1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreknowledge, Foreknown, Predestined

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Sep 6, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

And this I know from your "Arminian" testimony.

Yes. They had "free will" and sought to be as gods -- in control.

So, like God, we can choose anything we want but God controls the outcome. If we choose to follow Him, He has shown us the outcome He will give attached to that obedience and it all works for the good. Many times (OT especially) He shows us the outcome if we go against God. Provided with this information, we are capable of choosing between good and bad.

So I believe that what you argue is on behalf of the ignorant. Ignorance of God is slavery to the world. But then no man is in that state for long, (Rom 1-2). Wouldn't you agree? They may not know the gospel but by-and-by they know God (1:20) and the capacity to choose.

I was reading CS Lewis last night who gives a pretty good rationale for this --- two men may argue over an issue where both see the same basic Standard of fairness but choose different means of application. They KNOW there is a God through acknowledging the Standard. One may choose the good and the other the perverse but both their worlds have been opened up to God and His standards of human behavior as against their own personal sinfulness. And this, my friend, makes the "will" free.

skypair

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Well, hey, if that is an "Arminian" testimony then I rejoice that my "Arminianism" so closely matches your "Calvinism" or else my "Calvinsim" so closely matches your "Arminianism" such they they cannot be distinqusihed from one another in terms of God's work of grace in bringing sinners to Christ.

Indeed, they had a will free, not inclinded to any evil, but being created righteous, holy and good, were wholly disposed to do what is good, right, and holy. Man was created not immutable (unable to change) but mutable (able to change) and permitted to be tempted of the devil, by the means of which they fell. Of mankind God, as I proved by Scripture, had planned for their redemption. Of the angels that fell, no redemption was planned. Christ did not die for them.

This is where we are going to have to disagree. Our wills are not of such a libertarian nature that it can be compared to God's. God alone is absolutely free. The will of is free, but not independantly and absolutely so. This was proved in my previous post as to God's sovereignty over the heart's of men. Consider what Gill writes concerning this:

I agree with him here. To advocate an absolute liberty of will to man, is for him to pretent he IS God, and the height of arrogance and sin. They are essentially saying "Our lips are our own, who is Lord over us?"

I think many of us have greatly misapplied Romans 1-2. We read it of every indivdual man beginning from his birth, when I believe it is concerning all manking from the beginning of creation.

As to what a natual man may know or not know concerning the salvation of God could be a long discussion. My understanding from Scripture that concerning the natural man, eye has not seen, ear has not heard, the things that God has prepared for them that love Him. But He has revealed them to us who love Him by His Spirit. The knowledge of God's salvation in Christ Jesus has not entered the heart of man. But the knowledge of His power, Godhead, et. according to Romans one, is evident to them being understood through creation. This the natural man may percieve and is what folks call general revelation.

God bless.

RB

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

I've said this before -- that you "jumped ship," RB. You are a believer who then studied Calvinism and not, what often happens, and unregenerate Calvinist.

We don't HAVE to disagree. The only reason our wills are not like God's is that we do not know all that God knows. His will is "free" on account of His knowledge. Our will is free to the extent that we have His knowledge or knowledge of Him. This is where "things that are made" comes in (Rom 1:19-20). This is where preaching comes in.

Or pretend, as we all do, that we know better than God. knowledge and will are inexorably connected, RB. The knowledge God gives leaves man no excuse for not believing. God created everything in accordance with what He knew. Man can only believe to the extent and regarding things that he knows. But God draws all men with the knowledge of Himself (Whether Christ in NT or one God in OT).

Calvinism is right that we are in bondage unless we can learn nothing about God. They are WRONG in citing 1Cor 2:14, etal. saying unregenerate man cannot learn anything about God. Nature and the preaching of the gospel both reveal the knowledge of God and draw men toward a free will, informed decision about God and Christ.

So how about through preaching? Doesn't "free will" indeed hinge upon knowledge of God and NOT upon as indwelling Spirit already "given" to an unbeliever??

skypair

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Was it predestined before the foundation of the earth that some people would hijack every thread that comes through this forum, or is it the free will of a couple of obnoxious minds?

5. ReformedBaptist

Actually, that is not the case with me. Just for clarification, I didn't study Calvinism in the sense of reading works and polemics on the doctrines of grace until after I was convinced of many parts of it from Scripture. But even if a calvinist or something written by a calvinist worked to change my view, I would be grateful to God for that brother to show me the way of God more perfectly.

You will have to explain for you mean by an unregenerate calvinist. I lost you on that one.

I think we have to. lol God is free in regard to His will, not merely because His knowledge in infinite, but in the main because He is Sovereign.

I agree with you here in that man can only believe on what he knows. Otherwise, why would the Scripture say, "Faith comes by hearing, and by hearing the Word of God, and how shall they hear unless one preaches.." (I am paraphrasing from memory) As far as God drawing all men I do not see in Scripture. I see that God has given knowledge of Himself to all and every man who is born in the world, but not unto salvation. Some God has given up to their sins.

Perhaps you can provide some sort of exegesis on 1 Cor 1-2 that we may instructed more perfectly and shown how our understanding of the text falls short. Until you, or someone, does I am persuded by Scripture that the natural man cannot understand the things of God, that is, the hidden wisdom which is in Christ Jesus.

When we discuss the operation of God the Holy Spirit in causing a man to be regenerated (born again) we speak of something which our Lord Jesus described metaphorically as the wind, knowing not where it comes and where it goes, but hearing the sound (the result) of it. So is everyone who is born agan.

When I see the operation of God at work in Acts, I see God working toward His predertimed purpose and will according to His ordained means: preaching of the Gospel.

6. ReformedBaptist

To what and to whom are you referring?

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

First, what does it mean by they have "no excuse?" No excuse not to know God? But if they know God, should they not choose to pursue Him unto salvation as the only One who can save?

What does Christ saying "And if I be lifted up, I will draw ALL men to Me" mean then (John 12:32)?

Why, indeed, did God give us the scriptures?

And why, if God meant to draw all men but only to Christ, did He NOT supply a Christ -- a "stumbling block and foolishness" -- for the OT Jews and Gentiles/"strangers" to be saved by?

Not everything of God is "hidden wisdom." Hidden wisdom, as 1Cor 2:11 says, "even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. " You can't know the things of God until you are indwelt by the Spirit. They are like "particular revelation" I guess you would call it.

However, the words of the gospel, like the Bible itself, are "general revelation." Ask any man why Christ died and he will likely know for sin. They will know He was resurrected. They will know that there are people claim to be saved by that knowledge. This is the knowledge that Paul imparted in 1Cor 2:1-5. Do you claim that most men know about Noah, Moses, Abraham, Jesus? There is no "mystery" about these that qualify them as "hidden wisdom of God in mystery," 2:7 All you are doing is taking 1Cor 1:18 and comparing it to 1Cor 2:14, right? In 1:18, it is PREACHING that is foolishness -- BUT (1:21) "it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe." God is not known by worldly wisdom but by preaching, 1:21 which Paul is careful to say he did in 1Cor 2:1-5.

The natural man can understand preaching though. It is the preaching of Peter at Pentecost -- natural men flocked to Christ on that day. Cornelius could understand it, the jailer could.

Maybe this will highlight the issue: Before you were saved, are you claiming that you were a "spiritual man?" Regenerated before you believed? If so, then you are not saved because remember, it is by preaching that you are born again/regenerated/given the hidden wisdom of God.

What YOU apparently heard and believed (if you claim regeneration before beleif) was NOT the gospel of salvation that Jesus and the apostles taught that the brings men to life. You would be trusting in a god who says he will give you his wisdom before he gives you salvation.

Here's the nub of it as I read it last night in "All the Dortrines of the Bible" --- you must be CONVERTED (turn to God of your own will) BEFORE you can be REGENERATED by the exclusive work of God.

Yeah, but apparently you won't admit how in each instance, the unsaved, natural men chose Christ and were saved.

skypair

#27 skypair, Sep 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  8. ReformedBaptist

From Romans we see two types of revelation that you have referred to here. 1. Particular Revelation, or special revelation. v. 16-17 where the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith in the Gospel. 2. General revelation. God's power, Godhead through things that have been made "from the creation of the world" v.20. This sets the time frame what is spoken of the "they" in verses 21-32

Skypair, the text of Scripture teaches me that Paul is not speaking of the beginning of every human life, but of the history of the world. And it is, although they knew God, as past tense, not know God, as present tense. This history shows the progressive fall of man from a state of innocence and intimacy with God, to the sad state of idolatry, sin, uncleaness, and all manner of sin.

On thing I have found natural to man, and that is a sense of judgment, as it is written in v.32. But never is it natural to fallen man to know Gospel of Jesus Christ. Nor is it necessary that they do know it to be condemned of God, nor even the Law of God, but even their conscience because a law to them, showing the Law of God written upon their hearts.

It means that through the death of Christ, not only Jews, but men out of every nation, tongue and tribe will be drawn and saved, having it secured for them and in His death.

God gave His Word to His people, and to them only. His Word being His special revelation to His covenant people.

The Jews have not all stumbled have they? For there is a remnant according to the election of grace. Rom 11:1-5

I agree with this.

In the main I agree with you, except that the Gospel is general revelation. Yes, the world knows of Jesus, what others believe about Him, et. as you say. But to them it is foolishness, but to us it is the power of God. Is this truth relative then? By no means. They are in blindness, knowing the facts but denying them. They go on in their own wisdom, but in their own wisdom have not come to know God.

And your right, it pleased God that He would save believers through preaching, which the world finds most foolish. And we see this in our calling too. God chose many of us, unwise, foolish, base, et. things that are not. Why? That no flesh should glory in His presense.

"But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." v.30-31

I see in this statement a missing truth. That it is by the Word of God we are born again, not the will of man, et. Unregenerate man does not procur for himself the new birth, but God does it, quickening, granting repentence and faith, indwelling the man, shining His light in their darkness.

Before I was born again/regenerated I was dead in my trespasses and sins. When the Gospel came to me at that particular time I wondered if it could be true, but I did not "make a decision for Christ" before I was born again. If I say I did, I would be a liar. A calling came, "Arise O sinner, and Christ will shine on thee." And this calling came with power and I was filled with light of Christ. In that very instant I believed. I also repented as evidenced by the fruit of my life. It was not much different than how we read of Cornelius and his house recieving salvation. While Peter was still speaking the Holy Spirit fell upon them. Same thing happened to me except for the tongues.

The Gospel of my salvation is Christ and Him crucified and risen from the dead. It is Him I have believed and trusted. Herein is my testimony: "...of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: " It is OF HIM that I am IN Christ Jesus, not of me. And Christ Jesus is my wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption. If that makes you think I am not saved, then I am not sure what salvation is to you. But this is the Salvation of the Lord.

If that were the case i would have never come to God, for there is none to seeks after God.

Since the Scripture denies it, so will I.

9. ReformedBaptist

Skypair,

As I was thinking about this, it occured to me that you and I are really disagreeing concerning the nature of man's free-will and to what extent it is free. My impression is that you look to Adam and see a will free to choose good or evil and then extend that freedom of the will to Adam's posterity.

I agree that Adam's will was completely free (though not sovereignly, for he was still under the authority of God) but free to the extend that he had the ability to choose good or evil, yet being wholly inclined to do good, spiritually speaking. When he fell into transgression this inclination to righteousness was lost and subsequently lost to all his posterity so that man is no longer inclined to good, but to evil.

Man's mind is cable of choosing or refusing none deny. Men act without complusion accoding to one's desires or inclinations. Man will choose what he prefers, or else what he does not prefer. In this sense man's will is free and not forced. Man could be said then to be a free moral agent, choosing or refusing what seems good to him.

In the state sin, the free agency of man will choose what he pleases, according to his nature, and that nature is inclinded to evil. This free agency of man is not outside the rule of God.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

RB, I don't agree that man is only inclined to do evil. Adam ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. He now knows evil in addition to good. It wasn't called the tree of evil, but of good and evil.

Up until Satan tempted Adam and Eve, their only choice was to do good. But once the tempter came, he brought a choice with him. Where there is one thing, there is no choice.

We still have that same knowledge of good and evil that was revealed to Adam when he ate the fruit. We can do good and follow the commandment of God, or we can do evil and follow Satan.

I don't see where God wiped out all knowledge of Himself when He commanded Adam to leave the garden.

Cain had the same knowledge of good that Abel had, but chose not to do good.

We see in Romans 1 that God has given all men a revelation of Himself in His creation and the conscience that He places within each one.

So, I see that man has a knowledge of both good and of evil, just as did Adam did when he ate the fruit and is able to choose between the two.

11. ReformedBaptist

When I wrote the post I thought to qualify it by "spiritually" good. But, I got lazy. lol

How do you square your thinking here with Romans 3 where Paul proved both Jews and Gentiles under sin and described it according to the Psalms? v.10

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hi lazy bones,
    I'm not sure what you're question is. No one is righteous by God's standards once they've sinned. We have all sinned, therefore we are not righteous. (Not talking about babies, that's another talk show :)) Our righteousness comes from Christ through our faith in Him. Whether a Jew or Gentile doesn't matter, because He has written His law on our hearts in the form of the conscience. That's why no one has an excuse (between the God given conscience and general revelation in nature, God has given man what he needs to seek God).
    This doesn't mean that we don't have a choice when it comes to eternal life that God offers us. As I said we have the knowledge of good and evil and the responsiblity to choose good, which means reaching out to God for our salvation.

Edit: God did not say the tree of "spiritually" good and evil. :)

#32 Amy.G, Sep 9, 2007
  13. ReformedBaptist

Hmmm.... No one denies man is reponsible either to their own conscience or the Law of God (if they know it) or to obey the Gospel if they have heard it. Yet the Scripture says none seeks God.

Concerning the effect of the tree all we know is Adam and Even knew the difference between good and evil, and the unhappy results that followed.

What folks seem to contend for is in order for man to be responsible they must must also be able to do what God commands. I don't think man must have the ability to do what is spiritually good for God to demand obedience. Just because mankind lost their ability to obey God (either in Law or Gospel) does not negate God's authority to command them to obey His Law and repent and believe the Gospel.

14. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Sorry if I appear to be nit picking, but it is not the same thing to say:

God saw what would happen in the future and determined that that would be His plan.

and to say,

God determined what would happen in the future and so that was His plan.

Neither of these is totally right, and neither is totally wrong.

With regard to man's free will, God knows what all men will do, both actual and potential. Yet God chooses to act upon the free will of some men to the degree that He chooses them unto salvation. God would have been righteous if He let us all go to hell, but God is also a merciful and gracious God. Therefore, He chose some of us to believe on Christ.

This is very important – He did not choose us because He knew according to His divine prescience that we would believe anyway, rather we believe because God chose us according to His perfect will and sovereignty.

Unless I read you wrong, and I have done that before, you were saying that God chose us because He foreknew who would be saved. I am saying that God's foreknowledge was not merely prescience election, but sovereign election based on His perfect will, not ours.

As far as God's prescience being a determinative factor, God foreknew that Adam would sin, that some men (most in fact) would never accept His grace in salvation. His determination not to intervene in the rebellious self-will of men and to allow them to choose hell would be a kind of determination based on prescience. God allows men to choose hell because He chooses not to intervene in the lives of many. He would be fair if He chose not to intervene in the lives of ANY. He is merciful, gracious, and loving in that He determines to draw some to Himself in a manner that will effectively guarantee both our salvation and our security. Left to our own will, none of us would have come. It was His grace that drew us. NOR does He draw all men to the same degree.

He is not willing that any should perish. It is not His DESIRE that any should be lost, but in His sovereign plan He chooses to allow most men to continue in their blindness and rebellion to the end that they will be lost. When speaking of the "will of God" it may be helpful to distinguish between His desire and His sovereign plan.

Jesus did not want to go the cross. Yet, that was His plan from eternity past. To speak of God as having desires is to represent the infinite God in anthropomorphic terms, inadequate, to say the least. However, we must recognize that God's sovereign plan may differ from His desires to accomplish His glory.

If we were saying the same thing, sorry for my misunderstanding. Sometimes I do indeed read more into a post than is there, a problem with being OCD analytical. But, please believe me, in spite of my foibles, I do indeed mean well!

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

1Ch 16:10 Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad.

1Ch 16:11 Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually.

1Ch 28:9 "As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.

2Ch 7:14 and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Psa 9:10 And those who know Your name will put their trust in You, For You, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.

Act 17:26 and He made from one {man} every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined {their} appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,
    Act 17:27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

#35 Amy.G, Sep 9, 2007
  16. ReformedBaptist

I think there is confusion between unregenerate and God's people. Christians as well as the saints under the old covenant can be said to seek God. Romans is speaking of the condition of mankind before they are brought into covenant relationship with God.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I edited my post to add:

Act 17:26 and He made from one {man} every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined {their} appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,
    Act 17:27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

18. ReformedBaptist

Ok Amy, if we are going to quote Scriptures to one another, then here:

Now, apparantly you have a contradiction.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Seems we both do. :)

20. ReformedBaptist

I see no contradication in Scripture.