1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For those who didn't vote

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Pastor Larry, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I tried looking in the archives to find the discussion we had about Justice Alito back in January, but I could not find it (it's early and I am sitting at the airport). Here is one list of reasons:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200601070001

That made me smile.
    I travel extensively in my job, so I know what you mean. In fact, I am headed to Newark right now. Be safe in your travels.

Have a great weekend,
    BiR

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as a "Republican Supreme Court" or democrat one, for that matter.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schumer is just talking. They couldn't stop Alito's nomination and they knew it. If they thought they could have , they would have.

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Carpro,

I am really not sure why you addressed me in this discussion.
    In the other discussion, you developed a serious integrity issue for yourself, one in which you were brazenly belligerent despite your glaring inability to prove your assertion. As a result, I really have no desire to have any interaction with you.

Going forward, I suppose nothing is stopping you from responding to me; however, I will not respond. Consider yourself shunned... that is, until you resolve that issue.

BiR

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. Blame the the citizens instead of the awful performance by the Republicans in the Congress. If the Republicans who run for elective office ever ditch their love affair with Big Government they will have a chance to regain power. Otherwise, the GOP will be continuing to dig its own political grave. After all, why should folks vote for the Democrat Lite philosophy that so many GOP candidates have embraced when they can vote the for the real thing?

By the way, just so you know, Pastor Larry, I voted for the GOP candidate in my Congressional district simply to go against the incumbent Democrat(who will have the seat for as long as he wants as long as he keeps his nose clean) because, other than for a handful of folks in Congress, I would like to see all of the incumbents defeated. The GOP candidate received 25% of the vote. Voting for a Republican in my area of Arkansas feels pretty much like voting for a minor party candidate.

I refuse to be a one issue voter, whether that issue is the U.S. Supreme Court, abortion, or anything else.

#25 KenH, Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think you misunderstand. I wasn't blaming the voters for the Republicans failure. I was saying that by failing to vote Republican we have made it even harder to have any judicial reform.

It is popular to say that the Dems and Repubs are the same, but in judicial appointments, they are not. And that is an important issue that is too often overlooked.

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

This assumes, of course, a person wants judicial reform.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Republicans got just what they deserved. If you promise to govern like a conservative, you better govern like a conservative if you want to get reelected. Judicial reform being harder is one of the consequences of republicans failing to lead and keep their commitments.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think that the Republicans should be rewarded for making a mess of things - for turning their backs on limited government conservatism - because of the single issue of judicial nominations?

No thanks.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

How can a person not want judicial reform. Today, the judicial branch acts unconstitutionally way too much. They have become a law making branch which is not their purview.

Consider the stupid statement that "Roe is settled law." That is a lie. Law comes from the legislative branch and is signed by the executive branch. Roe was neither. Roe was crafted by the judicial branch. Roe has never actually been passed as a law.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Again, Ken, you are either misunderstanding or deliberately misreading and making stuff up. Neither is acceptable.

I answered this on page one, in the very first post where I said The Republicans deserve to lose on economic policy and domestic policy. Now, how you get from that comment to some alleged belief that I think the Republicans should be rewarded is inexplicable, and unconscionable use of my words. Please do not do that.

I don't think Republicans should be rewarded. But neither do I think the country should be punished with lifetime appointments for bad judges because of it.

Please be more careful with my words to read what I actually say and comment on that. If you would like to comment on something else, that is fine. Just don't attribute it to me.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent point. That is a major reason why it is so controversial. The citizens, through their representatives and senators, have never passed a law making abortion legal throughout the United States.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) But you can't have it both ways. The Republicans had to be rewarded or not rewarded.

2) Maybe you missed the question mark at the end of my sentence that you quoted?

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have an ignore feature. Use it or get over it.:thumbs:
    It makes me no difference which one you choose.

15. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Your opinion.

Again, your opinion.

Evidently someone thinks these judges are doing the right thing, after all someone supported them to get them nominated. They just don't agree with you!

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Speaking of bold leadership and the courts, the six years the REPUBLICANS were in power, they could have passed a law banning abortion and forcing a Supreme Court ruling. Did they? No. Another failure of leadership. At least that would have shown what on the court needs to be changed.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, people support them because they are interested in agendas, not in constitutional law. And the courts today are clearly outside their constitutional framework. No honest person can deny that. They make law.

Scalia was right when he said that there are some things the law doesn't address and the courts should send it to Congress before commenting on it. This is simply common sense.