1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For those who want to know about Calvinism...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jw, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jw

jw New Member

2. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Please, we already know their false teachings.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite honestly Ron... and I say this in genuine, sincere kindness toward you... I don't think you do or else your posts would mischaracterize what we believe.

You would probably benefit from Piper... though he probably believes a little different from other calvinists like me.

4. jw

jw New Member

Not asking you to agree with everything Piper says, but he does present a good case. It's obvious from many of the posts on the subject lately that the nay sayers have never listened to Piper or any decent Calvinistic apologist or they wouldn't post some of the misinformation they do post.

Don't you think you should at least *hear* the other side of the argument, and not just what you have been taught that the other side believes by fellow Arminians?

Try it, you might just like it [​IMG]

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judging from the rambling conversations that go on here... I am not sure that they want to hear. They want to hear what they already believe about our position and will re-interpret anything we say to conform to their presupposition.

Repeatedly I have experienced the same basic routine as what I am going through with "ME" right now. I say what I believe. They mischaracterize it and ask questions. I correct them and answer their questions then ask questions of my own. They evade my questions perhaps asking more of their own or going off on some irrelevant rabbit trail or attacking me/my position with emotional/experiential arguments.... again answers and corrections... then right back to the start where they tell me what I believe rather than listening to what I am telling them that I believe.

I try to not avoid any of their questions since if a position is biblical it can answer questions in a biblically consistent way. However I persistently get evasion to fairly fundamental questions from anti-calvinists.

6. jw

jw New Member

How about this. Another fellow Calvy that has time to do this today (which isn't me [​IMG] - though I might try to put one together later this week if no one else does) start a new thread with a well thought out presentation of Calvinism with scriptural references. Try to keep it somewhat concise (I know I usually skip over any thread where the opening post is 10 pages long). Deal with the 5 points (or 4 points if you're a 4 pointer... or a 4.5 like me ;) )

Then ye ole' Arminians can respond, only dealing with those things you disagree with in the the presentation, with Biblical reasons why you do not agree with them. (i.e. no more making up stuff that you think Calvinist believe and attack that, just deal with what is presented)