1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreknow

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Jan 14, 2010.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible says He is the author and finisher of our faith. That is more than the "initiator".

peace to you:praying:

2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

heaven

When we end up in heaven and see our Lord Jesus Christ. When God gave us the faith that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. We will know that Jesus is the author ,finisher and perfecter of our faith.

Hebrews 12:2 (New International Version)

2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:2 (King James Version)
    2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Canadyjd,

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not intending to say that I loathe the Doctrines of Grace. On the contrary, I love them.

When I say that I don't like the position I hold, that is based on these things:

1. I don't like that man is dead in his trespasses and sins.

2. I don't like that I am unable to please God in and of myself.

3. I don't like that God had to intervene to make my cold, unwilling heart willing.

4. I don't like that I had to give up on the pride I once had as an Arminian--thinking I made all the right choices and was, therefore, better than all the non-believers.

After all, I am a human being and for any human, pride is always an issue. Like so many others I want to be proud about what I have done.

I don't like the theological position I hold in the sense that it reveals my utter and total inability to be or do anything good. I love the Doctrines of Grace because in them, God solves all these problems and debases my pride at the same time.

The Doctrines of Grace constantly and consistently show me what a vile sinner I am and they show me that even my best works are shot-through with sin.

But, with Paul, I am not ashamed of the Gospel...

Blessings,

The Archangel

4. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

You've been telling us all about your profound education, but perhaps those of us (not me) less educated might talk about the passage while you look on:

It says that Jesus is the "lamb without blemish or defect" who:

1. was "foreknown before the foundation of the word"

and

2. "but was made manifest in the last time for your sakes"

Notice that Jesus was already the unblemished lamb prior to his entry into human history. How so? He was known to be unblemished. The contrast is between two points in time, with "foreknown" being then and "made manifest" being now.

The time contrast is quite clear, as I pointed out above. The inference, if any, is that God chose Christ because he was foreknown to be unblemished. He was already more valuable than the "silver and gold" mentioned in the preceding text because the would be unblemished at the time of the sacrifice. Therefore, if you must, he was chosen because he was unblemished, more precious than silver or gold. God knew it in advance.

#104 BaptistBob, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  5. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

The OT is quite clear that Israel shared in that election:

19 For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."

Of course, Paul makes this very point, that Israel is chosen to receive many great an precious promises. However, apart from faith they are merely favored because of that election, because the election was not to faith.. To them was given much, but they did not believe. To the Jews first.......

Of course. But that begs the question. Chosen for what?

For I have chosen him,----> so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD

#105 BaptistBob, Jan 18, 2010
  6. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, well, well...that's rather snotty on your part. Does my theological position really bother you to the point that you have to engage in an ad hominem commentary on me? Is that any way to treat a fellow Christian? I think not.

Blessings,

The Archangel

7. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

You're adding pronouns.

The idea is that Christ pioneered and accomplished what faith in God accomplishes, by entering into heaven before us. Therefore, faith in him, held to the end, will not disappoint. Calvinist commentators that agree will be supplied upon request.

8. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

I don't think you understand how condescending your comments about your education are. I'm interested in what your argument is, not that you've arrived at such a higher understanding of those who oppose you. Yet you repeatedly employ that argument.

#108 BaptistBob, Jan 18, 2010
  9. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry if you are intimidated by my education. I certainly don't intend the comments to be condescending. The facts of my education are just that--facts. It should count for something that I am making comments on things of a theological nature having had a formal theological education...instead of a formal education as a plumber. After all, if you hire a plumber to install a toilet, you should want to know he's been well-trained to do the job.

If you have taken my comments, which are, admittedly, often based on the Greek or Hebrew texts, to be indicative of a "higher understanding," then I think the problem is yours, I'm sorry to say.

I don't remember making "repeated" reference to my education, as you suggest. I have made references to it in the past, but it was a factual reference.

Recently, however, I made reference to how I became convinced of the truth of the Doctrines of Grace. That was based on my education, that is true. But, I explained exactly how I came to my conclusions, in a manner of speaking. I was not making a comment on a particular aspect of the Doctrines of Grace. I was making a general comment to Robert Snow. So, if that is what has bothered you so much, frankly you're being bothered by something not directed to you, which suggests that you have a nerve exposed.

Again, sorry if you are intimidated. Even so, it doesn't elicit comments such as you made earlier.

Blessings,

The Archangel

10. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

I'm not, since you are not more educated.

It appeared to me that you were saying that you were reading Scripture in context because of your education. If so, that is simply an assertion, and nothing more than posturing.

And, yes, it does strike a nerve when I see someone appeal to their alledged status with regard to Scripture, rather than discuss their argument regarding the context. If I did that to a student in class, I would lose the respect of every person in the room, regardless of their opinion. I've seen it done. Perhaps we all have.

And those who disagree with you don't find Scripture convincing? Who do you think you are?

Anyhow, this issue about your comment isn't worth pursuing any farther. If it hits the mark, great. If not, so be it.....

#110 BaptistBob, Jan 18, 2010
  11. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did I ever say this?! Again, I think you have issues, and they are not, ultimately, with me.

I certainly think the ones on the other side of the argument can be convinced and convinced by scripture. I think, however, it is possible for them to understand something incorrectly, as we all do from time to time.

Again, you are attributing things to me that I have never said nor implied. That is very unfortunate.

Why I am deserving of your vitriol for things I have never said is beyond me.

Furthermore, you chastise me for touting my education yet you say this: "I'm not, since you are not more educated." You are doing what you deride me for doing. That smacks of hypocrisy. So, I'd encourage you to be careful lest you fall into sin.

Since I didn't address any of my "offensive" comments to you in the first place and since you are insisting on campaign of ad hominem after ad hominem (completely eschewing your own desire to talk about my arguments), I see no need to continue this or any other conversation with you.

In any event, your comments to me were completely unbecoming of a "brother" in Christ. That is something we must all guard ourselves against and I'd encourage you to redouble your efforts.

May God richly bless you,

The Archangel

12. BaptistBob

BaptistBob New Member

That's fine, as long as you admit that its merely your understanding of Scripture. No appeal to your education is necessary.

Agreed.

On the contrary, you attributed something to me that could not be true, so I responded and told you why it could not be true. (You desired a response, right?) If I wanted to do what you accuse me of, I could have implied that I am more educated than you. So far only one of us has done that.

Only those being addressed can point out fallacious arguments?

I will try to tread lightly in the future. I will not use arguments that appeal to my progress from Calvinism to non-Calvinism through the intense and advanced study of Scripture, although I must say that Scripture is too convincing.

#112 BaptistBob, Jan 18, 2010
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can't either as it is linear. Calvinism is linear as well, and I can't buy that either.

#113 webdog, Jan 18, 2010
  14. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok...I will address this, likely for the last time.

The problem is that the scripture says what the scripture says. As in the case of "foreknew," the scripture is quite clear in the contextual usage--it means to choose. So to apply the your preferred definition is not a matter of interpretation or of understanding, it is a question of going against the text.

So, to you it may seem like an interpretive issue, but it only seems that way.

Perhaps you've forgotten this post of yours:
    The above post was the first time you addressed anything of what I said in this thread. You tout your training at the feet of some "famous living Calvinists," your "reading Greek," and "diagramming" in Greek. Now, either you have that training and are therefore touting your own education or you don't have that education and were only mimicking my post and being disingenuous at the same time. Either way, you don't address any textual arguments I've made.

So, assuming you do have the training you profess, you are in fact, touting your education and abilities. So, pot, kettle, black.

No, certainly anyone can can address anyone else. But your first address was a mimic of my post. It didn't deal with any of my arguments (you would do that later). Rather, your post (quoted above) was at me in an ad hominem.

So you didn't address any "fallacious arguments." You attacked me for mentioning my Greek studies to someone else. Obviously, you think any mention of education in an attempted refutation of the theological position you happen to hold, whether directed at you or not, is an attack on you. Perhaps you are seeking to make yourself a pariah for all non-Calvinists?

That's not what I'm getting at at all! I'd love to hear what changed your mind. I love to examine and refine my own arguments. But you have not been addressing my arguments--you mimicked a post of mine (and therefore you yourself did exactly what you accuse me of).

Unlike you, the issue I have with your posting is not necessarily what was said, but how it was said. I am not threatened in the least by your holding a different theological position from me--something I cannot say about you.

Even if you disagree with me--which, obviously, you are free to do--you must address me in a respectful manner, not because of me, but because we both call ourselves Christians. That is a biblical requirement (read 1 John).

I think you are having a serious issue--You continue to accuse me of the very things you are doing and you seem to feel that any disagreement (by anyone--whether addressed to you or not) with the position you hold is an attack on you. Very unfortunate.

Blessings,

The Archangel

15. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Webdog,

Just out of curiosity, is there any publication (internet or books) that deals with your non-linear position?

Blessings,

The Archangel

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The evils of Calvinism in a nutshell!

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, please :rolleyes:

18. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Really? Suppose you planned a banquet where your only Son was the guest of honor and you sent messengers all over the world with your invitations (filled with YOUR SPIRIT). Do you think that those who got those invitations were the initiators? Really?

In fact, I think it is obvious that YOU are the initiator and the those being invited are responders.

With all due respect, maybe the reason you are rejecting my position is because you don't fully understand it yet. That can be my only conclusion based upon statements like these.

19. The Archangel

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your textual assumption is not accurate.

Peter is not saying that Christ was "the unblemished lamb prior to his entrance in history." Peter uses the unblemished lamb comment at the end of a sentence and it modifies "Christ" in verse 19 and it is intended to speak of the value of His blood being more than that of gold or silver and that's where that though ends.

This cannot be grammatically. There is no "inference" between the two verses.

There is a clear break between verse 19 and verse 20 (certainly the idea is still flowing, but there is a grammatical break).

At verse 20, Peter uses a μεν...δε construction which means something like "First...second" or "On the one hand...on the other hand." So the μεν...δε construction shows that Peter is addressing what comes after the μεν, not what comes before.

The deeper argument present in verse 20 is that Christ was intended to be our substitutionary sacrifice "before the foundation of the world." But, given that truth, the visible outworking of God's plan (the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Christ) happened in recent history--for the sake of those to whom Peter is writing.

Furthermore, the participle construction of "foreknown" completely eliminates your argument that Christ was "foreknown to be unblemished." The participle shows that it is not something about Christ that was foreknown (again, the improper definition and usage is used in your argument--the idea that it is seeing beforehand). Rather, what this shows is that Christ Himself was foreknown, that is chosen, before the foundation of the world and in the grammatical construction there is no allusion to the reason. Peter is making a simple statement of fact.

So, your argument doesn't comport with the context or grammar of the text.

Blessings,

The Archangel

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Surely someone as smart as you can see the evils of Calvinism, but then again, maybe not.

One former pastor I had told me that Calvinism is the lazy Christian's theology. I disagree. I believe it is the arrogant Christian's theology. After all, they are the ones who believe themselves to be somehow better. After all, they are the chosen ones.