be pastoring youth? Understanding of the people you are pastoring is very important. They also need to be approachable. If you have a problem, it is best if you are comfortable enough with the group and the pastor dude to share it with someone.

4. UnashamedYouth

UnashamedYouth New Member

one that understand youth group does not mean = PARTY AT MY HOUSE EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT! I think a youth pastor should have to know when to say "ok enough fun, lets get into God's word"

also someone who is in tune with the local schools... to know what is scheduled when. My dad is our youth pastor, and so it's easy for him to know when the big games are LOL but it really helps him get involved with everyone.

Also... someone who has a lot of neat hobbies. My dad as a huge range of interest... from hunting to fishing to carpentry to figure skating he can reach all sorts of different levels because of that...

Dad became the youth pastor of our church when he was about 2 years old in the Lord... so he's really grown up with us LOL and it's really neat to see just how he's reached so many

though the pastor's son who just joined us is making us all feel like he needs a good spanking... and Dad's just about ready to give it to him LOL...

5. miked

miked Guest

Youth pastoring is to me one of the greatest ministries in the world. I was a youth minister of and on for 4 years. I am a high school literature teacher now.

The reason the youth minister is so important is because they are ministering and teaching to the future of our churches and America.

Herein lies the struggle for alot of youth ministers. If a youth minister is really in touch with youth culture, then usually (not all the time)the adults are offended b/c to them he is being like the world.

I believe to many times adults of the church want a man/ woman to come in and teach their youth what is right and wrong, and this is needed. A youth minister needs to able to teach the word of God. This needs to be done in an applicable and real way.

I would also say though, a youth minister must train youth to think for themselves, this is difficult. Churches dont need robots who have input of sermon and output what their pastor or youth minister says. We need thinking individuals.

I also believe that youth ministers (as well as ministers) need to be real and tell the truth. The fact of the matter is that young people today are smart and in a lot of ways deep thinkers, though the teenage movies of our day do not portray that..lol. Young people know all the cliches and jargon but they want something that is real and true. Telling truth is tough.

6. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Amen, Mike [​IMG] I agree whole-heartedly :D

Teens need to be told truth. You can't beat around the bush talking about truth. A youth minister needs to be willing to speak the truth, not "paint it up all pretty." Sin is serious and many youth ministers seem to downplay it. God has set His standards very concrete regarding sin, and a godly youth minister would do wise to speak boldly and truthfully. Teens also don't want to be talked down to. Sure, the Bible and church need to be exciting, but, as I stated in another thread, cliches such as "hip, rad, cool" and other phrases often are used to butter up a mesage. A lot of the times the content is left out in an attempt to keep from offending or boring a teen.

Teens are smart and listen more than people think they (we) do. Youth ministers need to be interesting, but not at the expense of losing the boldness and doctrine, in my opinion.

7. firestarter

firestarter Guest

Well being young and having energy are good charcteristics because they are then on a teen level. Also treating teenagers as adults with respect and understanding that they aren't all that different. The most important factor is that they be on Fire for God, becuase fire can spread quickly or be contained. Teens are just looking for their purpose so a youth pastor should show them how fun God is!

It's a good question, but each group has variance in age and sex I think females and males look for different things, the best way to find your guy is to let your potentials meet your youth and have the youth pray about it and tell you who they feel is the best person. Then let your church pray about it and tell them what your youth group said and then make the decision.

8. savedgirl63026

savedgirl63026 New Member

I love my youth leader! I think it is someone who knows what is going on temptation wise in teenagers lives and everything. My current youth pastor was youth leader for a few years, then he went to start a church about a half hour or so away for 6 years, now he is back. He has to learn all the new stuff, etc. He is great though. He was talking about music and the recent christian rock groups, and you could tell that he had researched and stuff....which is GREAT!!! They need to be saved (of course), in His Word, right with the Lord and WILLING!!!! you HAVE to be willing to be a youth leader..

Jamie :)