1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Forced to Serve / so I dont go OP

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Once again:

For a child to be a part of this ministry the parent MUST pay a price. That price is their time and labor.

True or False?

Please answer the questions. You have implied that I'm making false characterizations and dishonest statements.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, nope, that is an exaggeration to demonize what you do not like. Trying to create a victim based on a dishonest characterization.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Answer the question. Is this a true statement?

For a child to be a part of this ministry the parent MUST pay a price.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have answered it twice now. What part of N-O-P-E do you not understand? That is a false characterization. Plain and simple. Back to your orignal claim it is just false that anyone is forced to do anything.

Your first claim: someone is forced to serve

and your second claim: someone must pay

have nothing to with each other, in either one they are both wrong and false characterization. Everyone has a choice. You may not like your choices but you still have a choice.

#24 Revmitchell, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see any legalism in this e-mail at all. I see a church who has decided that it needed it's women to be a part of a ministry and expects their congregants to be involved. I don't see the problem with that.

I homeschooled my kids so was around them 24/7 and when I had babies in the nursery, I happily served. Heck, I'd STILL be in there if I wasn't working the computer every Sunday in the service. I actually feel badly that I'm not helping the young moms to be able to attend church without distraction each week. I guess it's how you approach it all.

6. Sminasian

Sminasian Member

It says it right there, from her computer to mine. " the nursery, however , is not a volunteer position". Well if it is not a volunteer position, its a mandatory one. I rest my case

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people just want to be victims. Once they achieve victim status in their mind they will go and join websites and support groups for people who have "been abused by the church". Crimeny they just want create problems no matter what happens.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If the childish policies did not exist in the first place, then there would be nothing to complain about. The nicest thing one can say about it is that it is a sure sign of an immature Christian.

9. Jereynolds

Jereynolds New Member

Whether it is right or it is wrong, would anyone feel comfortable leaving their children with someone who does not want to be there? I agree that all should want to serve in whatever capacity that they can but in reality this isn't the feeling of everyone in the church....so again do I really want my child in a room with someone who would rather not be there?
    Another thought which might have already been touched upon...just because someone has children doesn't always mean that they are capable enough to look after and/or teach children.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Reverend, is this the way you usually respond to members of your congregation who may disagree with you? I hope it isn't as easy for you to make accusations when standing face to face with one of your flock.

If a child is to be a part of a church nursery ministry a parent must pay by giving of their time to said ministry. Stated again. If a child goes into the church nursery the parent is forced to work there, as well.

You speak of choice. There is no choice offered. No pay, no attendence for the child.

For the record, I'm opposed to the exclusion of anyone from any church ministry without support for that position from the NT scriptures. I'm equally opposed to mandated service in any ministry for ANY REASON dictated by man. If a church offers a ministry service to the congregation, the strings attached for those performing/receiving the service should be ONLY those as specified in the New Covenant. If the church, for whatever reason, is unable to do that, then the ministry shouldn't be offered.

Isn't the purpose of any church ministry to bring all people into closer fellowship with Jesus Christ? Isn't the goal of any church ministry to remove stumbling blocks from the narrow path believers must walk?

When service performance rules are put into place, how many parents will resentfully submit in order to keep their children in youth oriented ministries? How many will resentfully keep their children with them during worship services? How many will just quietly walk away from the church because they can't, for whatever reason (including resentment), comply with the "rules". IMO, creating resentment in a church is a powerful stumbling block. Especially for the unsaved, undecided, and those new to the faith. Further, it can cause hesitation for mature believers as they wrestle with the challenge this "rule" presents in their committment to serve our Lord.

This verse has come to mind as I've typed this reply.

Matthew 11: KJB
    28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

11. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Unlike Annsi, I would see a great deal of legalism in the e-mail.

When it comes to cleaning team, I used to volunteer for it and would still love to do so, but allergies and asthma make it a no no now. Just being female doesn't mean I need to serve there.

And I would run like the dickens from any church insisting the nursery is not a volunteer position, with all women ASSIGNED their time to work it.

First off, children are no safer with women than with men. Why is this church considering this a duty of women but not men?

Secondly, not every woman is automatically someone capable of being around little ones--whether that be emotionally, mentally, or physically. Do they really expect the childless not by choice gal to take her rotation of torture? Maybe right after a miscarriage? Do they just expect the little ones to cope with a Mrs. Hitler wannabe? What about the older arthritic ladies, or those with osteoporosis? Buck up, granny, who cares if it hurts now and permanently disables you.

But most important of all for me is this: at my husband's leading, there have been many times when our priority was on worshipping as a family. I'm not going to rebel against his leadership to follow someone else's.

So this Sunday, nope, didn't take my turn leading children's church. I DID stay in the pew with a younger grandchild and quietly help her find her place in the hymnal, the Bible, and whisper quick explanations when she didn't understand a word here and there in the sermon.

Also did the same for a little bus ministry guy who chose to sit by me for the part of the service before children's church.

Plainly spoken, parenting is the parents' responsibility. Past that, I do believe God calls and gifts some to pick up the slack when parents don't assume their responsibility. But I see that quite the same as someone called to teach, to preach, to pastor, to play the piano, or to scrub the toilets.

If they are called, you don't have to ask them or tell them.

They already know it.

12. JasonSelf

JasonSelf New Member

It seems to me that there is a real problem of rebellion present against the authority of the church in question. Perhaps if you submit yourself to serving in ways that are less personally gratifying then the Lord will be able to use you in other facets of ministry. Until you can demonstrate a Phil 2:3 attitude of esteeming others higher than yourself you are no good to the church anyhow.