1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Those Who Defend The Actions Of Southern

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Mar 24, 2005.

1. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Of course, you are right Martin; however, you speak of demanding change in a society that is drifting more and more away from Christ. We all must take a stand for that which is of God, but a fair and level playing field (in the eyes of man) must be presented to all, especially in the push for diversity awareness. Do you know that it is against the law for me to deny renting my property to queers in the fine state that I live in? You see, it isn't just a matter of the school saying that certain types of companies need not apply, especially if that school is accepting any kind of federal funding, facilitating federal student loans, etc. What is the solution? Reach'em one at a time, especially when they are young.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are using a company to provide a service. Are we only to use Christian companies for services??

==My position is that Christian companies should not contract out to companies that celebrate what God condemns. Not all nonChristian companies celebrate homosexuality. Nor is this about a diversity policy. I have no problem with diversity. I do, however, have a problem with a company that proudly celebrates what God condemns.

Beyond that, there are Christian companies out there that Southern (and others) could have contracted out to.

I agree that homosexuality is condemned by Scripture. I bet everyone at SBTS does as well.

==I am aware of that fact, however that is not the issue. I believe Southern, and others, just have a blind spot here. A tragic blind spot. The issue here is one of being unequally yoked (2Cor 6:14-18) and I have not heard/read one person (not even one) give a Biblical reason why that does not apply here. Everyone seems to be putting that aside and saying, "well Liberty does it". That is not an answer or solution. Liberty should not do it, Southern should not, nor should any other Christian school.

Do I, personally, use companies that I know celebrate what God condemns (when I have other choices)? No.

What happened to our boycott of Disney? Was not that because Disney celebrated what God condemned? Why is it wrong for Christians to purchase Snow White, because of Disney's gay day, but it is ok for Southern to contract with a company that celebrates homosexuality?

Please, will someone give me a BIBLICAL justification for such a position? That is all I am after here.

In Christ,
    Martin.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, you are right Martin; however, you speak of demanding change in a society that is drifting more and more away from Christ.

==Believe me when I say that I am fully aware of what I am saying, and that many dear brothers and sisters in Christ will be uncomfortable with it. However I believe a demanding change is needed not just in society, but mainly in the church.

We all must take a stand for that which is of God, but a fair and level playing field (in the eyes of man) must be presented to all, especially in the push for diversity awareness. Do you know that it is against the law for me to deny renting my property to queers in the fine state that I live in?

==I am aware of that. However Southern, and Liberty, had other legal choices. They did not have to say why they went with one company over another. I am not saying that Liberty or Southern should have broken the law, no. They had other legal and Christian options. However I do see in Scripture that the Apostles were commanded by the rulers not to preach in the name of Jesus. Yet they obeyed God rather than man (Acts 5:27-32).

What ever there reasoning for chosing this particular company, they were wrong.

You see, it isn't just a matter of the school saying that certain types of companies need not apply, especially if that school is accepting any kind of federal funding, facilitating federal student loans, etc. What is the solution? Reach'em one at a time, especially when they are young.

==I agree with you. However I don't believe federal money is any real reason to compromise the truth.

In Christ,
    Martin.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    btw, I am aware that Dr Falwell (Liberty) and Dr Mohler (Southern) probably neither know anything about this company. These decisions are probably made by the business office. However now that this is coming to light the schools should take action.

Having given them that much, however, the schools should check out these companies before becoming yoked to them.

Martin

5. The Shogun

The Shogun New Member

To Martin and others...

I'm just saying look in your own back yard ... before looking in someone elses... and yes Liberty has used Marriott and then Sodexho for years....

The "unequally yoked" is being taken out of context .... it cannot be compared to marriage and you know it .....

Institutions 'contract' all the time with other businesses -- whether that is to build a building or do pest control......this is called being in the world but not of it ...

Any businesses that contract with Southern (or any other institution) will have a behavior clause for employees on their campuses.....

I agree with Grayhound ... your heart may be in the right place ... but in practice and attitude you are little 'Holier than thou' and a little 'naive'.

6. The Shogun

The Shogun New Member

To R and R....

The reason for bringing any others into the discussion (as your put it -- "my the everybody else is doing it" argument) was not to justify anything.

Instead, it was to say to Martin and others that if Southern's decision is such a 'big deal'-- then it also has to be a big deal for Liberty, Bayler, Samford, Cumberland, etc....

For me -- I don't see the problem .....

For Martin -- His crusade now has to grow or he will be acting in a hypocritical manner in targeting only Southern ....

I can agree to disagree over the 'unequally yoked' discussion -- but please let's get all the facts (not just some of them) on the table when flaming arrows are being thrown.....

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I agree with Grayhound ... your heart may be in the right place ... but in practice and attitude you are little 'Holier than thou' and a little 'naive'. "

==That is very interesting. Because I say Christian schools should not do business with companies that celebrate (not just tolerate) behaviors that God condemns I am "Holier than thou" and "naive"? Interesting.

Where is your Scriptural defense of your position?

You know that 2Cor 6:14ff is not limited to marriage.

Where is your Scriptural defense?

What Scriptural basis does Southern have for being bound to a company that celebrates homosexuality.

Let's review the issue. This is not about a company tolerating homosexuality. This is about a company that celebrates homosexuality. On the following page, page 7, their brochure states:

"Hosted In and Out of the Closet: Gays and Lesbians In The Workplace" as part of the company-wide celebration of Gay and Lesbian pride month"

On page 11 they say one of their action plans is to:

"Sponser Gay and Lesbian Pride month education and events"

"Partner with Sodexho University and the Diversity Department to create training - Understanding Alternative Lifestyles"

And that is just what I found by a quick scan. This is a company that is promoting the homosexual lifestyle (not just tolerating it). It is activly involved in Gay and Lesbian Pride month! What more evidence does anyone need to see that Southern has made a serious error by contracting with this company? That is my question.

Call me "holier than thou" or "naive" if you wish, that is fine and does not bother me. What does bother me is that the flagship seminary of the Southern Baptist Convention, my school, and other conservative schools are contracting with this company. What is worse than that? There are people who will defend such bad decisions.

I am sure that neither Liberty nor Southern have looked deeply into this company. Probably someone in the business office(s) signed the deal. Falwell and Mohler probably know little about it. However now that this is all coming to light I expect that something should be done. The schools made a serious, moral error and now they should fix it.

Martin.

Sodexho's website that the info above was pulled from:
    http://www.sodexhousa.com/2004_Annual_Div_Inc_Rpt.pdf

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Martin -- His crusade now has to grow or he will be acting in a hypocritical manner in targeting only Southern ....

==I think in every reply, since I found out about Liberty, I have made a point to mention my disapproval of both school's actions. That will be clear to all who read over the discussion.

but please let's get all the facts (not just some of them) on the table when flaming arrows are being thrown.....

==Liberty's position changes NOTHING I have said. Just because "everybody is doing it" does not make it right. The Scripture is our guide, not what everyone else is doing or what is socially acceptable. Scripture should be the guide and authority in every area of our lives. As individuals, and as those who lead churches, schools, Christian businesses, etc. Clearly Southern, and Liberty, have made a serious moral error. Probably the "high ups" in the school have no detailed knowledge of every company the school may contract. However someone in the business office(s) did. The schools need to correct this error and take steps to make sure such errors do not happen in the future.

Martin.