1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For those who want to know the Free Grace view of calvinism / arminianism...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Feb 8, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Webdog wrote:
    For all of the cries by the calvinist's of "you do not know what we really believe", your comment proves likewise. What is truly "pathetic" is that a person's justification or judging thereof can depend on works."

The last sentence has exactly nailed this, [​IMG] and exactly nails where 'Arminianism', and 'Calvinism', are, in fact, identical. The final analysis is that one is really saved by something other than grace through faith! :eek: The protestations by any are meaningless when one can and does say because your works or lifestyle, or whatever, do not live up to MY :rolleyes: :rolleyes: understanding of what it should be, you obviously have never 'really' been saved, as per 'Calvinism', or you were saved, but you have obviously lost it, as per 'Arminianism'? What is the quantitative difference? :confused: What difference does it make in the final analysis if I travel to, say Atlanta, from KY whether I take the route of US 27 (Ok, I'm a 'road fan') south to Cahttnooga, and pick up I-75 south, or take I-75 all the way from Central KY, when my destination is Atlanta, and I get there via both routes? Are there 'brownie points' awarded for taking one route over the other? :confused: That is the qualitative difference, I spoke of earlier. The 'webdog' has just done bit the mailman!
    In His grace,
    Ed

[ February 09, 2006, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ed, I noticed in your favorite verses, you had Eph. 2:8-9 - some of my favorites, too. By the way, what does verse 10 say the result of saving faith is?

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, I don't know. :confused: Perhaps you can tell me. But I'll try, anyhow. [​IMG] I don't believe that "saving faith", per se, is mentioned in the verse. Let's see if I can exegete this from memory, a bit, bein' as I don't have my Bible real handy. :eek:
    For we are made new in Christ to do good works, as God has determined we shall walk in them? :confused: Or something like that? :confused:
    Ed

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thanks for the quote: Is my 'exegesis' right?
    Ed

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I certainly agree with you, Ed Sutton.

As I see it then, we are created new so that we can do good works......this will not always mean that good works will suddenly become easy for us. I mean sometimes people talk as if when you become saved the good works just suddenly naturally flood out of you. If that were so, than why do we still have to be commanded to act like we are children of God and not children of the world?

Good works are what we were newly created to be able to perform. We still have to work at doing them though.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Pot: "Yer black!" :mad:

Kettle: "No, yer black!" :mad:

Skillet: "No, yer BOTH blacker 'n me!!" [​IMG]

Ed: "Have I missed anything so far?" :rolleyes:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bjonson

bjonson New Member

webdog,

So then, you don't believe a person has to repent in order to be saved?

consider God's Word:

"and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem." (Luke 24:47, ESV)

Acts says this:

"And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”" (Acts 16:31, ESV)

but then says this:

"testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21, ESV)

Looks like repentance must accompany faith...

"“Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." (Isaiah 55:6-7, ESV)

"and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” " (Mark 1:15, ESV)

Jesus said this very clearly:

"and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3, ESV)

webdog, are you going to disagree with Jesus Christ on this?

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ed, I used the term "saving faith" as a contrast from "dead faith" as described in James 2. There is such a thing as dead faith, correct? And James teaches us that dead faith does not save.

Our works do not contribute to our justification, they are the result of our justification.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Repentance and faith are listed separately in this verse. While I agree repentance accompanies faith, only faith saves. True repentance follows faith in Christ. In order to truly repent, you have to have the understanding of what you are repenting of and the need of a Saviour.

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Isn't Free Grace an oxymoron? I thought that the Sovereign Grace of God was purchased by the blood of the God-man, Jesus Christ.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

If grace isn't free; grace isn't grace.
    Grace is the free unmerited favor of God.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is not what dead faith means in context. The faith that is "dead" is being likened to a car that is "dead". It still exists, but is not "working". The phrase "dead" does not mean non existent. When we die, we do not become non existent, likewise, faith without works is "dead"...meaning not an active faith.

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This is not what dead faith means in context. The faith that is "dead" is being likened to a car that is "dead". It still exists, but is not "working". The phrase "dead" does not mean non existent. When we die, we do not become non existent, likewise, faith without works is "dead"...meaning not an active faith. </font>[/QUOTE]James 2:14 says:

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

What is the answer to second rhetorical question? The answer is "no", of course. It tells us that there is such a thing as dead faith, and it does not save us.

Further, why does he go on to talk about demons believing facts about God? Did the demons once have faith but now their faith is merely "inactive" - as you put it? By your reasoning, the demons are actually saved, but their faith is merely inactive!

Yours is a horrifying intepretation of James 2.

15. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good article by Dr. Wilkin...

Repentance Isn’t Found in Paul’s Defense of His Gospel in Galatians

The gospel Paul preached to the Galatians was under attack by men we now call Judaizers (Gal 1:6-9). They were proclaiming justification by faith plus works. They did not deny the death and resurrection of Jesus or the importance of faith. They did, however, say that faith was not enough. One must also be circumcised and keep the law of Moses, they said.

Paul defends his gospel in Galatians. Chapter 2 verses 15 and 16 are his thesis statement. A man is not justified by works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ. That’s it.

Not once in Galatians do we find reference to repentance. Surely if repentance were a condition of justification Paul would say so in Galatians. That he does not proves the point.

Repentance Isn’t Found in the Only Evangelistic Book in the Bible

The Gospel of John is evangelistic (John 20:31 ). No other book is. All other books are written to those who already believe. This isn’t to say that we don’t find mention of the saving message elsewhere. But it is to say that we surely will find a full orbed presentation of the saving message in John.

The words metanoeo and metanoia, repent and repentance, are not found even once in John’s Gospel. This is the gospel of belief. Ninety-nine times pisteuo, believe, occurs. Over and over again we are told that the one who believes in Jesus has everlasting life (e.g., 3:16, 18, 36; 4:10ff.; 5:24 ; 6:47 ; 11:25 -27).

The author was a disciple of John the Baptist and was schooled in the doctrine of repentance. He speaks of repentance in the Book of Revelation. That we don’t find it in his evangelistic book is telling.

These Aren’t Arguments from Silence

Some would object that these are arguments from silence. Actually, as Zane Hodges has shown in his book Harmony with God, they are arguments about silence.

If I wrote a book on the best basketball players in the NBA today and I did not mention Karl Malone, it would be clear that I didn’t consider him one of the best today. My failure to mention him would be an argument about silence, not from it. So too on this issue. That Galatians and John are dealing with justification and yet neither mentions repentance is proof that repentance is not a condition of justification/eternal life.

The Sole Condition of Justification is Faith in Jesus

Galatians 2:15-16 makes this clear. So does John 6:47. And so do over 150 other passages in the Bible.

Therefore, unless repentance is another name for faith, then repentance cannot be a condition for eternal life.

Repentance Isn’t Faith

That repentance isn’t faith is clear in a statement like, “Repent, and believe in the gospel” (Mark 1:15 ). It is also clear in the many passages which call upon believers to repent.

Repentance is a decision to turn from one’s sins and get right with God (Luke 15). This is something which believers who are out of fellowship with God are called upon do. However, even unbelievers can decide to turn from their sins in an effort to get right with God. Their repentance, though not a condition of eternal life, might result in God opening their eyes to the truth of the gospel (Acts 10:1-11:18; 16:13-15).

Conclusion: Repentance Isn’t a Condition of Justification

Since justification is by faith alone, it isn’t by also by repentance or baptism or discipleship or commitment or works or anything else. The sole condition of justification before God is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Calvinists who say that repentance is a condition of justification need to rethink their position. They are contradicting themselves and denying the key cry of the Reformation: Sola Fide, by faith alone.

Of course, non-Calvinists who cling to repentance as a condition of eternal life likewise need to reconsider. Both need to realize that if the sole condition of eternal life is believing that Jesus guarantees eternal life to all who simply believe in Him, and if they have never believed that, then they are lost no matter how committed they are, no matter how much they love God, no matter how sincere they are, and no matter how orthodox the rest of their theology may be.

“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved” (Acts 16:31 ). That’s it. That truly is good news.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

repentance isn't a work, anyway.

Oh, and Andy, just to be fair, I don't think we can compare any part of salvation to anything that we read about angels/demons. They are not part of redemption, while we are. The same things do not apply for us as they do for them.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

O.k., and those with dead faith are unredeemed, as well.

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

ok Andy,

but what does that mean? Do you think that a person can be trusting in Christ as their Saviour and believing what the Bible says, and still be unsaved?

After all, there are moments when our own faith wavers. What if we someday have doubts? Does that automatically mean that we are not actually saved?

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No, 'Free grace' is not an oxymoron, but it is redundant, and is not found in Scripture. (Free gift is likewise redundant and not found, save in the addition of the word 'free' by some translations where it is entirely unneeded.) Since grace is, at least in the NT (Don't read Hebrew, therefore do not know from whence any words translated into the LXX may have come), from the Gk. word " χαρ'ις " or 'charis' in English transliteration, the root word of 'charisma' which means good-will, or favor, and carries with it the idea that the kindness bestows on one that which he has not deserved (All this in summary in Thayer), any mention of free is redundant. (FTR, you will not even find the word 'sovereign' anywhere in Scripture, so 'Sovereign Grace' is a theological construct, not a Biblical term.) Actually, according to Eph. 1:7, the redemption through his blood, (and) the forgiveness of sins is ACCORDING TO the riches of His grace, and not the other way around, in answer to the question you asked.
    In His grace,
    Ed