1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured For Those Who Love The KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Gregory Perry Sr., Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

To Be Honest...

Thomas...I will admit that I have little confidence or trust in modern evangelical scholarship and that my opinion about that matter is based upon my own opinion about the results of their work (modern translations). It would be dishonest for me to state otherwise since I take the position that the KJV is the "king" of the english language translations. If I'm not mistaken (and I AM a "Baptist" in the truest sense of the word) the Anglicans of KJ's day practiced "sprinkling" and believed in baptismal regeneration and infant baptism but they did not allow their personal doctrinal bias to influence or guide their translation work. Their resulting work very clearly (for those who honestly read plain english) teaches baptism by immersion. There are probably other points of contention as well but their honesty about this matter alone certifies them in my eyes. I believe the results of their work were guarded and guided by our Holy God. I continue to have absolute confidence in my God and in His Word.

Bro.Greg

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it the Greek word "baptizo" literally means immerse. However, since the Anglican church of the day practiced sprinkling, instead of translating baptizo into immerse, they invented a new English word, "baptize" which was neutral as to immersion, sprinkling or pouring. Thus, they were in fact dishonest about the matter.

3. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

They also believed in the Episcopal model of church govenment and they did not believe in a sepatation of church/state. The monarch of England was/is the head of the church. The KJV was comissioned by the King of England, not as far as we know the Spirit of God working in the hearts of men to produce the ultimate English translation of the Hebrew/Greek Scriptures. The 1611 work itself has an actual writen dedication to the King of England!

And how do you know this? Does the historical record prove this? Does 400 years scholarship prove your point? If yes then show us.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gregory Perry Sr:
    So do I. That's why I don't limit myself to just one translation of it.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

I don't read greek but if what I have read is correct then what they did in relation to the greek word was "transliterate" it into our english word "baptize". It is not dishonest to take a neutral stance. It would have been dishonest to translate the word into that which supported or advanced their doctrinal bias when it did NOT mean sprinkle. I disagree with your conclusion but I know I'm not going to change your mind. You are free to believe as you wish and we will all give an accounting to God for whatever stance we take. I am VERY aware of that. For that reason alone we better ALL be very careful about what position we take in relation to the Word of God. We will be judged by it. Frankly, (and I'm sure many of you will be quite thrilled about this)....I am getting VERY tired of arguing about this. We have all taken pretty clearly stated positions on both side of the fence and I don't see anyone changing directions on what they believe. Kinda gets pointless after a while. I will continue to love and appreciate my King James Bible and love and worship the God who gave it to me. My faith (and the things I have faith in) may be subject to the criticism of others but it will never be subject to the approval of anybody but my Lord Jesus Christ. For now, I need a shower and some dinner. Ya'll have a nice day and a good evening.

Bro.Greg:wavey:

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Doesn't really matter....

[
    It doesn't really matter that the KJV was "commissioned" by King James. It would ONLY matter if the "commissioning" was used as an opportunity to advance a "state" or "church/denominational" agenda or bias. We have seen this kind of thing demonstrated in the NWT of the JW's and probably "footnoted" editions of the KJV published by the Mormons. Regardless, every new Version is "commissioned by somebody be it a "religious" body or a secular or "state" body. Each different publication that calls itself a Bible or is declared to be "the Word of God" must be evaluated on it's own merits.

]

The "historical record", as interesting and useful as it may be, is NOT the standard by which we should judge or evaluate the text of the KJV or ANY OTHER Bible version. God always uses imperfect men to perform His perfect work and will. The penmen of the divinely inspired "originals" were all sinners and as such were ample proof of that truth. History is useful but it is not the only or even the best means of proof. I do love history...I really do....I think it is fascinating but I judge history BY the Bible...not the Bible by history. For the record...and on the "lighter" side...I love Bible and Church history, military history , maritme and aviation history, railroad history...and on a faster note..Nascar/racing history. I do try to be well rounded...( but I have a terrible memory about birthdays and anniversarys). Have a nice day!

Bro.Greg:laugh:

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They took a Greek word meaning 'immerse' and instead of translating it into English, i.e. 'immerse', they coined a totally new word 'baptize' that does not indicate the methodology of immersion. That is dishonest, IMO.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Who is "they"?

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV translators. IIRC, the Geneva Bible sometimes also used the word baptize so perhaps the KJV translators did not coin a 'new' word, but nevertheless they did not honestly translate it 'dip' or 'immerse'.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Tyndale, Wycliffe, and Bishops also have "baptize". You can't put that on the KJV translators. The word had been used long before 1611. Not to mention, ALL MV's use the word.

11. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thank you Amy...for adding a little balance to this discussion.

Bro.Greg

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word wasn't in common usage in 1611. The KJV translators still had a choice, either 'baptize' or 'immerse'.

I guess the real question is this: "Does 'baptizo' mean immerse? If it does then Tyndale, Wycliffe, Bishop's, Geneva and finally the KJV mis-translated it.

The MV's use baptize because it is a commonly used word, esp. since 1611, which has come to mean something other than 'immerse'.

13. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    with water or in water?

The KJV translators' doctrinal views did influence their translation work in some verses that relate to church government views.

Among those words called "ecclesiastical words" which King James forbade to be translated into English, changed, or updated, the words "baptism" and "baptize" could perhaps be included. In fact, the preface to the 1611 KJV clearly indicated that “baptism” was considered to be one of the “old ecclesiastical words“ that the translators were ordered to keep. John T. Christian affirmed “that ‘baptize’ was included among the ecclesiastical words is evident from the preface that King James’ translators put to their Bible” (Close Communion, p. 164). Jack Lewis wrote: “The translators in their ‘Preface to the Reader,‘ confess that there a polemic interest in retaining certain ecclesiastical words like ‘baptism’ and ‘church’” (English Bible, p. 63).

As far as baptism, the KJV is not as clear as you suggest since the KJV's rendering "baptize with water" could be understood to imply or permit sprinkling or pouring.

S. E. Anderson observed: "The KJV of Matthew 3:11 reads, "I baptize you with water," but the Greek has it, "I immerse you in water" (Biblical Baptist Beliefs, p. 17). Henry Burrage also noted: "In those passages in our English version [KJV] where we find the words 'with water,' as in Matt. 3:11, 'I indeed baptize you with water,' the Greek has 'in water'" (Jenkens, Baptist Doctrines, p. 153).

Concerning this verse in his commentary on Matthew, John Broadus has this comment: “With--rather, in water is the proper rendering of the preposition and case here employed” (p. 48). Concerning this verse in the KJV, John Christian noted: “You must remember this is the Episcopalian translation of King James. The original Greek has, they shall be baptized ‘in water’” (Immersion, p. 51). He concluded: “The literal meaning of the passage is in water and not with water” (p. 52). John R. Rice pointed out that "the word translated with in the above verse is usually translated in" (Bible Baptism, p. 41).

Richard Pengilly asserted: “’IN water’; not with water,‘ as it is rendered in the English authorized version” (Scripture Guide, p. 14). Pengilly asked: “Would it not be absurd to render the passage [Matt. 3:6] ‘John baptized with the Jordan‘”? (p. 15). Augustus Strong maintained that at texts such as Matthew 3:11 the “en is to be taken, not instrumentally, but as indicating the element in which the immersion takes place” (Systematic Theology, p. 935). Thomas J. Conant contended that those texts [Matt. 3:11, Mark 1:8, John 1:26, 31, 33] with the preposition in denote “locality, or the element in or within which the act is performed” (Meaning, p. 100). Hugh Jones claimed that “the ambiguity in the authorized translation of the Bible sometimes confuses the reader in regard to the acts of baptism” (Act, pp. 1-2). He asserted that “John baptized not ‘with’ but ‘in’ water (p. 30).

Wycliffe's, Tyndale's, Matthew's, Coverdale's Duoglott, Great, and Bishops' Bibles have "in water" at Matthew 3:11. Wycliffe's, Tyndale's, Matthew's, Coverdale's Duoglott, Great, and Whittingham's have "in water" at John 1:33. The 1842 revision began Matthew 3:11 as follows: “I indeed immerse you in water.”

Concerning Mark 1:8, Thomas Patience or Patient in 1654 maintained that the rendering with water “suits with sprinkling“ (Doctrine of Baptism, p. 9). Charles Stovel wrote: “The expression, ‘I baptized you in water,‘ implies that John moved the persons when he baptized them; but the expression, ‘I baptized you with water,‘ as plainly implies that in the act of baptism the water was moved” (Christian Discipleship, p. 492). Stovel added: “thereby the way is prepared for affirming that we may baptize with water, by sprinkling” (Ibid.). Does the translation of this preposition as “with” open the door to claiming that sprinkling is an acceptable mode of baptism? Patience wrote: “It may be as well rendered, I baptize you in water, and he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit.” Patience wrote: “It may as well be rendered, I baptize you, or dip you into water, as it is rendered, they were casting a net into the sea, Mark 1:16, for which the words are affirmed to be the same, and it would be too improper a speech to say, John did baptize with the wilderness [1:4], and they were casting a net with the sea [1:16]” (Doctrine, p. 9).

In his commentary on the Pastoral Epistles, Peter Ruckman cited Bruce Lackey as claiming that Mark 1:8 should be translated “‘baptized IN’ rather than ‘with’” (p. 412). Concerning Mark 1:9-11, John Christian contended that “This passage says in the original that he was baptized into the Jordan” (Immersion, p. 56). He maintained that the best thing “to do is to take this passage as it reads, Jesus was immersed into the river of Jordan” (p. 59). Stovel asserted that there is “a distinct difference in the meaning of the three words, in, with, and into, which our [KJV] translators have concealed by changing the one for the other, in order to make the English version fit the borrowed word baptize” (Christian Discipleship, p. 503).

#73 Logos1560, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  14. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV translators were under orders to keep or use the renderings "baptize" and "baptism."

The preface to the 1611 KJV clearly indicated that “baptism” was considered to be one of the “old ecclesiastical words“ that the translators were ordered to keep. John T. Christian affirmed “that ‘baptize’ was included among the ecclesiastical words is evident from the preface that King James’ translators put to their Bible” (Close Communion, p. 164).

Tyndale's and Matthew's Bibles have "christen" at 1 Corinthians 1:14. Wycliffe's Bible also used "christen" for "baptize" in some places.

What does the fact that a couple of the pre-1611 English Bibles used "christen" at least one time to mean the same thing or as a synonym for "baptize" suggest about the meaning of baptize in that day?

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    didn't King james also want to keep the calvinistic notes out of margins, and to keep Kingly authority in the scriptures in the KJV?

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Well...if he wanted to keep the calvinism stuff out that would, in my opinion, be cause for me to THANK HIM......since that is even more divisive than the version debate. While I believe that there are some points of Biblical truth among Calvin's "institutes" there are also flaws that have misled many over the years as well. They have been endlessly debated without resolution here and elsewhere for years. I'm not gonna hijack the thread by starting THAT debate here....I'm just sayin'......!

Bro.Greg

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm confused. If the word "baptize" was an incorrect translation, and if the KJV translators were under orders to keep it, who's orders are the MV's under? They have all kept it too. And therefore the MV translators have also mistranslated the word.

What exactly is your point?

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is that the KJV translators were given directives to use certain words and not others when they translated the Bible.

19. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Not really a translation of the term. It's a transliteration.

Why the "if"? They had many orders from the King including keeping marginal notes to a minimum. Though they did include marginal notes including ones about textual variants.

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point was that they had an agenda to make sure their translation met approval, so was not totally accurate to original texts, as had to do some "editoralizing" in the final product!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.